Can not burn on dvd

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by motik, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motik

motik Registered Member

I use True Image 8.0 on a machine running XP Home. I can make an Image of the entire hdd using cdr's.

However, when I try to burn it to a DVD using a third-party writing software I keep getting a failure: error E00070004 states that the reason could be poor media quality.
    can I get some help?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Talk about a question from the past! This used to be one of the common questions back before TI started to support writing directly to DVD somewhere in the TI9 era. Naturally, it didn't stop the questions, just changed them.:D

IIRC, you have to format the disks for UDF packet-writing before attempting to write to them. You can use Nero or Roxio for this and perhaps other burning programs.

The best recommendation was to avoid the above and save the archive to a HD with a suitable split-size. The often recommended split size was 1492 MB which gives a file size that lets 3 fit nicely on a DVD and uses the ISO file system. This is referred to as the 2-step process: create the archive files and then burn them to DVDs using your favorite burning program. In the burn process, be sure to use the burning program's "verify after burning" feature.

The 2-step process is the only one I ever used and I have since abandoned DVDs as a backup media.

3. motik

motik Registered Member

thank you quick answer

4. TripleDES

TripleDES Registered Member

Newb to TI 2009 so I'm asking if this is the best method. I just created an image that requires 8 DVD's and Windows Vista takes forever and a day to burn them to disk.

Is there a better way of maintaining an image? I plan on re-imaging this machine often. Shall I just create a partition strictly as a repository for my image??

5. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

No Ifs Ands or Buts ... use an external hard drive instead, (or a second internal) moreso if you plan to make images often. With 8 DVDs, if you have to restore, you'll be swapping discs in and out till the cows come home. If you want the extra security of having a second set of backups, first specify a split size when making the Image to the usb drive, then burn those splits to dvd with your burning software.

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The way I do it, if anybody cares:

Primary backup is made to second internal HD. This isn't the best insurance against a common-mode failure but the vast majority of HD failures are restricted to one HD. Since an internal is very fast and always present, it encourages making images.

Secondary backup is made by copying selected (not all) images to external HD at some interval which is the nice way of saying, "when I feel like it!". I have more than one external HD and rotate them. I keep as many old backups as possible on any of the drives - never only have one backup copy. I consider an image backup to be secondary to my data files. I can always restore Windows and the apps, it would just be a PITA time-sink but some of the data files are available nowhere else.

I used to only use USB externals but have since installed HD tray/caddies which is much faster to copy to. I still use the USB drives as well. eSATA drives would also offer the same improvement.

I only image my C partition which is OS and apps only (no important data files). I prefer to keep my data files in their native format and I use SyncBackSE for that. They are copied to the same internal and external HDs. I have a SyncBack job that does an incremental back every evening.

Once or twice a year I make copies to store at my neighbours house in case of a total loss due to fire or theft. I used to do this with DVDs but it has become too slow and now I just put the files on an old IDE HD and store it.

For very few, important files such as income tax, financial spreadsheet, etc, I encrypt them and store them on some personal webspace. If you don't have that option, just email them to yourself using Google, Yahoo or whatever mail and let them back them up for you:D :D :D . Be sure you encrypt them if it matters to you.

BTW, I leave copies of my email on the email server as a backup. It does require going into it every now an then and cleaning it up. I only use the Windows My Documents folder as a scratch area; my important files are kept in my own data file folder structure outside of C. My Documents can be moved out of C if you wish, though.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  7. TripleDES

Thanks for sharing. I don't have a secondary HD on this particular laptop and I don't want to use an external.

However, I could split the current partition and create a secondary partition strictly for the images and have a set of disks as a last resort. I understand the argument that the former doesn't help in the event of hardware failure on the HD, but it's not a concern.

Is it possible to use True Image to split the current partition?

8. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

TripleDes,

RE: post #7

Use the TI 2009 Rescue CD to perform any and all TI restore functions.

You could use the TI2009 restore procedure and change/reduce the system partition size during the restore procedure. Following the restore, you would end up with left over unallocated space. Then create a new partition within the unallocated space using Windows.

Or another alternative would be to
    Use TI2009 Add disks option and create 2 partitions of whatever size you wish. Then use the TI Restore procedure and restore your C partition into the now smaller first partition.
    The new partition 2 would be your data partition used to store your backup archives.

Another lessor alternative might be the use of the Acronis Secure Zone.

9. TripleDES

Thanks Grover. I'm doing a quick RTFM and reading about the Secure Zone and leaning towards this solution as the repository for my image backups. Can the SZ be accessed through the boot disk??

10. Tatou

Tatou Registered Member

In my mind the first question you have to ask is how reliable do you want the backup to be or put another way- how critical is the stuff being backed up. If it is pictures excel/word files you can't lose then you need to have backup with maximum redundancy.

There are pros and cons for different methods and it will depend on what you are backing up (system drive/partition or just data files)

If all the backups are to one drive if the drive crashes then you lose data- period

If the backups are to another internal drive and the PC is stolen or destroyed (say fire) then the data is lost. If the backup is to an external drive but it is in the same place as the original the risk is the same from fire or theft.

As readers will know I backup my data in their native format with Karen's Replicator to 2 sets of external drives one - set which is stored remotely from the PC as there are files I just do not wish to lose.

My system drive is also backed up with ATI as a tib file weekly and stored on external drives. I could rebuild the system disk if I had to but do not wish to

I would not backup to DVDs or the Secure Zone or an internal drive.

11. TripleDES

Tatou,
    I understand the inherent risks. This particular laptop is for testing various applications and different operating systems. I don't have sensitive files (which by the way, I use a combination of local and off site backup solutions for).

I just need to determine the most efficient and convenient method is for re-imaging it when needed. Using 8 DVD's is the last alternative and I prefer not attaching an external or secondary HD to this unit.

Therefore, I'm looking into SZ and separate partitions.

12. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Forum contributor Xpilot is a major user and advocate of using the Secure zone for certain specific purposes. You can look for some of his posts. Also there is links on the Secure zone in the sticky listed on first line of my signature.

The Secure zone is managed using TruImage. The user cannot view or maniupulate its contents except from inside TI. I would not recommend that you use the optional Startup Recovery Manager.

13. Tatou

Tatou Registered Member

Good to see you have thought about the acceptable risks

Given your acceptance of your current redundancy I would upgrade to ATI2009, create WINPE or BARTPE bootdisk or USB drive using the PE True Image Plugin- have to download separately. Don't know if ATI 8 offers a Plugin

This would give you a boot disk that would be fast and able to handle all systems you add to the PC.

If the ATI 8 bootdisk restores to your particular machine OK then you can use its Linux based system of course,

Create a separate partition with a suitable programme.

Backup C partition from Bootdisk Linux or PE and store in new partition.

Restore C partition as needed.

NOTE: IF you haven't tried a successful restore then you don't know it will actually work when needed. Read GroverH suggestions.

Most people suggest trying a restore to a spare disk to make sure it will work.
    If this is not possible then you can go through the restore process until you get to the proceed prompt and then stop. Validate all images you make when you create them

Hope all works OK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.