NIS 2008 no internet connection problem

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Eclipse99fwb, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eclipse99fwb

Eclipse99fwb Registered Member

Hi last night I was renewing my fiance's parents Norton AV. They had bought a license for the NIS 2008, since they had expired. The very first thing I did, was used the online NOD32 scanner to make sure everything was clean. It found some adware and removed it. The next thing I did was remove the eset's online scanner program, removed Norton 2003 version they still were using (did not use the Norton Removal tool). After I went thru and deleted the left over files for Norton, I was going to go into the registry, but it was late. So I ran the installer for NIS 08, opted out of doing the first scan, since I was going to do a scan after I checked for updates. Install went smooth, did a reboot afterwards. Also I didn't register it yet, as I was planning on doing it after I installed. Once I got back into windows, went to do a live update, nothing it just sat trying to connect. I tried to open IE, and again no connection to the internet. Just got the usually Windows message about not able to connect. I checked the simple things like wiring, and router, all still plugged in, and working. I know I had the connection right before installing Nis. I was going to try the winsock fix tonight, thinking something got shuffled around. Anyone had this problem, or can think of anything I can try? I'm not familar with Norton that much, I know NOD32 alot better. The only other thing I can think is to uninstall, go through delete any thing left over in the reg. Then pray and install again. Any help would be greatly appericated.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello!

Uninstall Norton Internet Security from Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs and reboot.

Again open Add/Remove programs and have a look for something Symantec . If you find something called Live Update or Symantec , or Norton , uninstall it , too

Reboot

Make sure Windows Firewall is enabled

Download Symantec's Norton removal tool
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Run it . Perform reboot if necessary.

Perform Winsock repair:

Windows XP SP2

Goto Start –> Run
    type cmd and click OK.
    Type netsh winsock reset
    Press ENTER . Restart immediately !

N.B. ! There is a space between the commands , example netshSPACEwinsockSPACEreset

Install NIS 2008 again , reboot . Check the firewall settings . This is important because the last time I tried NIS I got exactly the same problem and it was the firewall of NIS blocking everything include its LiveUpdate .

Try different things/settings/contact their support . If you cannot fix the problem , perform uninstallation again , again run the Norton removal tool , again repair Winsock and install trial version of another product (e.g. Eset Smart Security or something else of your preferance) :thumb:

3. amysheehan

amysheehan Registered Member

Try this trick [ documented by Symantec ]
    Here are the instructions for resetting the program rules for NIS2008
    Go to STEP 2:
    Reset all program rules
    1 Start Norton Internet Security.
    2 In the lower left corner of the window, click Options > Norton Internet Security.
    3 In the left pane, click Personal Firewall, and then click Program Control.
    4 Click the first rule in the program rules list.
    5 Press Ctrl+A to select all rules.
    6 Click Remove.
    Firewall protection will not be lost by removing program rules. They will be restored automatically.
    7 Click Yes when asked to confirm the clearing of program rules.
    8 Click OK to close the Norton Internet Security Options.
    9 Start the specific program and try to connect to Internet.

LINK: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...57355004bd26f?OpenDocument&seg=hm&lg=en&ct=us

If this doesn't solve your issue I have another work-around that I got from Symantec for 2007 versions that DOES work on 2008 as well. I just tested on both before mentioning to you

-amy-

4. Eclipse99fwb

Eclipse99fwb Registered Member

thanks for the replys, I will try tonight, as I wasn't able to last night. i will update on the result.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.