Bug Report: Compatibility with Office 2007

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by gisuck, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gisuck

gisuck Registered Member

I like to report a problem with EAV4 and Microsoft Office Enterprise (Home Use Program) 2007 SP1 on Windows Vista Business x64 SP1. The problem is always reproducible.

For some reason, these two products are in conflict for proper operational use. Whenever EAV4 is installed, Outlook 2007 is virtually unusable. My Outlook is not on the LAN/VPN with the Exchange server and only gets Exchange based updates using HTTP/RPC Proxy built inside the client. Only when uninstalling EAV4 is uninstalled is Outlook usable again.

For example, please note the startup times below:

Full EAV4 protection: 2:03
    EAV4 protection disabled, toolbar not enabled: 1:49
    EAV4 uninstalled: 0:34
    EAV4 cleanly reinstalled (deleted local/roaming/programdata/program files directories and registry cleanup) and full protection enabled: 1:46
    EAV4 protection disabled, toolbar not enabled: 1:46

I have taken a sysinspector snapshot if you want to look at this issue. I cannot find out what the problem is as Outlook is not consuming CPU usage during the startup process.

Code:
    Virus signature database: 3623 (20081118)
    Update module: 1026 (20081114)
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1160 (20081118)
    Advanced heuristics module: 1082 (20081107)
    Archive support module: 1085 (20081106)
    Cleaner module: 1035 (20081110)
    Anti-Stealth support module: 1007 (20081107)
    System status module: 1200 (20080904)
    Self-Defense support module : 1005 (20081105)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  2. gisuck

gisuck Registered Member

Am I the only one who has this problem? I hate to think I'm the only one that has a company smart enough to setup HTTP/RPC...

3. gisuck

gisuck Registered Member

I figured out the problem. I have a second exchange mailbox hooked up to my Outlook profile. For some reason ESET doesn't like this secondary mailbox while in cached mode. Performing any actions (such as reading emails, expanding folders, etc.) on this mailbox freezes Outlook for several minutes before I can work again. Disabling cached mode while in the office, and ESET/Outlook performs normal.

This may need some further investigation.

4. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

Exactly.

5. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

Do you have Google Desktop installed/running ? If so, exit GDS and let's see what will happen.

6. gisuck

gisuck Registered Member

No Google Desktop. Just the built in Windows Desktop Search within Vista.

I'm really scratching my head on this one. My desktop setup at the office is identical to the desktop setup at my home, the only difference is that my home setup is using cached mode, and using the http/rpc proxy. I'm not seeing any of the performance issues on my office desktop that I do on my home desktop. Really strange.

I figured out that I can get Outlook to work without issues if I collapse the secondary mailbox folder in folder view so that nothing can be seen. Outlook runs flawlessly. Soon as I try to expand that folder, thats where the performance issues comes in.

All of these problems didn't exist in EAV3, and they go away as soon as I uninstalled EAV4. Disabling protection on EAV4 has no effect on removing the performance issues.

I'm going to try disabling cached mode on my home PC to see if that fixes the problem when I get home tonight. Also I'll try removing the secondary mailbox and readding.

7. gisuck

gisuck Registered Member

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this post. Been busy the past few nights. But anyways, here are my results.

Looks like the issue is with Cached Exchange Mode and secondary mailboxes. When I disabled Cached Mode and just synced mail using HTTP/RPC only, although it took awhile to sync the mail to my computer, it was a lot snappier than using Cached Mode.

mrtwolman, is there anyway I can partner with you on this problem to we can dig deeper into why this is happening?

8. GAN

GAN Registered Member

I tried the beta of Nod32 beta and it looks really good it think, but seems like i have a similar problem as described here. I have Outlook 2007 using HTTP/RPC and have a secondary shared mailbox. When using HTTP/RPC browsing the secondary mailbox is very slow even if i have disabled the SSL protocol scanning.

I also use SSL VPN which seems to be pretty much slower to connect after i installed the beta of Nod32 so seems to me like there is some general issues with SSL and slowdown.

If there is any info i should provide to help finding the problem please let me know. I'm also using Windows Vista Enterprise x64with SP1 if that should be relevant.

gan

9. gisuck

gisuck Registered Member

GAN,

Just wondering if you are not noticing any speed issues when it comes to your own cached email box...

