Katie DriveSentry

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by DriveSentry, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DriveSentry

DriveSentry Registered Member

Hi everyone I’m Katie and I work for DriveSentry (UK). I’m here to help with any support questions, listen to any feedback (good or bad) and pass any feature requests to our development team. Please feel free to ask me about any release schedules and/or features which maybe in the pipeline.

2. ako

ako Registered Member

Re: DriveSentry

hi Katie!
    How do do determine bad files?
    Do you have your own viruslab, or do you co-operate with one?

3. DriveSentry

We have two major feeds and we have internal team members who also analyse bad files. Our Advisor server can quickly pickup anything bad within the community which hits our network.

I hope this answers your question.

thanks

Kate.

4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Hi Katie, welcome to Wilders.:)

Um, err, I might just give DriveSentry a run and see if I need any support.:D

5. ako

ako Registered Member

Sounds like one could use DS as a stand- alone solution?

6. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Hi Katie,

A few issues.

I'm running 3.0.3.4 and also tried 3.0.3. With both installs it failed. After install I left checked start DS, I said yes to accepting Ts&Cs and then got an error. Solution is to go to Start, Programs and start DS from there. All went fine.

I think it was with 3.0.3 I got a few bootups where DS was running but no icon. The usual trick is to stop the programme using task manager. Unfortunately, you can't terminate DS. It would be nice to have a simple solution to getting the icon back. I restored the registry to before DS was installed and re-isntalled. If it happens again I will use WinPatrol to disable the start-up and then uninstall. I had Boclean enabled at the time - it could have been a conflict. Don't know.

I recommend two default options: 1.Show advanced pop-up that says allow and remember. Booting up, Poppeeper kept asking to be allowed. It was only through reading the other thread that I learned about the online help and changing to the advanced pop-up. The help in DS icon context menu shows me an empty notepad and a syntax error. 2.Also, Close Main window to infobar should be NO. The infobar is superfluous to my everyday operating.

Website is nice but too fancy. Make it apparent where the detailed online Help is. Be clear about the pricing.

The Community database is in early days so make a statement about as how it grows the pop-ups will become less. Otherwise, you could get people trying the programme getting pop-ups and thinking it is the norm.

On the marketing front I see the litte soldier has been issued with the standard British Army rifle, SA80. Make him more British and give him a Guard's Busby.:)

I actually sent an uninstall email about the pop-ups putting the kids off using DS. I'll keep it on my PC for a month and be involved with testing the releases. By then the programme and database should be mature enough to give it to the kids.

I would like to see some independent testing of DS.

Ian

7. DriveSentry

Hi Ian,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback and suggestions.

The problem you have been having regarding DriveSentry running in task manager with no sign of an icon or GUI is something which has been recently reported to our QA team, so is an issue which we are aware of and is currently being investigated. I understand that you had "Boclean" enabled at the time so i will pass this information on to relevant members of staff for investigation. It would be useful if you could let me know what operating system you are using to enable a full investigation of this issue.

I have forwarded your additional comments and recommendations onto the relevant members of our team. Our user's views and recommendations are very important to us so thank you for your comments, they are much appreciated. Again, we are currently looking into the bug that you have come across and will endeavour to get a fix for this in a forthcoming release.

Just to note, when DriveSentry's internal testing is complete, DriveSentry may, in future, be released for external beta testing. Pre-release builds will be available on our forum http://forum.drivesentry.com

Thanks again,

Kind Regards,

Katie.

8. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

XP SP3

9. DriveSentry

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I will pass this information on immediately.

Kind regards,

Katie

10. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Hi Kate and thanks for making your presence here. We've had a small chat yesterday on live help.

I want you to know ive been using drivesentry for a few days now and it's probably the lightest security product ive encountered. At first it seemed to slow down my browsing a bit but none at the moment. The icon never left and so far ive encountered only one issue wich was while playing FEAR (and kicking ass) i got a windows proces alart wich closed down the game entirely. Only happend once so it's not a biggy.

Anyways ive asked you if it's a behavious blocker and i got one very long technical reponse that seemed to copy and paste right of your website. Using DS now it seems it's a community based HIPS basicly asking questions about every unknown but also known programs. Im ok with that but i had hopes it would be more intelligent like Prevx or Threathfire (no offense).

