What OS do you prefer?

Discussion in 'polls' started by ultragunnerdcl, Nov 24, 2007.

?

What is the OS of your choice???

1. Windows XP

100 vote(s)
    66.2%
  2. Windows Vista

27 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Linux

20 vote(s)
    13.2%
  4. Mac OS

4 vote(s)
    2.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ultragunnerdcl

ultragunnerdcl Registered Member

I got two windows. Windows XP & windows Vista, But I prefer Windows XP becuase it is most stable than windows vista. Microsoft needs to improve windows vista a lot.

2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Used to prefer XP, but each day that goes by i'm becoming more of a linux fanboy :D

3. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

...got winXP (home & pro) and also Penguins installed. More on Penguins when surfin.

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

when vista is ready it might be ok - have to wait for it to get out of beta.
    would like to like linux - perhaps when I can run all my work programs without having to jump thru so many hoops ?

which leaves Windows Xp - which does everything I need, is very stable, fast
    and hasn't ever allowed a security breach.

Ok so I forgot Apple Mac - just never felt quite right

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

This one is easy - I prefer the one that runs the applications I need to use. For different tasks over the years it has included MS DOS/Win, Mac OS, Unix, Linux, VMS, etc..

I don't use OS's in an active sense, they're just a means to an end. I do use applications and migrate as needed and/or desired.

Blue

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Linux damnit! :D

7. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I had no problems with XP (except for the spying) but once I migrated to Linux, i doubt I will go back. I am running Ubuntu/PCLinuxOS without any issues and am happy as hell. It also has everything I need for work, so why would I now pay anything more than the cost of a blank cd for an OS. Of course, when I purchase a new computer, I will probably keep the installed windows OS and dual boot with one of the above distros.

8. boonie

boonie Registered Member

Man, what timing. Having a four day weekend for T.G., I've decided try out Linux (Ubuntu).
    Windows XP is my OS of choice for gaming, and it is relatively stable and secure.

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I would choose Windows - but still cannot decide between XP and Vista . XP SP2 rocks but the Aero rocks , too :D :thumb:

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

M$ loves you. :gack:

11. ultragunnerdcl

ultragunnerdcl Registered Member

Same here, But I am also planning to install linux by the way. Debian linux

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Google for the "FREE" and very newest VistaMizer for XP (2.1.1.0). Includes Flip 3-D/Glass Transparency/Vista Side Bar etc.

Why on earth donate for a Vista with much costlier requirements when you can see and experience Vista on your XP. For that matter, reshack the RUN, sysdm.cpl, and shell32.dll to add the very nifty looking progress animation and you got a Vista!
    I'll add GlassToast is also a very glassy balloon tips tweak that dynamically loads to explorer but is perfectly stable and eliminates that dog ugly balloon tip even in vista. LoL

13. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Put some choices on that poll!
    Needs choices for:
    Win 2K,
    Win98,
    BSD flavors,

As for me, I have Win 98, Win98SE, and a couple Linux flavors. I've recently added Win 2000-SP4, priced right at a yard sale.
    Even though the 2K box has a faster processor and more RAM, my 98 box still runs circles around it. It's still my OS of choice for speed, reliability, and secure browsing.
    Rick

14. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Although I really don't like Vista, it's much more than eye candy, but you know that ;)

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It took XP 6 years to mature in terms of stability and security: I'm very comfortable with it. I don't have the time and patience to try other OSs. perhaps to buy a Mac would be a totally different story.

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

True enough, but consider this. You can always go dual-core if thats your piece of cake but the bottom line will always remain when it comes to Microsoft to MEMORY! Juice up you memory card to the very limits your mobo allows and watch XP take off like a rocket! Add a Super-Defrag like UltimateDefrag/PD or one of those that strategically do file placements to the closest end of the disc rim, and your XP will SMOKE vista.

17. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

None of the above.

OpenBSD is my first choice except when I want to get all the speed I can possibly get out of a system, then I use FreeBSD (but stability and security and just working are much more important then speed to me).

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

18. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Win2K. Very reliable - never crashes.

(no choice in the poll)

----
    rich

19. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Yes, XP's I/O is faster than Vista's at the moment.
    Dual/Quad-core + 2+ GB of RAM + speedy disks + Matrix RAID + good partitioning + smart defragging = ;)

20. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Windows XP since its stable, fast, and theres lots of tweaks for it. Also Windows is a must for gaming.

21. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Registered Member

No Multics or Solaris....?

If I say openSuse then I'm cool, right? Using Vista; seems fine.

Have to agree - the OS is a means to an end. I use linux, XP, Vista regularly, all seem to get the job done. I think the differences are not so much anymore, but I'm certain there are OS zealots who will get all emotional about it:rolleyes:

22. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I used XP Pro for years but Vista Home Premium works better on this computer. It is faster more stable and I have not had one problem so far.

23. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

As soon as wine can handle every windows application there will be no need for windows anymore. Linux is getting better every release and customized. I use windows xp because the family is more used to it but i like opensuse. Ubuntu is actually a bare bones linux but why is it rated so high? Everything works right and stable and they got the biggest repos in the world? :D

Everyone should try linux. It is basically a mac but a little harder.

PCLINUXOS=Beginners
    openSUSE=Intermediate (Experienced Windows XP/Linux User).

24. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Sorry Have never tried Linux. How would I find out if wine ? could handle my applications ? For example I need Nuance - Paperport 11. no mention on their site that it will work with Linux. Unless this program and probably 10 others will work ( just as fast) then I will not be changing. I would like to but it has to be (a) easy and (b) let me run the programs I run now

25. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

I agree.
    Really? I like Knoppix especially GParted, extremely easy and cool.
    Sounds good I have to check that.
    What about multi core optimization? I heard Vista should handle that better?! Anyone of you managed to Run ReactOS?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.