is there a good vista FW yet? i can't use vista until i find one!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by iceni60, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i really need a FW for vista. i've completely stopped using it because i can't block all the connections made to MS that i see in the logs, it's mainly when programs crash and somekind of report is sent.

i tried something with a name like the vista FW service, but it didn't install properly and i just get an error when it tries to load. (i'm starting to think i need to do a reinstall because i generally get 3/4 errors at each boot!)

so, can anyone recommend a good FW? i want a rules based and free one. i think there's one by LooknStop, is that the only option? and is it good with vista? thanks.

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

LnS is shareware. I think that Zone Alarm has a Vista version.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i thought there was a free version of LooknStop. i tried ZA a few years a go and it was really resource hungry, but if that's the only option i might have to try it out. thanks.

4. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Hi iceni60 :)

Unfortunatly there is no free version of LnS but there is a "clone" version of LnS: free PC Tools firewall.

http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

Claims to be :

"Designed for Windows® Vista™ 32-bit, XP, 2000 and Server 2003."

But since is based on the LnS code (as far as I know) there is some limitations I supposed...

Check this thread about the most recent LnS version and Vista:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=175766

:)

5. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, iceni60

I am using the new LnS x64 beta version with no running problems, it not free but so very nearly free when you look at the cost on the Order Page. :eek:

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

6. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi.

Isn't there an option to not send the error reports to MS?
    I would stop and disable "Windows error reporting service" in Vista. It has no dependencies or requirements. But that's just me. That would also stop generation of logs for errors, so if you don't like the idea I believe the only alternative which suits all your needs from the first post (rule based/free) is PCTools firewall.

Regards,

7. Diver

Diver Registered Member

The built in firewall can be set up to block all connections that are not authorized by a rule, although it has default rules for basic networking. It is not easy to set up, especially because it blocks outbound connections silently. You could use something else like PC Tools for a week to get an idea of what programs you need to make rules for.

Some have taken the approach of blocking communications with Microsoft by making entries in the hosts file. There was a piece on keznews.com if you have never been there.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for the help everyone. i suppose i'll try out the pctools FW. i really want to start using windows again, i quite like windows security and all the freeware too.

my install is already really unstable and i've only used it for about one week in all :eek: i don't have a windows disc either, only restore discs i made and they have loads of rubbish on so i can't use them. i'm not sure what to do, but maybe i'll start another thread about that!

i looked at tweaking the builtin FW but it looks really horrible to setup, i might just wait 6 months and hope a nice FW is out by then and there should be more vista setup guides i can follow too, i have no clue what's going on with it lol

9. Diver

Diver Registered Member

It won't take 6 months. Comodo 3 should be ready before that, and it is probably the most promising thing out there. It even has 64 bit support.

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

If this is based on LnS code, why is it almost 5MB in size? Isn't LnS around 500kb?

11. nhamilton

nhamilton Registered Member

Other then it was originally based on LnS, PCTools has made a lot of changes and improvements. There has been a lot done to make the User interface more attractive and user friendly, a complete separation of the UI from the service.

12. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Hi zapjb :)

:eek: So much ? Hmmmm... no idea. :doubt:

EDIT:

Nhamilton give you the reason I guess.

I don't agree with "more user friendly" but it's only my opinion.
    The GUI and service separation is a planed improvment for next LnS release.

:)

13. nhamilton

nhamilton Registered Member

I do like v3 of the pctools firewall. I guess there is always to make it better. How do you think they could make it more user friendly?

14. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

There was/is a free (lite) version. But this does not have application filtering (and is not vista compatible) Info/ Download

15. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, zapjb

May it come with the support languages as a integrated language pack. :doubt:

Supports the following languages - English (US), English British, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Korean, Japanese, German, Dutch, Russian, Polish, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Portuguese Brazilian and French.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

16. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

What about a simple ap, Vista Firewall Control 1.1?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.