Avast - what detect?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ingem64, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

When the discussions come up, and I see statements such as, "I see a lot of infected computers with XX every day" I have to wonder if the XX was up to date, Windows was up to date, and if they were clicking on everything that popped up. Or what percentage of the total AVs used let malware in?

I keep saying this, but one of the poorer detection rates has been with AVG. However, most users I know use AVG free, but do not get infected. If one sees so many infections with AVs with better detection rates, then why do not most of the AVG Users get infected? But they do not.
    It makes me wonder if the infected machines are not a result of the AV, but the carelessness of the user in not keeping his applications up to date?

Best,
    Jerry

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It's probably that and also just random chance. No AV will always catch stuff 100% of the time, so you're bound to see infections no matter what AV is used, from time to time...

3. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

JerryM: Look here please =>

http://www.viry.cz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51005

If user is carefull, then he doesn't need any antivirus. But I recommend minimal firewall and antispam. Infection by links in emails, warez, ... isn't real.

:thumb:

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the thing is avast is a decent av.
    you can get infected with any AV.
    if the user decides to open an attachment from an unknown origin or download a random .exe and double click on it.
    9/10 its the users fault.
    this can be due to eiether not knowing the dangers of the internet or simply choosing to ignore the warnings for example downloading free movies or music even thou knowing they are lilkely to contain trojans.
    lodore

5. vlk

vlk AV Expert

What are you talking about?

The user clearly says (in the first post) that he installed avast AFTER the system was infected, for the purpose of cleaning up the mess.

And you're saying it's avast's fault that the system got infected?:gack:

Cheers
    Vlk

6. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Vlk,
    How far are we from a public beta of Avast 5?

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I want to apology because it seems that a post of mine in this thread , which has been misunderstood by many members , almost started a war and the thread is going in a wrong direction because of many offtopic things written . :thumb:

8. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Quite far, unfortunately.
    But I'm sure we'll live to see it in 2008.:)

Cheers
    Vlk

9. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Don't need to apologize :)
    :( I can wait, though. May I ask what's delaying its development? The long-awaited heuristics and emulation will improve the detection greatly, I'm sure.

10. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

HiTech_boy has got true not only for reaction to him. Vlk, I didn't want attack Avast, but these events occur (and not only for Avast). As I said, Avast is good antivir. :thumb:

I gave only examle (if there haven't been Avast before, sorry).

11. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

No matter what any one Says Avast Works very well I have used for Two yrs with any incident. Avast updates are fantastic updates very often and are small and quick.I rather have a free AV that updates often then a paid AV that updates not so often.My choice of now is nod32 v2.7 for its configurations and its lightness.Just got bored and needed something new.NO one AV on the market Is Fool proof.I believe one can get as good or better protection lets say with a free Avast/avira or avg along side a good spyware/malware and firewall as one can a stand alone Paid One.

12. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

No need to apologice (your good) and Merry Christmas to all.

13. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

i think avg is better then avast free?

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Lukas,

Thanks, but the forum is "All Greek to me."

I appreciate the input anyway.:D

MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Regards,
    Jerry

15. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

None needed. :)
    Have a happy holiday. :D

16. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

That's the spirit. ;)

I don't know what it detects, but like BigC said (in #10) I too would trust any of the "big three" he posted to protect my stuff. If I had the, got to pay to get the good stuff atittude, which I don't, those freebies are good protection until the others are brought in to replace them. For what ever reason that might be... like short of cash ;)

17. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

There was nothing misunderstood at all. You were just wrong. :D

18. Arup

Arup Guest

Avast is the most rounded of all free AV offerings, no other free AV offers what Avast does and its updates are far more frequent than other free AV offerings. Only free Avira with its excellent detection rates matches Avast but not in terms of full fledged protection.

19. L815

L815 Guest

Agreed :thumb: :thumb:

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

@Arup
    I'd favor Avira instead due to excellent heuristics and frequent updates, but complete lack of spyware detection and totally crappy updater (once per 24 hours cmon!?) push it far behind.

21. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Pardon me for being Mister Obvious, but have you ever considered editing the update schedules?

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I have and i don't like it. First you have to create bunch of rules, second, they are all fixed time and it won't update when connection becomes available.
    avast! can do all this by default. Obvious choice really... Even so impressive heuristics as the ones in Avira mean d**k if updater can't deliver the goods when required.

23. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

So is that why avast found 5 more trojans than norton internet security?

24. Arup

Arup Guest

RejZor,

Fully agreed with you on that issue. One of the reasons I only install Avast in all the PCs I have setup for my relatively novice PC user friends. Till this day, no one has complained about any issues. Some of them have been running Avast for more than three years.

25. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

I have the Avira updater set to every 60 minutes. it works great. I normally get around 7 updates per day. :D

Avast is a quality bloat free A/V though, I'd take it over the likes of Norton and McAfee anyday.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.