How

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Vettetech, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Ok I don't know whats going on with some people and there pc's and I know this is a help forum at times. But honestly speaking I never ever have any trouble with NOD32. No install issues. No uninstall issues. No connection issues. No speed issues. Before I install any new version I completely get rid of all entries. I use Revo Uninstaller in advanced mode. After NOD32's uninstaller is done. DO NOT REBOOT. Let Revo find all left over entires then reboot. After rebooting then use cCleaner issues and deleted any left over folders then reboot. Install NOD32 ande all is well. Make sure whatever firewall you are using gives NOD32 full access. I change most my apps to "trusted" inside ZAAS. I think Eset does a good job with there products. Maybe its just how people install or uninstall it. I have tried several other virus scans also with no problems.

2. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Maybe it's just how people install or uninstall? You hope we are all going to use Revo uninstaller? Well........if that does the 'big trick' for you, congratulations.
    Don't start stating this bullshit here.......there are enough people here knowing perfectly how to install, uninstall or configure any AV program.
    Your posts are really very contributing, that's for sure!!! That's important here, you see.....otherwise you get PM'ed.

3. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

I get lots of PM's with people asking me different questions.

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

At least by my personal observation, too many people gloriously surf along for days/weeks, something catches their eye, and they install. Depending upon what transpired during those many days of activity, the machine may be in a somewhat fragile state with respect to the installation process.

In addition to all the normal preparation one might perform prior to a major install/uninstall (registry cleaning, uninstalling certain apps known to conflict, flushing the temp folders, and so on), I always chase any activity of that type with a final restart to place the system in decent start state so that there's no pending operations or anything else going on during the install/uninstall process.

Over the years that simple step has served me well.

Blue

5. reelmccoy

reelmccoy Registered Member

Given the number of possibilities in hardware and software configurations, I'm not surprised there are issues others never experience. Even something "simple" like the firmware in a NAS box, people end up having issues others never see.

In my case, I have 3 systems currently active NOD32 is installed on. One is a WinXP system, dual core CPU and happily runs NOD32 V3.0 without issue. It's hooked up to a 4 port DVI/USB KVM. Also hooked up to this same KVM is a Vista 64 box with a quad core CPU. Even with V3.0.621 build, after a period time and sometimes after switching KVM ports, any time the NOD32 kernel comes into play, the system comes to a standstill until it completes. V2.7 has been rock solid so I resort to that every time I run into this problem. Disabling NOD32 isn't enough to remove the performance kink. I've got another dual core system running 64 bit Vista and V3 and it's been rock solid as well since day one. So it's only this quad core system and perhaps some weird interaction with USB PnP since the keyboard and mouse are hooked up USB and need to be 'rediscovered' any time I do a system switch.

Some of us also don't necessarily know about nor completely trust apps that "clean" up after things. I've had my share of reinstalling an OS because something "cleaned" something it shouldn't. But I may try Revo on this quad and see if it helps any.

After 30+ years of computing, one thing is for sure. There's a lot of variables in the PC world that'll screw anything up. :)

6. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Thats why you do a system restore check point first.

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

There's no doubt about that.

A specific recent example I experienced unrelated to NOD32 - in initial testing of PowerShadow, there was a step either during installation or initial launch which set the stage for being unable to gracefully exit shadow mode. The system worked fine, but stayed in shadow mode once started, and the system autobooted to full shadow mode following the first entry into shadow mode, so it was a little inconvenient.

I pulled potential conflicting applications left and right, ending up with a simple OS and precious little more, the problem was still there. I looked for errant drivers that could create this problem - none were identified. I worked with the vendor for a couple of weeks to uncover the problem, but we were chasing ghosts - find a potential cause, eliminate it, and the problem remained.

I finally performed a minimal OS install on a fresh drive to verify there wasn't a fundamental hardware based compatibility issue - there wasn't. I tried a repair install of XP on the old/problem partition - same old problem emerged. Finally, with a fresh clean full XP install on a virgin drive, I started to reinstall every application that had been originally active on my old partition - stopping after every few applications to install/test/uninstall PS in an effort to identify the problem application - I never found one.

As far as I could see, the problem and the working systems were identical in terms of functionality, but they obviously weren't. As far as I could ascertain, PS was the only application that displayed any untoward symptoms.

I had never personally seen anything like this before - and people wonder why vendors sometimes have problems replicating a specific issue. As far as I could see, I had a complete reinstall replica of the problem partition on a physical drive that replicated the problem drive in all respects, using the same versions for all other applications on the reinstall, and even I couldn't replicate the problem if I began with a fresh start. I suppose something left over that both the vendor and I were blind to was mucking up the system, but that's only conjecture.

At this point I gave up and decided this was one puzzle that would remain unsolved and closed the support ticket since I had a working system.

Blue

8. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

with today's venders of computers selling very inexpensive equipment, IMHO they add to it with all the 'crap' ware that is so well hidden & it is hidden. I had games from Hp virtually buried on my new laptop & couldn't remove it from add/remove. I had to physically find it on the HD & delete the directory. I think a lot of stability problems come from vender added 'isses'. ANd from testing games as well as a few av's it's very hard to replicate an issue, especially with all the different hardware & video cards etc. Things use to be a little more simple, it just isn't & while I get hot when I have program act in an ill maner, I do remember that there's more at play than the item you just installed...

9. poutine

poutine Registered Member

And a lot install it cleanly on a fresh O.S to. And it still doesnt perform well . My experience tells me theres way more wrong with Version 3 than a poorly prepped sys. Seems everyone wants to blame everything but ESET. Vista .Xp. User. peripherals..... Its up to the AV to fit our operating systems and what we use, not for us to change everything to suit our AV's. Never had to with 2.7.

:thumbd:

10. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

You should have used " PC Decrapifier".

11. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

621 runs flawless for me.

12. swami

swami Registered Member

Runs fine on my Xp too. And I've allways installed on top since v2.

13. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Yes, and it does for others, as well. However, there are those for whom it does not. And, there are still others effected by a specific bug which is may be in a function or a feature that you don't use, so you don't notice or care about that bug.

It's not very productive to go back and forth saying "it works for me," "no, it doesn't for me."

The only productive point I see above is that there are certainly a small number of people whose problems are because of a bad install or a previous bad uninstall. There are a few threads here where the people even concluded that themselves after cleaning things up and trying again. But, that is definitely not the chief cause of problems, and saying that it is, is simply misleading.

There are real bugs and they are being worked on. End of story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.