Some other questions: 1 How can you have that much amount of malware in your database if you just started out? That's about the same amount of malware longtime AV vendors have right.
    2 10 euro's purchases a lifetime license inclusing upgrades?
    3 is it compatible in conjunction with other type of HIPS such as Online Armor?

Thanks again

11. DriveSentry

Hi Ges,

Sorry for not explaining fully yesterday, you know what IM chats are like :).
    DriveSentry has similar technology to that of ThreatFire because we monitor how a process appears and what its intentions are. This heuristic/ behavioural technology kicks in if the program attempting to access your system is not within our white or blacklist. DriveSentry does not just monitor access to the drives although this is how the name portrays it! DriveSentry actually monitors memory and registry access too!

1) DriveSentry has partnered with a number of key malware research teams. Also the DriveSentry Advisor server allows us to harvest malware in the community and we have members within the team who have significant experience in this sector. In the future we plan to have a database of which people can publically search to prove the legitimacy of this.

2) If you wish to purchase DriveSentry it activates a lifetime subscription for 10 Euros.

3) The DriveSentry team have tested with a number of different HIPS products and we have seen no issues. However i would be really interested if any of the guys at Wilders have come across any issues as you are probably involved with a greater range of products!!

I hope this helps and sheds a bit more light on things.

Thanks for your comments and feedback,

Kind regards,

Katie

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

First, welcome Katie. On your website it is shown as 2.0. But 2.1 was reviewed by PC Mag on 3/26/07. Here. Is this the same or a totally new product.

13. DriveSentry

Hi trjam,

DriveSentry is now available from our download page and we are now on version 3.0.3. The review at PC Magazine was done Feb last year and we have learnt alot from it. We have added alot of new features and functionality. The review did us alot of good as it gave us a big kick up the backside! :)

The original aim of Drivesentry was as a "techie" tool. But our focus in now to make a next generation AV product for the mass markets.

Thanks,

Katie

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Thanks, so the homepage is what needs updating, correct?

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

sure, change that rediculous try-icon.

not really important, but i think it looks a mess :D

Welcome aboard Katie! ;)

16. GES/POR

Actually the latest version is 3.0.3.4

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well, i bought it.

doesnt seem to conflict with my antivirus and seeing as its a lifetime licence, i can use it whenever i like.

very good deal for a very good product (i think) :D

18. GES/POR

But currently it is compatible with a third party AV? If so will you keep it that way? If so again it will be more of a strong anti malware then innit?

Thanks

19. DriveSentry

Hi C.S.J

Thanks for purchasing DriveSentry. I will pass on your comments regarding the tray icon! :)

Please contact me if you need any assistance or have anymore suggestions.

thanks again.

Kind regards,

Kate.

20. DriveSentry

Hi Ges,

Sorry i appeared to have missed the "4" when posting the latest DriveSentry build number. Apologies :eek:

DriveSentry is currently compatible with the majority of third party AV products and will remain this way. This gives people the option to use DriveSentry as a standalone security solution or as an extra layer of defence alongside their existing security software.

kind regards

Kate.

21. DriveSentry

Hi trjam,

The DriveSentry homepage does not include any build numbers. But it does state "Security 2.0 antivirus protection" o_O

thanks,

Kate.

22. GES/POR

Well pass along that i think it's fine, you could do much worse!

23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

surely will do ;)

for the moment, ive just hidden the tray icon, as i cant even bare to see it.

maybe you should know Katie, that i looked into DriveSentry from an advertisment in ComputerActice, to which im a subsciber. :)

24. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

A one-off payment for a lifetime license is a questionable business model in my opinion. I always wonder WHOSE lifetime the license applies to -- mine, or that of the company making the offer?:cautious:

(Now you know why I got ejected from "home on the range." I said a discouraging word.)

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I am trying it out and it isnt bad. Reminds me of Mamutu with the community suggestion approach. But with a few extras. It will be interesting to see how well its AV detects, which should not take long for this place to determine. So Katie, like do you do anything else at the company, or just hang out here all day.;)

Not like any of us would ever consider such a thing.:doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.