Malware Defender 2.0.2 is released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by xiaolin, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xiaolin

xiaolin Registered Member

2. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Thanks Xiaolin for the bug fixes.

Lu Chin

3. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

Im holding my breath till vista LUA compatibility

4. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Thank you Xiaolin. :thumb:
    2.0.2 up and running, smooth as always. :D

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Indeed, thank you for your efforts xiaolin. As usual it works brilliantly with featherlight system impact :)

6. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

Really impressed with this software!
    For me the interface is intuitive; very easy to navigate through the abundance of options available.
    I use this along with Jetico 2, both programs adjusted so that there is no overlap.
    Keep up the good work:thumb:

7. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I am using MD as a FW, with zero pop-ups and very low CPU usage

8. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I tried MD a while ago. It was pretty quiet but how do you get zero pop-ups?

9. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Probably not 0 but certainly close to O.It has autolearn mode.Enable it do whatever you do on your pc on a daily basis,and that's it.Disable it after
    There are some special ocassions(windows,software updates since this actionS may trigger both file&network protection )when it's possible that you may encounter additional pop-ups.
    I did not use MD for long but i can see why it's become popular here ,it's a good working app.

10. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

In silent mode.

11. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

Tested the Network protection mode last night. Again I was very impressed at first. However I began to notice that it wasn't prompting for all traffic inbound or outbound.

For example:

1, Firefox requests both TCP Inbound and Outbound to Localhot(127.0.0.1), yet there is only a prompt for Outbound, no Inbound.

2, My email manager usually makes 4 requests: DNS Lookups X2, an Outbound to 110 (POP) and Outbound to 995 (POP SSL). My mail is retrieved however there is no rule for the 995 (POP SSL) even though the other three rules are both remote host and remote port specified. In other words; I do not get a popup for port 995!

3, Svchost should require both Inbound and Outbound for the DHCP rules yet my rule contains only the oubound connect to remote port 67 from local port 68, Broadcast address 255.255.255.255. There is no Inbound from my routers address!!

Anyone else notice this behavior?

Also the network rules order is slightly difficult to work with. Lets say we are building rules for a P2P program e.g. uTorrent. Normally I will build my rules as prompted, this went very well using Malware Defender until my rules were complete and I needed to add the final 'Block other' network traffic rule at the end. This resulted in all rules I had created were now redundant and I had to go back into the configuration to move the 'Block all' rule to the top.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  12. xiaolin

Hi,

The inbound connection to 127.0.0.1 is allowed internally.

I am not sure about 2 and 3. Which version of Windows are you using?

Thanks,
    Xiaolin

13. xiaolin

Malware Defender 2.0.3 is released

English version: http://www.torchsoft.com/download/md_setup.exe
    Spanish version: http://www.torchsoft.com/download/md_setup_esn.exe

what's new?
    - Added support to display different tray icon if not all protections are enabled. (descriptions of tray icons are added to Help file -> Options -> Protection Settings)
    - Fixed a bug that may block file reading actions incorrectly.
    - Fixed a bug that may cause MD crash when handling invalid IP address.

14. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

Thanks for the info on that rule
    2, is not prompting for rules needed yet allowing the outbound traffic
    3, DHCP usually has 2 rules: Broadcast out for IP then reply from router with IP, I only have 1 Outbound rule. I do not not get an inbound prompt.
    I have Windows XP Professional.

Thank you

15. xiaolin

2. I will try to reproduce it.

3. In Windows XP, MD detect UDP inbound/outbound connections based on the first received/sent packet. If a connection is permitted, all in and out packets are allowed.

16. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

Port 995 SSL, address: pop3.live.com, bypasses the Network Protection
    Again, thanks for the confirmation.

17. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Because of poor eyesight, many older people set their computer to display at 120DPI by means of...

Right-click desktop >Properties >Settings >Advanced >General Tab >DPI Settings

PROBLEM -- At 120DPI, MD's Rule-setting menu is so large that it will NOT fully appear on the computer screen -- not even on one as large as 22".

Therefore, users at 120DPI are unable to click the OK button in order to make rule changes. This makes it very difficult to use MD. Can it be fixed?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since no one else has reported this problem, it seems likely that there is a conflict which is unique to your computer's set-up.

18. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

I just tested this bellgamin and it looks fine here on my system(1900X1200 -15.4 LCD).
    Does changing the font size from within Malware Defender make any difference?
    Edit: Forget about changing the font size.

19. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Did you test at 120DPI? Even so, multiple computers here (all on WinXP) manifest the same issue. MD's Rule-setting is HUGE!

20. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Many younger too! I find it much more relaxing! :D

This is very common problem. It's the "large fonts" issue. It CAN be fixed by the developer. Happened to me many times with various applications. It occurs, because many devs don't think that some users use large fonts and so they don't test their product to see if the GUI is correctly scaled for large fonts too.

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i have it at 800 by 600 true colors;)

22. Fuzzfas

You run 1900x1200 on 15,4 inch LCD monitor and with normal fonts tooo_O :ninja: I hope you know a good ophthalmologist, because after years, you 're gonna need it! Unless you have a new kind of super monitor, your native resolution is 1024x768. Using 1900x1200 on 15,4 inch with default DPI should make characters really tiny!

LCDs have a native resolution, which is the *only* one in which they are supposed to work 100% properly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_resolution

23. Fuzzfas

If you have an LCD, you must set it to its native resolution. And if you think characters are small, use large fonts (120 DPI). Using lower resolution than the native, blurs the image (see link from wikipedia above) and thus kills your eyes and degrades image quality. Refresh rate in LCDs doesn't matter, most are adviced to be set at 60 Hz.

If you have a CRT monitor, 800 x 600 is fine only for 14 inch monitors. From 15 inch to 17 inch, you should set it at 1024x768, refresh at least 85 Hz and then large fonts.

Don't kill your eyes people!

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i have lcd:D it looks better:)

25. Fuzzfas

:ninja: No it doesn't, no it doesn't! Believe me! You are just accustomed to it, just like a friend of my fathers' who had a film of greyish dust on his monitor screen and he was so used to it that when i told him "how can you look through that thing!", he said "really? i see nothing strange". When i wiped it out he said "Wow! You were right! It seems like new now!".

If you have 17 to 19 inch LCD, do this: resolution 1280x1024, refresh rate : 60 Hz, DPI : use large fonts. It can be that you have 1024x768 native resolution, you much check your monitor's specs, but most new models are 1280x1024.

Then we 'll talk again. You will have more workspace in the desktop, increased crispness (because you 're running blurry now!!!) and comfortably readable characters, as in the 800x600.

IT DOESN'T LOOK BETTER AT 800x600, it looks BAD! I know! If you play games at lower resolutions you notice the interpolation IMMEDIATELY and you think "Wow, the image isn't crisp! It's blurry!".

The resolutions aren't made by "accident", nor any resolution is meant for ANY size monitor! Just because your video card can display a resolution, doesn't mean it's the one for which the monitor manufacturer reccommends and has the monitor calibrated for optimal performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.