FDSIR/EAZ-FIX

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Banshee, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Hi,

I am a happy FDISR user and was reading about eaz-fix.

Are there any advantages of using eaz-fix instead of/along FDISR ?

Thanks

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I think the new FDSIR takes only one snapshot and EAZ-FIX will allow about 16,000.;)

Oh, and with EAZ-FIX, I can move backward and forward in times with my snapshots.

3. TVH

TVH Registered Member

How is it compared to the older versions of FD-ISF before it was stripped down?

4. Banshee

I don't have the stripped version. I have the original one.full .(raxco)

5. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Main difference is having archived snapshots on external location,which the stripped version have not,so if your disk get burned your out of luck in terms of fast recovery.

note,with a reliable imaging solution your also always on the safe side.

6. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Short answer NO-especially useful/essential is the archiving ability on a different disk,which is very awkward and difficult with EF.
    Pointless trying to run both.
    edit-beta testing is easier with EF.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

totally agree. On my daughters pc I have tried a million ways to load all her Sims games but couldnt, and get each one to play. So today using EAZ-FIX I just created a Sims2 snapshot, then a new snapshot for each game and it worked like a charm. Quickly bought a license. It is so simple to use even for her. And basically now with SafeSpace no other security apps are needed. Yep EAZ-FIX is to me, like you know what, is to Erik.;)

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Same here.

Am a very satisfied user of EAZ-FIX and it's proven now to be everything claimed. Snapshots are a breeze, jockying them from one to another is a snap, and so on, couldn't be happier with it's results.

9. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

An AV or HIPS is needed to prevent the Robot Dog. :D

10. Banshee

Thanks Hairy Coo and all !

Easter, are you using eaz-fix and fsdir at the same time ? Do you like eaz-fix better ?:D

11. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Not used EAZ-FIX but its bassically Rollback rx 8.1 with a diff name, and maybe a few changes here and there that arnt in Rollback, but both perform equally I would guess, for me FDISR performed like a Rats Ass, and never successfully got to boot to a seperate snapshot, Rollback however as trjam says jumps back and forth between Days/Months/Years in the space of a few seconds,and doesnt use GB's for snapshots like FDISR does + the snapshots are 60000 not 16000 trjam :ninja:

12. TVH

TVH Registered Member

Thanks. Now i might just consider switching from FD-ISR (the old version that everyone loves lol) to EAZ-FIX as it seems to be just as good if not better.

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It has to be said some users of the original FD-ISR have managed to do the same thing of keeping snapshots/archives that go back days/months too. Admittedly, the number of snapshots is limited to 10, but not so with archives.

Regarding the ability of Rollback/EAZ-FIX to store up to 60,000 snapshots, in reality you wouldn't need to use that many. I'd be surprised if people had more than 20 at most. I had 3 in addition to the baseline when I tested Rollback, which was the same number of total snapshots I was utilising in the original FD-ISR.

14. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

In all likelihood probably not, I think the 60,000 snapshot is directed at big companies who have thousands of files to store and recover :)

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi QQ2595! Did u try Robodog trojan against Eaz-Fix? What were ur results?
    If system was unbootable, did u try to revert to most recent snapshot via pre-boot screen? I am very positive that it will restore the system.

BTW I am still waiting for the files u promised. I PMed u again.

16. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

Yes, I have tested it in my XP SP2. The Robodog bypassed them and infected the c:\windows\explorer.exe and c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe. See your PM.

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Are you sure that running Robodog in any snapshot of Eaz-Fix will corrupt all snapshots including the base-line. My impression is that it might just destroy the current working state and u can rollback to any previous snapshot just fine via pre-boot console. It was the case with KillDisk virus.

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

No i do not. I keep them totally separate because i have enough security apps plus backup programs to keep from needing to double up ISR's. I like it that way.

Of course FD-ISR remains my most favorite and still is in spite of the requirements for additional hard drive space for both snapshots and their compliment of archives which have proved an absolute lifesaver here.

EAZ-FIX however is a very nice change of pace and is equally satisfactory for me, it's very stable, reliable, and does everything what it's supposed to and doesn't rattle any nerves or raise any doubts.

Bottom line is i like them both. :)

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I agree Easter, with EAZ-FIX I have already used up about 10 rolls of film taking snapshots. Seriously though I have 6 snapshots and each with a different AV and other security apps. That is what is so cool. Depending on my need or desire I can switch to any combo I want.;)

20. Banshee

Thanks Easter.-One more question. Did you try creating a drive backup image from within eaz-fix ?

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

But in my case it will be contained in SafeSpace until purged.

22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Funny you should ask, because i owe some member an answer just what a .EBI file is and so i plugged up my EAZ-FIX drive today and made another new one. What .ebi files are exactly are REPLICATED mirror images of snapshots just like FD-ISR archives for all practical purposes.

I deleted my old one for a new one after updating some security apps that been needing it, and it took on the order of 52 minutes to fully backup my EAZ-FIX baseline on a 28.6GB drive AFTER i had Updated it of course. It moved right along without hesitation or error as expected.

It leaves a user-defined named .ebi file that you can even burn to DVD if needed as space offers. So in answer to someone's previous (week's) question, EBI files are basically EAZ-FIX snapshot backups, and i like it.
    I fell asleep before i could see if they could be mounted or browsed because we are having a severe ice storm in my area today but one thing is certain, they are there for the making if you need them and i venture to say that if it wasn't a new BASELINE i was backing up, the time period might have even been considerably less, i dunno yet but i will find out.

Otherwise everything about EAZ-FIX is incredibly INSTANT.

I will next test my imaging programs with a backup app to see how the snapshots fair and if they return everything exactly intact or not as well as it's own.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  23. Hairy Coo

Are you saying it took 52 minutes to backup 4gb-wow some sort of record:thumbd:
    You mention DVDs-didnt you say in another thread they were no good?

24. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thats right, and the bulk of that is that if you ever noticed video files can consume additional time, and since i have a whole host of FLV science movies that makes up for the the additional time, also if you have any kind of virtual file that too takes additional time for any backup program to add to an image, so time is not an element of disappointment for me, but imaging exact duplicates of these heavy video files are.

I don't need a 1 second backup that returns distorted duplicates that just as well be discarded anyway.

25. Hairy Coo

As an indication of how slow that is,compared to my proper imager(SP) and also d/l video files etc,the backup time for 4gb at 76mbps would be less than 2 minutes,even taking other variables into account,certainly less than 3 mins.

The point is that you should backup the image say daily for any sort of reasonable security-and at that speed,plus the fact the reliability of the backup cannot be confirmed and the restore takes ages-the EF imager just isnt a practical solution

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.