It's a big shame.......

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Big Apple, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Re: Was enough Beta testing done?

Anyone else thinking same thing? How about reading all posts?

2. EvilDave UK

EvilDave UK Registered Member

To be honest I think one of the problems noticed here is a break down in communication. Notice AMON, EMON and IMON no longer exist in EAV and ESS; they're referred to as "File system protection", "Email protection" and "Web access protection".

The Business Edition I was expecting to replace XMON; according to the Sales department it does, but according to Technical Support it doesn't.

So going off what Sales (who are telling everyone else the same thing) have said, I installed EAV over the top of XMON thinking it would work. It did, everything went fine. A reboot was required but that was expected. However "Email protection" didn't scan incoming emails and, after about 5 minutes of booting into Windows SBS 2003, the OS started to run slow, then locked up completely and forced me to do a forceful reboot - of a server!!! That shouldn't happen. EAV is 'compatible' with Windows 2003 according to the website.

Anyway, reinstalling 2.7 after completing removing EAV 3.0 from the server worked a treat and the server is now fine.

But still, like other companies who actually tell you what's being replaced with or superceded by what, where's this info from ESETo_O There simply isn't any, and Sales don't appear to know themselves which is a bit worrying.

It feels like it's been rushed, which to be frank, isn't like ESET. Very surprised!

3. poutine

poutine Registered Member

I agree, when i purchased a 2 year license in Nov 2006 i decided on that due to the fact that eset were well respected and always delivered top quality A.V.
    What happened ?? Maybe they didnt spend time on the A.V and worked instead on their security suite, rushing both in the end and delivering two turkeys just in time for Xmas.
    But 2.7 is working fine and they can update V.3 to be just as good but i'll keep my 2.7 as V.3 offers nothing more than graphical fluff for the Vista users.

4. mickhardy

mickhardy Registered Member

I just got bitten by this XMON issue. For some reason, I thought Exchange protection was all included in the business edition or that XMON 2.7 would be supported.

I've been saying V3 is all good and everyone is bagging a great product until I tried to install it on SBS2003 ready for rollout. So, I can't install V3 on the Server, meaning I can't rollout V3 as I can't update the mirror unless I get one of the workstations to update the mirror. I currently can't access the advanced treeview on the Server without a 100% reproducible complete crash or freeze of the GUI. It's a shame.....but I can wait.

Wish I hadn't spent so many hours testing and reading this forum.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You can create a mirror for v3 on the computer with XMON installed, just install ERA on that computer and enable mirror creation.

6. EvilDave UK

EvilDave UK Registered Member

Yep, RA Server 2.0 on an SBS 2003 installation works fine, but don't expect NOD32 2.x clients to pull updates from it - it doesn't work. You have to run your existing mirror to update NOD32 2.x and the new mirror to update 3.x clients.

Silly I know, but this is proven as all my clients installations are doing it. Try to update NOD32 2.7 via RA Server 2.0 and it'll hang on 'update.ver (4KB)' forever until you cancel it.

7. mickhardy

Thanks Marcos. I'll try that path tonight.

8. mickhardy

This method worked fine. Two mirrors on the same SBS2003 Server, one for 2.7 controlled by a Nod32 administrator version and one for 3.0 controlled by ERA.

No issues at the moment with about half the workstations upgraded. Both mirrors work fine and updates have installed correctly from both mirrors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.