Norton Antivirus 2009 and Norton Internet Securithy 2009 final versons released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cloudcroft, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

I had the situation with updates last night, but tonight I'm getting them every few minutes.

2. Halo326

Halo326 Registered Member

True. Guess I was use to NOD32 and Avira with big red alerts. Are you using NIS alone or with something else? Man I loved Comodo but with it off my pc things run faster and smoother.

3. Pseudo

Pseudo Registered Member

I assumed they would specifically target compatibility for their own products; never mind then. :doubt:

4. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Trialing.. right now Alone. no need for anything else if you go over everything it offers it pretty much has layered security as is. no need for more as of yet.. then again I'm also not what you call Paranoid.

EDIT.

This is on my Test computer.. not my main system so please keep that in mind. Tho if it works well it may have a home on a few of my PC's

5. Cloudcroft

I'm not sure if it's a compatibility problem, or just marketing, but I couldn't get NIS 2009 to install until I removed NAB. Someone in an earlier post said they're running NIS and NAB together with no problems. I hadn't made up my mind about renewing my NAB subscription when it expired, but now I'm going with the idea that I don't need it anymore, and save the bucks. :D

6. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

No you really don't need it as it will just become redundant if you do.. you can install NIS then install anti bot. But with NIS doing pretty much the same thing I see this as pointless.

7. WigglyTheGreat

WigglyTheGreat Registered Member

I tested out NIS 2009 and it is indeed light and seems runs well, but I am not sure yet if I am gonna buy it. I currently use Eset Smart Security and it runs very well and is light on resources too. I would have to see how effective protection is before making any decision. It seems it doesn't have a web scanner like Eset has, but it's really not a deal breaker though. The pulse updates are sweet. I ran the beta for only a week before they put out the finished product so I got to check it out just a bit beforehand. $49.99 for NIS 2009 w/ a 3 user license is a pretty good deal.

A couple of quick questions: NIS 2009 seems to have a self protection option and I wonder how effective that is if anyone knows? Also I wonder how effective the firewall is on automatic mode?

8. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

The firewall is just as good if not better then most out there in suites... as for the self protection from what I have seen its aggressive. its hard to get around it in other words.

9. Cloudcroft

Yep, I believe redundant is the word I used in post 148....:D

10. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

11. shanep

shanep AV Expert

Hello everybody,

I am an architect at Symantec and I work on the team that builds our HTTP or Web scanning engines. I just wanted to clear up some confusion about whether or not Norton products have Web scanning engines.

The short answer is "yes" we do. In fact there are 5 independent engines that scan HTTP content.

1) There is the Intrusion Prevention (IPS) engine that scans for all types of HTTP based exploits. The engine has many 100s of generic vulnerability signatures that dont need to change often if at all since they target the vulnerability condition which doesn't change rather than the shell-code which does. New ones are added almost weekly. The list of signatures can be found at http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/attack_sigs/. Look under "H". Every signature prefixed with "HTTP_" is being scanned on HTTP traffic. Its also important to note that the IPS engine scans ALL traffic coming into or going out of your machine, not just HTTP.

2) Browser Protection - This engine is specifically targeted at obfuscated JScript/VBScript HTTP content that exploits vulnerabilities in ActiveX, DOM or even specific data-types like VML. Highly obfuscated attacks are difficult if not impossible to reliably detect by scanning network traffic or by scanning the files in the IE cache. Hence this uses a totally different approach to the problem. But the bottom line is that it is still will block content coming over HTTP before it exploits the browser.

3) Anti-Phishing Engine - Also scans HTTP content looking for phishing page characteristics.

4) Privacy Scanning engine
    5) Parental Controls.

Engines 1 and 2 are targeted at blocking malware from automatically infecting your machine when you visit an infected web page. aka drive-by downloads.

NIS/NAV doesn't scan incoming HTTP traffic for a malicious PE files (portable executable file i..e exe, com etc). We dont see the value in doing that because ultimately that file will hit the disk and when it does, our real-time scanner Auto-Protect will catch it. Hence, as some users have reported, if you try to download eicar.zip from a remote site, it wont be detected until you open the zip up and extract the eicar.com. AutoProtect will detect and block it before you can execute it.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Shane.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  12. Cloudcroft

Thanks Shane....great information!

13. swisscoms

swisscoms Registered Member

Thank you very much Shane. I was sure you were offering the best possible protection. Congratulations on such a superb product. (NIS 2009). :)

14. Halo326

Halo326 Registered Member

Something I just found out is that it protects your browser from unwanted changes. Try adding any Firefox plugin in or removing the ones you have. It doesn't work unless you temporarily disable NIS. Another good feature.

15. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

And what is this claim based on?

I'd like to see this outdetect Avira...

Everyone's talking about all the cool goodies, but where's the detection ratings?

Also what's with this 5-15 min. updates? I mean what are developers sitting around coding new signatures 24/7? This is crazy signature updates don't need to occur every 15 mins...

If people think they need a new signature every 5 mins, there are some people that need to learn how to use their PC... :)

16. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Erm, this is the default behaviour to silently block such stuff? Any way to make it prompt instead of block? Any way to make it go away altogether beyond disabling the whole thing temporarily (horrible "solution")?

I'd personally not call this a "good feature" but nasty annoyance and from developers' POV this is plain nightmare. There's nothing like getting flooded with "bug" reports such as "your addon/toolbar doesn't install, the addon/toolbar/browser is broken!" :rolleyes:

17. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

this is the newest test that I could find.

http://www.virusbtn.com/news/2008/09_02

18. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@shanep
    Thanks for posting: care to validate your self in some way ?
    :)

19. Netherlands

Netherlands Registered Member

Ok thanks for clearing things up. So it does not have how do you call it, a realtime malware http scanner. If i download virussamples (eicar or others) it does not block it at the http steam level but only detects it if it is downloaded on my computer.

Is there a reason that you didn't include blocking of all malware before it reaches the computer?

20. Wunibald

Wunibald Registered Member

Hello Quimby79,

Sorry about the frustration. I was not intentionally avoiding the question.

Of course you could add additional protection to keep yourself more secure and protected - adding an additional layer of protection.

Similar to keeping warm in the winter by adding additional layers of clothing for extra warmth, you could keep adding layers of protection (if they are compatible) to your computer to keep it more protected.

Some of the features may be redundant, but you would have two layers of Bot Protection if you installed both products.

I hope this answers your question. If not, please let me know.

Cheers,
    Tim Lopez
    Symantec Corporation

21. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

If this is all you have as a critique of NIS 2009- you are grasping at straws.

22. Bunkhouse Buck

What difference does it make? Http scanning is not required and it is nothing more than a "feature" unsophisticated users like. If it cannot execute- it does not need to be stopped at the http stream level.

23. Wunibald

Never mind. I just gave it a try and had no problem at all to install or uninstall addons in firefox.

24. Wunibald

That's true. But this way you could argue other things to be unnecessary. Mailscanners for example.

25. Bunkhouse Buck

I would agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.