v4 IDS killing internet connection

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by SEMEYE, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEMEYE

SEMEYE Registered Member

well, most of us are still having issues i see. I haven't checked the forums in a while and i was hoping to see some good news about the v4 firewall today. i guess i'll have to wait a bit longer.

2. s4u

s4u Registered Member

yep, still the same here. therefore I choose to use ESS with Prevx on the side and disable IDS in ESS

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Just a bit. Newer installers are being tested right now and will be available for download shortly. They will be announced here at Wilders as well.

4. SEMEYE

SEMEYE Registered Member

Thank you, Marcos. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that a fix can't come fast enough.

5. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

no new version release yet

6. Marcos

7. silverfox55

silverfox55 Registered Member

A bit of confusion here. The most recent post says 1044 yet previous posts say 1045 which is more recent.

Can we please have some clarification on this, and does it resolve all issues. Information from ESET is very wooly and not very clear on this Matter. Also when is this mtter going to be officially notified on this forum.

8. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

The patch is 1045 dated 25 March 2009.

But if 1044 is working for you, is it necessary to replace it?

For me it hasn't been overwritten - though if you have test mode enabled and perform a manual update - it will be.

I would suggest one extra step in the install procedure mapped out on the Eset website - don't delete the original file just rename it as ' em008_32.dat.old' or similar, that way you can always revert back if 1045 gives you problems.

Colin

Colin

9. SBMongoos

SBMongoos Registered Member

Thought this 1045 fix was going to work. However getting disconnects again.

10. trial and error

trial and error Registered Member

Thank you for the heads-up on this Marcos.

At the same time, I'm baffled that this fix hasn't been sent out to folks that have "Always update program components" and "Offer restart if nessecary" checked in our advanced options.

Take those off the menu if they don't do anything.

I just manually installed it and it works great here.

Yes I know it is afternoon on the 31st in the eastern USA and the fix was out on the 28th. This is a BIG PRIORITY in my mind and to many others. It SHOULD BE with Eset.
    I didn't bother to contact Eset directly, I've used them since 2.4 I believe, and I have recieved the standard replies before. (I'm being nice here, but my current subscription expires at the end of the summer.) I dumped Norton right after XP SP2 came out and discovered NOD32.

I'm running Win7x64b. I don't post here regularly, but I do find the answers I need when I can't figure them out myself.

Please don't disregard this as one of the "whiney posts" that I see here and everywhere www from the immature.

** WOW, that was a super-fast response Agoretsky, didn't realise Eset valued my opinion so much :) If I'm gone for another year from here then I'm happy with it and still have an ESS license **

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  11. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

ESET Smart Security v4.0.417.0 has been released which contains a number of fixes and updates. If you are experiencing a problem with a previous build of the software then please update to this version and let ESET know the results.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

12. eisefr

eisefr Registered Member

Looks like a new BETA-Test to me.
    Thats how it should be declared since problems with 1045 are already reported !

13. Marcos

Before making such conclusions, I'd suggest:
    1, does disabling the firewall make a difference? If so, turn on the firewall and enable logging blocked connections. Then check the firewall log for details about blocked connection attempts. There might be an attack detected which causes the firewall to blocked the connection. You can try disabling IDS rules to narrow it down to the one that is blocking the connection.

2, if disabling the firewall doesn't help, go to the Protocol filtering setup and disable application protocol content filtering. Does it make a difference?

If none of the above suggestions worked, create a log from Wireshark with all communication captured and email it to support[at]eset.com along with a link to this thread.

14. eisefr

eisefr Registered Member

I dont want to TRY around anymore.

I want to pay, to downlad.. to install.. and to use !

Thats how it was with version 3.. and how it should be with version 4 !

15. Marcos

If you are having an issue but refuse to cooperate, you can either downgrade to v3 or explain the issue to your local distributor and ask him to refund you the money.

16. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

He should not need mess about to get it to work.

It has the same bugs from Beta through to RC as now as it was rushed for the Tech Conference.

Certainly was not fit for RTM and why should he now beta test it and waste hours of his time ?

I think I am going back to v3 for now and requesting a total refund, I had some issues with that bad 3-4 builds on v3 after .650 before they were fixed.

That's months of waiting and messing with PC instead of enjoying it.

17. Hotep

Hotep Registered Member

I totally agree! I have never seen such poor customer support & such a blatantly obvious condescending attitude. (Marcos) You speak to people as though everyone in this forum is a computer expert. This product should run out the box! Some glitches are expect, but it would be much easier to swallow if there was a sense of empathy for your paying customers instead of the snide comments!

"If one customer is satisfied, he may tell a few, but if one customer is dissatisfied, you better believe he will tell as many as he can!"

I love ESET products but this is becoming too much!

18. SBMongoos

Still having disconnects even after completely removing the previously updated version to .417. Other machines are fine as they are running v3.

19. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

So far, I've only had one slow down connection, and that was before I rebooted after the install of 417.

I disobeyed orders and just installed over the top of 413 with 1045.

I've yet to test it on my laptop.

Desktop - XPproSP3

I have ARP/DNS poisining disabled and TCP overload and Block unsafe addresses disbaled at this moment.

It installed itself with Automatic mode enabled - I've just changed that to interactive to see if that makes a difference.

Colin

20. eisefr

eisefr Registered Member

For support:
    http://screencast.com/t/t2kd8Q4Qn

21. RickD

RickD Registered Member

Does the new version posted fix the internet bug?

If not then I am not going to bother putting in on untill a version is out that does.

I bought 3 coppies of this a few days ago and noticed right away my internet dropping.

I hadnt even read the forums at that time, elected to try version 3, have not had a problem since I did that and now I see this thread...

I will not put on version 4 untill it is definite that this problem is gone, why would I bother, I certainly did not pay 90 bucks to test software and have my internet crap out.

22. Temp Member

Is your issue the FW or the WEB AXX and HTTP Scanners that are messing with your surfing ?

23. RickD

RickD Registered Member

I don't know which is mine, when I bought and installed the other day it was all defualt settings but I noticed within no time at all the spuradic internet dropping during just normal surfing.

24. Temp Member

Well until this new build (the fix build we got yesterday) I had no FW issues and even then it simply stops the web working not cause slow downs.

I think I have cured the new builds FW issue by getting FW .44 over .40 that Auto updates downgraded it to as soon as I installed it (may need run update in Test Mode).

I have had the WEB AXX and HTTP scanners issues in the Beta/RC and now Final builds.

For some reason disabling the AV will not fix it, you need disable the actual settings and you can then leave AV enabled.

This should make the ESS Icon Orange instead of Blue but on the Final version it only did this for 1 restart, its blue all the time.

I have stated/admitted it may only be 1 of those 2 settings to blame but I got sick fed up with trial and error of this ESS v4 so tied it down to the 2 settings and both are off till if ever ESS can fix it.

I will brave it later and turn them both on once I make sure FW and Windows Mail are ok on this build.

25. SBMongoos

Updated to .417 yesterday afternoon. Coming in this a.m. I'm dropping connections and the speed for the web (Firefox) is rather slow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.