10. GAN

GAN Registered Member

No using cached mode seems to cause no problems for me. For me it seems to be the opposite. For the secondary mailboxes that is not cached i have some huge issues related to the speed, but only when using HTTPS/RPC. When at work or using VPN where i don't use HTTPS/RPC there is no speed issues it seems or at least not any noticable problem.
    The SSL VPN i use seems to connect very slow as well so there seem to be some issues related to the new SSL scanning even if it's disabled. So disable the SSL scanning doesn't solve the problem.

11. gisuck

gisuck Registered Member

I agree. The Cached Mailbox has no problems whatsoever, just the non-cached secondary mailbox has HUGE hang time on the application when syncing. So, we're both on the same problem.

12. GAN

GAN Registered Member

I tried once more to disable the SSL scanning and now it works fine so i might have been wrong about the statement that "disabling SSL scanning does not solve the problem". I'm sure i tried to disable SSL scanning without any change the other day, but i guess i'm wrong since it's working fine now when disabled.

13. gisuck

gisuck Registered Member

that's weird, I have not enabled SSL scan at all, and I'm still seeing this problem... Looks like I'll have mess around in that section to see what happens.

14. GAN

GAN Registered Member

I'm pretty sure i had the problem with SSL scanning disabled as well since i didn't actually use it. Then i tried to enable SSL scanning and change a lot of the settings, but with the same result. Yesterday i disabled SSL scanning and now it seems to work fine. I tried lot of things like exclude the scanning for the URL used by outlook anywhere, exclude the certificate, change most of the settings and didn't work fine before i disabled SSL scanning. The certificate is still listed under excluded certificates, but since it's disabled that shouldn't make a difference.

15. gisuck

gisuck Registered Member

You're lucky GAN.

I've played with every setting possible in the SSL section and I cannot seem to get it to respond at all. Disabling the Email scanner does improve performance signficantly, but it is still laggy to get things done.

I recommend that you don't change anything ;)

16. GAN

GAN Registered Member

Seems like i found the setting that made it work for me without the slow response when using https/ssl. When you enter the "Advanced Setup" then go to "Protocol Filtering -> SSL" and enable SSL protocol scanning. Then go to "Web access protection -> HTTP, HTTPS" and check "Do not use HTTPs protocol checking". When this setting is checked you have to go back to "Protocol filtering -> SSL" and disable "SSL protocol scanning" again. At least this worked for me on two separate computers.

I assume this is a bug because when SSL protocol scanning is disabled the HTTPs filtering mode settings shouldn't be relevant and the checkbox is disabled as well so unable to change it unless SSL protocol scanning is enabled.

The excluded certificates settings seems to have no effect at all so i assume this one isn't working yet.

17. gisuck

gisuck Registered Member

OMG! I can work again....

Nice work GAN! :)

Now we just need ESET to patch ;) I'm wondering if they are going to release another beta before a final release.

18. Geosoft

Geosoft Registered Member

Just wanted to post that I was doing some testing with EAV4 and we had the same problem internally. The suggested work around that GAN posted corrected our issue. Hopefully this issue can be resolved in the next beta.

Nice work guys.

19. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Now that ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4 has been released, can you please try testing with the new version and see if that solves the problem?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

20. JanoV

JanoV Registered Member

This is known problem - caused by using multiple profiles in outlook, while ESS 4 installed - should be resolved in the next released version.

21. gisuck

gisuck Registered Member

Hi JanoV,

I currently only have a single profile, but using "Outlook Anywhere" to retrieve emails from my office without a VPN connection. The problem "appears" to be with ESET's HTTP scanner for some reason scanning the SSL traffic even though SSL scanning is not enabled.

22. GAN

GAN Registered Member

Take a look at post 16 in this thread to properly disable SSL scanning which is the reason for the issues with outlook anywhere. HTTP scanning can still be enabled since this problem has to do with SSL.

23. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I myself run it....and I have several clients I've setup on this. So....yeah..other people are smart enough to setup Outlook over HTTP..and smart enough to get it running without issues...it's really quite easy.

I run Outlook 2007 with Vista (32 bit though) on 2x rigs....setup Outlook over HTTP to my Exchange Server at the office. Both of my rigs are running Eset 4.0.

Completely default install of NOD.

Do you have all your Office updates?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.