Acronis 11 Hangs When Assigning Letters to a Partition

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pbates1, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbates1

pbates1 Registered Member

Acronis True Image Home Version 11 hangs when assigning letters to a partition, either from the Explorer context menu or directly from the product. Nothing is wrong with the TIB file ( currently on a USB hard drive), because I am able to restore the entire partition to my hard drive from that USB drive. It just won't mount.

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

What version and build was used when creating the image?

If version 11 used, you might download TweakUI from the Microsoft Power toys download.
    This program has a section shows whether the unused drive letters are truly available for use.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello pbates1,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build (8053) of Acronis True Image 11 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If updating doesn't solve the problem, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please collect the user.dmp and drwtsn32.log the way described in this previous post

Please also create a screenshot of error message, if any.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Please notice that backups can also be explored without assigning a drive letter to them (double-click the backup file in Windows explorer).

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. kschmidt1351

kschmidt1351 Registered Member

Hi pbates1,

I have exactly the same issue. Did Acronis support ever solve it for you?

--Ken

5. Acronis Support

Hello kschmidt1351,

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please make sure that all parts of the image archive are in the same folder. Then validate the image. If the image archive appears to be consistent, proceed to the Mount Image wizard last screen which contains the operation scenario and check if there is any EISA partition (usually service partition on notebooks). If you see such partition, please choose "Do not mount" option for it.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. kschmidt1351

Thanks for getting back to me, Marat.

All five TIB files are in the same directory. I ran a verify operation on my backup image, and Acronis said it was good. I then tried to mount the one "drive," and not the EISA image, and still no luck. My system is hung and I have to do a hard power down, which I hate having to do. Here's what happens.

After starting the mount operation, Acronis finally says it successfully mounted the drive. However, the cursor remains an hourglass. If I go to a normal Windows Explorer window and click on My Computer, the window hangs. If I hit the Start button (I'm running Windows XP SP2), the Start menu appears but does not work. I think this is also a sign of Explorer being messed up.

So, what's next?

7. Acronis Support

Hello kschmidt1351,

Please make sure that Acronis Drivers are properly registered in Windows registry.

When the drivers are successfully installed, Windows registry must contain the respective values in the UpperFilters registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} -> UpperFilters (PartMgr snapman)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F} -> UpperFilters (VolSnap timounter snapman tdrpman)

So, the snapman value must be present in both the registry keys and the timounter value must be present in the second one only. The tdrpman value must be in the second key and only if Acronis True Image 11 Home is installed. Other values may vary in different systems.

If the drivers are missing in the UpperFilters registry keys, which may be caused by a registry protecting application, then the problem can be fixed by editing the Windows registry manually by adding the necessary values in Registry Editor (Start -> Run -> regedit).

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. highcountryrider

highcountryrider Registered Member

Are you by any chance running any BitDefender 2008 software? Antivirus, Internet Security, etc... Appears to be a conflict with ATI (all versions from 9 through 11 and BitDefender 2008 products. No fix available yet from BitDefender AFAIK. I have the exact same problem that locks up the system when trying to assign drive letters to ATI image partitions.

9. taize

taize Registered Member

I've seen the same symptoms when trying to restore an OS image. The restore says it has two actions 1) change the drive letter and 2) the restore. #1 happens but #2 does not. The result of changing the drive letter renders the partition table screwed.

10. Acronis Support

Hello taize,

Could you please clarify, are you starting the restore procedure from Windows or using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media? Please also describe in some more details, what happens. Are there any error messages? When do they appear? What do they say?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

11. taize

taize Registered Member

I'm starting the procedure from bootable rescue media.

there are no error message. It does process #1 - change the drive letter and goes to process #2 - restore the image and then nothing. No disk activity - no nothing

12. Acronis Support

Hello taize,

Please make sure you use the latest build of the respective version of Acronis True Image. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If the latest build doesn't solve the problem, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Note that if you use an older version of Acronis True Image (version 8.0 or lower) you should press F11 button when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears and not when the selection screen appears (Acronis True Image 8.0 Bootable Rescue CD for example does not have any selection screen).

If the issue persists, could you please clarify, what version of Acronis True Image are you using? You can find the full version name by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

13. kschmidt1351

Marat,

It's been a long time. I've been busy but finally had time to check back on this thread. Thanks for your suggestions.

I checked the two registry entries, and both are as they should be. I guess that's good news that the registry entries are correct, but bad news that mounting still hangs my system, and hangs it hard. (I just double-checked that mounting that image--an image that validated perfectly--still causes to stop functioning. I think Explorer is deep in trouble. I can still move my cursor but when I do Ctrl-Alt-Del and choose Shutdown, my system appears to be locked up, and the only thing I can do then is press and hold the power button to do a "hard" power down.)

Anyways, what is next?

--Ken

14. Acronis Support

Hello kschmidt1351,

The problem is currently being investigated, but it is yet unclear what causes it. Could you please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly?

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please make a screen shot of the Device Tree application:

- Download and unpack the Device Tree application;
    - Run the application;
    - Completely unfold the \Driver\Disk and \Driver\FtDisk branches;
    - Move the margin to the left in order to see all the items;
    - Make a screen shot.

Please also do the following:

- Download SetupApiLog.zip, unpack it and run in order to add the information to the Windows registry;
    - Delete \Windows\setupapi.log and reboot the computer;
    - Reproduce the mounting problem and collect the setupapi.log file;
    - Let us know whether there is a delay after hitting Proceed and getting the error message.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

15. highcountryrider

highcountryrider Registered Member

Update from Acronis support on 6/14/18. I had submitted a trouble ticket with documentation on the system freeze problem. Running BD 2008 Internet Security and ATI 11 build 8053. The response indicates that the conflict has been confirmed by Acronis. No mention whether it was a problem caused by BitDefender 2008 products or not. We'll see if they indeed come out with a new build of ATI 11 and if it corrects the lock-up problem when trying to assign a partition letter when trying to mount an image.
    http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/hicountryrider/test/acronis_email_061408.gif

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  16. bazwhite

bazwhite Registered Member

I have exactly the same problem with ATI 8.

17. Acronis Support

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.