CIS Uninstall trashed internet connectivity

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by IceCube1010, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Hi Everyone

I posted at Comodo but have not heard from anyone there so I'll try here.
    I am currently using CIS (firewall Safe mode, D+ Safe mode, no CAVS) and Avast home. Everything was working great. After seeing some reviews of CAVS, I wanted to try using it. So my plan was to uninstall CIS reboot, uninstall Avast reboot and then do a fresh install of CIS with CAVS. Big problem. After uninstalling CIS, my PC rebooted and I had no internet connectivity! I checked my network adapter and found Comodo firewall minport with yellow exclamation points on my network adapter. I realize now that I could have uninstalled Avast rebooted and then added the CAVS module but I didn't do it that way. Can anyone help how to get my internet working again? Is there a cleanup tool to remove CIS?

My specs: Vista Home (sp1), CIS (427) and Avast home 4.8 (network, standard and web shield)

thanks
    Iced

2. 2good

2good Guest

just download comodo registry cleaner run it & hopefully everything will turn out fine,make sure you use filter entry to scan CIS.

3. gery

gery Registered Member

I had to deal with this problem for about 2 weeks and the registry cleaner is not an effective tool but you can try it. try to re-install CIS again and do some Revo uninstalling in advance mode. Remember to use the Comodo registry cleaner in safe mode. goood luck

4. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

5. IceCube1010

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try this utility and hopefully it will work. I have never experienced this before from any software. I have uninstalled Comodos stuff before and never had a problem but this one takes the cake.

I'll post back and let you know.

thanks again
    Ice

6. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

I've uninstalled and reinstalled cis and haven't had any problems. My advice is to uninstall, reboot, delete leftover folders, run CCleaner(Free), run Eusing Registry Cleaner(Free), and then if I really feel like it looking under regedit for leftover keys. You don't have to do all of that, but you should really look into a junk cleaner like CCleaner and some type of registry cleaner so you don't run into these types of problems.

7. IceCube1010

I know. I've never had a problem uninstalling/reinstalling any of Comodo's stuff or any other security software that I have used. When CIS asks me to reboot to complete the uninstall, my machine comes up with no internet connectivity. My router disappears! When I look at the device manager I have errors with Comodo firewall miniport attached to my network adapter. It's really unbelievable. Being a software developer myself, I know it's not easy to account for every type of OS, hardware and software configuration that could interfere with your product that your trying to develop. That is why we must all be patient. This is why I always come here to read and ask for help. This is really a great place to get help and ideas.

Ice

8. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I am having the exact same issue. No luck getting internet working yet. Please advise if anyone finds a solution. thanks

9. IceCube1010

Clocks, are you running Vista 32 home (sp1)? Just curious. I posted this at Comodo and I'm still waiting for a reply. I tried the above tool to reset the tcpip config but that didn't work. I ran reg cleaners etc still no luck. Lucky for me I created a system restore point prior to me uninstalling so I can get back to normal. But I find it utterly confusing how CIS deletes or invalidates my LAN connection/router.

Ice

10. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Running Windows 7 32 bit. There are comodo firewall registry entries that will not let me delete them. I am going to try system restore now.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  11. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, LOL... you realize this is completely unsupported (both from Comodo and MS side)? :rolleyes:

12. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Maybe this will Help. from 1.Start type 2.cmd 3.ctrl shift enter short cut for admin elevation vista then 4.netsh int ip reset 5.hit enter 6.then reboot see how it goes. do not enter the numbers these are steps 1-6

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  13. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Yes but, well, you can see the problem is unrelated to Windows 7.

14. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Check Winsock settings: link1 and see this also.

15. IceCube1010

thanks for all the feedback. I didn't try netsh int ip reset, but somehow I don't think that will work. Somewhere along the line Comodo's uninstall gets mixed up with my wireless router, network card and leaves its driver still hook.
    It must be a oddball thing since clocks and myself are the only ones with this problem. I'll give the netsh a try and see how it goes. Thank god for my system restore point!

thanks again
    Ice

16. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I had a similar problem with Online Armor and NIS 2009. Re-installing and then running the uninstaller in safe mode fixed things. Worth a try.

17. henryg

henryg Registered Member

I didn't know that CIS was at all compatible with Windows 7...

BTW, which BETA version of Windows 7 are you using?

18. IceCube1010

I didn't even think about trying that. I'll give that a go tonight. Is there a service I need to start to uninstall in safe mode in Vista home(sp1)?

thanks
    Ice

19. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

If comodo corrupted your tcp/ip then netsh ip reset should work.this would reset it back to the original state of the OS.Seems to me it would be worth a try and IMO would be the cleaner way.You can try the install/uninstall as other poster said with comodo but It may or may not work.

20. IceCube1010

thanks. I'll give it a shot tonight and post back.

Ice

21. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

For these stale drivers junk (sadly, have yet to see a FW that doesn't leave those "legacy" drivers behind on uninstall):

In System Properties, Advanced tab click on Environmental Variables, then click on New... under System variables type DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES to Variable name and set Variable value to 1, click OK. Do the same once again, now choose DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS as variable name and 1 as value.

You can also paste the below code into notepad or whatever editor and save as devmgmt.bat on your desktop and then just right-click and choose Run as administrator to do the same thing.

Code:
    @echo off
    set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
    set DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS=1
    devmgmt.msc
    Now in Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) click on View, select Show hidden devices. You'll see a couple of greyed-out icons under Non-Plug and Play Drivers and/or Network Adapters, identify those belonging to CIS/CFP (or whatever other uninstalled security suite), right-click on those and uninstall them. If asked to reboot, do it.

22. clocks

clocks Registered Member

You can try it, but last night I uninstalled in safe mode and I have the issue. Maybe Comodo need to create a Comodo Removal Tool, ala Norton, mcafee. etc...

23. capii

capii Registered Member

I'm a newbie, and so forgive me if this is a dumb answer, but have you tried Winsockfix?
    Or speedguide.net or dslreports.net might be a better place to ask this.

24. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Install under Vista compatibility mode.

25. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

It was the Norton Removal Tool that left me with the same mess. Anything with multiple hooks into the OS can cause a problem uninstalling. Always best to have an image to fall back on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.