Avast - what detect?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ingem64, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ingem64

ingem64 Registered Member

I want to install some free security applications on my new laptop.
    I want Avast, but I dont know what detect - viruses, trojans ?
    Does Avast detect also spyware, adware and other malware? Do I need to add some antispyware soft?
    Thank you.
    o_O o_O o_O

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes, avast detects those. read this page :)

a comparison chart between free and paid can be found here.

enjoy, and Merry Xmas. :D

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

If you care about your information and security , I strongly recommend you never use free antivirus software. Invest your money in reputable software.

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

:blink: :blink: o_O o_O
    I don't know what to say.

5. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Avast Home is in Slovak and Czech republic very popular antivirus, because is free. We think that better like AVG /both czech products/.

I recommend to install also antispyware software /Spyware Terminator, Spybot, Super antispyware - free/.

:thumb:

6. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Reputable? You mean like some the paid Antivirus Software Programs that received a lower score than the Avast Pro paid version did in the AV Comparatives? Keeping in mind of course, that the free version of Avast Home would also score as well as the Avast Pro did as documented by the many Avast users in the Avast forum. Of course all the AV Comparative Antivirus Programs that were tested are reputable, but my point is, so are AVG Free, Avira Personal Edition, and of course Avast Home which are all free and do the job.

7. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Attention, but in AV-Comparatives are tested this versions: AntiVir PE Premium, Avast! Professional (there isn't difference in detection between Home and Pro), AVG Anti-Malware.;)

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

What a load of bollocks. How can you say avast! isn't reputable software?
    It's free and often even better than reputable stuff that costs you money.
    AV-Comparatives results also speak for itself. Also don't mix up AVG Free and AVG AntiMalware. They aren't the same by a light year while avast! HE and avast! Pro have no difference in detection.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I have to agree with RejZoR, this is an old-fashioned and silly attitude. Paying for something doesn't guarantee squat... Some of the best AVs out now are free.

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am running a paid subscription av now but I would feel perfectly comfortable useing one of the three free AV's (AVG) (Avira) (Avast) They are very reputable products and improving rapidly.

11. Xenophobe

Xenophobe Registered Member

Free Software != Non-Reputable

12. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

you'll be fine with avast, just install a free antispyware product like avg antispyware or super antispyware as a backup scanner. and yes it does detect virus,trojans and some spyware.

13. Arup

Arup Guest

Free Anti Vir and Avast are top notch products, they are free because both realize the potential of the number of install base possible with a free app as compared to paid. This way they get the maximum exposure and get a chance to develop quality software. Anti Vir is a prime example of that, Avast free is the most comprehensive free AV offering ever. It comes with a web scanner and is the only free AV out there which comes with that feature. Sometimes, if you look carefully, the best things in life are indeed free. Don't worry about Avast or Anti Vir, they both make up enough money with their paid app.

14. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I did't say that , RejZor!

15. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Not nessessarly true.
    There are very good paid AV's yes, but there are some very good free AV's also.
    There are some crappy paid AV's and some crappy free AV's.
    My personal choice is paid=NOD32 free=Avast
    (currently using none)

16. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Hoho! It isn't true. We see a lot of infected computers with Avast every day in our forum.;)

17. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Did I say best? No,I think I said....
    "My personal choice is paid=NOD32 free=Avast"
    As well as....
    (currently using none)

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

And so did i with NOD32...

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

+1

avast is fantastic, it really is.. i dont understand the negative comments.

20. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I think Avast Home is a very good AV. I have used it, and put it on several computers for friends and my daughter. None has had any kind of infection in several years.

I think that it is a good idea to have a good AS as a scanner. SAS, AVGAS, and A squared have free on demand versions. I just know too many folks who use free AVG and Avast Home with complete satisfaction to claim that you need a paid version for good security.

I recommend you try each of the three freebies and see which runs best. In fact, Avira Classic (free) has a higher detection rate than most paid AVs. You don't always "get what you pay for."

Regards,
    Jerry

21. risl

risl Registered Member

I've always recommended Avast to everyone who wishes to have good free protection, used it in the past without any problems. Dr.Web is similar, it's trouble free and stable as a mountain. But I knew that drw had new technology coming(4.44 and upcoming 5)and wanted to support good software, so I bought it.

22. Arup

Arup Guest

Not only do I see infected computers on Nod, I also see many issues being reported constantly from people using Nod at various security forums I visit. From slowdown of connection due to buggy web shield which is a old Nod trademark to other bugs as well. The latest Avast which has not been tested yet has very good polymorphic virus detection. Avast also has offline scan and removal and has cleaned up many PCs running other AVs with that feature alone.

23. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Of course. When you catch only one trojan downloader, it can download a lot of variants of malware, which can be installed to your computer. Important is capture malware before it get to your computer. E.g. Win32/TrojanDownloader.Zlob has got new variants every day, but his spread uses human mistakes. Someone thinks that install package provides video codec, but it includes only malware.

:thumb:

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Avast is very good at Generic.Signatures,

and personally, i like all the different modules the program has.

its light, has good support and offers fantastic protection.

oh, and its free..... so whats the problem again?

25. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.