BSODs/Restarts with NOD32 on Vista SP1 x64

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Cadium, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cadium

Cadium Registered Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm having a bit of an issue with NOD32 (which I just purchased less than a week ago) on my computer when running Windows Vista SP1 x64. The issue is that 5 out of 10 tries when I resume the computer from a sleep state, everything comes up fine, however once I click on my username the system throws a STOP error indicating win32k.sys as the issue. When I ran that through the debugger it singled out one of NOD32's processes as the possible cause.

I've checked the hardware, the RAM, and updated all of my drivers and everything is fine until I install NOD32, at which point all hell seems to break loose. I also noticed that there is quite a bit of CPU usage going on from ekrn.exe even when I'm not doing anything and the machine seems to take 2 minutes to fully start up -- remove NOD32, everythings fine.

The version of NOD32 that I have is 3.0.672.

I'd like an explanation as to why this is happening and how can we resolve it? I feel like I've just wasted $60 on a 2-year license for a barely-functioning product. :(

2. SaphireX

SaphireX Registered Member

Hi Cadium

Did you install the 64-Bit version of NOD? or the 32-Bit version?
    Please post back more details about your rig such as mobo-chipset-RAM & PSU and what Power Settings you have configured in Vista64

SaphireX

3. Cadium

Cadium Registered Member

Windows Vista 64-bit Ultimate SP1, NOD32 64-bit 3.0.672, chipset is an Intel 965PM/Santa Rosa with a Core 2 Duo T9300 Penryn CPU, 4 gigs of RAM, NVIDIA 8600M GT, and power settings shouldn't matter for the stability of an antivirus.

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I suspect a conflict with another piece of installed software or a device driver on the system. The best way to begin troubleshooting such issues is by examining the system in detail.

Please download a copy of ESET SysInspector, use it to create a log file of your system, and then email it to support@eset.sk along with a link to this message thread.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. Cadium

Cadium Registered Member

Do these blue screens happen in 32-bit? Im contemplating trying 32-bit again just to see what happens.

6. SaphireX

SaphireX Registered Member

Besides running the SysInspector as recommended by "agoretsky". Have you tested your memory with Memtest86 ? or the built-in Vista64 memory Tester? to ascertain if memory errors are a contributing factor when coming out of sleep mode. Check for a BIOS update for your rig and/or "chipset" driver update that may incorporate the "away mode" driver for Vista64 that reportedly solves resuming from sleep issues that a lot of folks are reporting. A look into the details of how you have devices set for sleep mode in the Vista64 Power Management might reveal some clues as well. Notwithstanding that running Process Monitor might give more accurate details on the root cause of the BSOD as opposed to the Debugger

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

SaphireX

7. Cadium

Cadium Registered Member

The hardware is perfectly fine, I've run several different hardware diagnostic tests. When NOD32 is not installed the issue resolves itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.