eset smart security firewall & matousec firewall challenge

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by andreas73, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andreas73

andreas73 Registered Member

Dear ladies and sirs,

after changing to Eset Internet Security, I found a comparative firewall test done by Matousec.com.

http://http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php

It seems like the Eset internal firewall could use some further work?!?

Perhaps someone with knowledge could comment on those Matousec-results. And perhaps even someone from Eset could try and make their firewall look good in these tests. Then ESET Internet Security users like me, would not have to worry and questions their firewall choice.

Thank you very much & Best Regards
    Andreas73

P.S. Oh, and I am not in any way related to those Matousec folks. Still I like to see the firewall/ antivirus that I use to be fairly competitive in ANY test - as long is the test is somewhat reasonable.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This has been discussed here numeorus times. The thing is you cannot take just one module from the whole suite and run some tests against it. Standalone firewalls must depend on behavior blocking, in ESS it's done by advanced heuristics used by other modules. If ESS was tested as a whole, it would have scored much better.

3. stackz

stackz Registered Member

Reading these test results prompts me to ask what exactly constitutes something being classed as a firewall? Why not run the tests turning off all other features of the applications that score highly e.g HIPS, to see what the firewall actually does block??

4. toddzy

toddzy Registered Member

Hi Marcos, please don't hate me :'( but Matousec have confirmed (via email) that they run the tests with all protection modules active. I wrote a little something here about that.

5. stratoc

stratoc Guest

of course they do! don't really know how you can test just the firewall, there are 5 'suites' above eset and im sure they didnt just test the firewall on those either!

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

how about a deal; Eset works on improving their software, which they do anyway, and matousec works on removing their mercenary business model

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.