SafeSpace Beta

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Tidyup, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Do try against some of the kernel unhooker malware. I'm wondering how it'll fare against them. :D

Thermodynamics quiz complete... off to sleep... zzz... I hate my lecturer...

2. Tidyup

Tidyup Registered Member

Thank you for this feedback. I will look into these issues ASAP.

We are already aware of the DirectX Keylogger method, and this will be resolved for release.

Regards,

Kris.

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Is SafeSpace a rebranded / reworked Bufferzone?

4. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Can a tester let me know how one updates Firefox extensions using Safespace?

What's the process?

Likewise for new programmes?

Is it similar to Defensewall in that you set the programme as trusted?

I'm waiting for the more informed posters to try it a little while longer before downloading.

Thanks,
    Ian

5. Tidyup

Tidyup Registered Member

No. As I mentioned, we have been developing SafeSpace for over 3 years.

6. Tidyup

Tidyup Registered Member

Firefox extensions will install inside SafeSpace. However, because the Firefox installation directory is virtualized, any extensions which are added, will be wiped when you next purge (or log off).

If you want to install extensions for more permanent use, there are two options:

1. Temporarily run Firefox outside SafeSpace - this can either be done from the console, or by right clicknig the SafeSpace icon in the Systray.

2. Temporarily add the Firefox installation directory to the Privacy Page as Full Access, allowing SafeSpace to make changes to the real directory. Again, changes to the Privacy settings are dynamic, and are immediately enforced.

Regarding new programs you would like to protect with SafeSpace, you simply add them to the list in the Applications Page. SafeSpace intercepts them being launched from then on and always runs them protected.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards.

Kris.

Artificial Dynamics.

7. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Thanks, Kris

I'll give it a go.

First, Derby, now, Warrington.

UK software companies are popping up in unusual places :).

Ian

8. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi Kris looks interesting, having a look now:) ...big download.

9. Tidyup

Tidyup Registered Member

It includes all the pre-requisite software required, which accounts for the bulk of the download.

10. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

I think that the installer should just contain the actual program. When ran, it should download and install the required components if they're not already installed.

11. osip

osip Registered Member

Had to revert my system...Installed and rebooted OK,did´nt detect opera browser which I manually added, after this when rebooting I fell in endless reboot cycle at the end of win:s boot process...Probably some compatibility issue, I have Returnil but with protection off...maybe that´s the problem...

12. Tidyup

Tidyup Registered Member

Hi Osip.

Thanks for highlighting this issue. I'll run some tests with Returnil.

For your info, the list of applications detected automatically by SafeSpace is minimal for the Beta (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Windows Live / MSN messenger) but in future releases we will be expanding the list to include all of the commonly used browsers, messengers and file sharing/P2P applications.

Best regards,

Kris.

Artificial Dynamics.

13. osip

osip Registered Member

Thanks for your answer,Kris...I really liked the approach of safespace,before I try again I need to know if Returnil was the problem or not...Another thing(actually I installed 2 times) I discovered was a problem with Admuncher, what´s your recommendation concerning this app, the whole app folder to trusted ?

handshakes...

14. dogma

dogma Registered Member

Hi all

Any reasons why I should replace GESwall FREE with this new (seems to be unlimited) program?

I see that the personal edition is not limited, unlike Geswall free, and does detect (without any configuration) IM's and p2p software (soon) out of the box?

Thanks in advance.

15. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

well for one thing geswall free still allows you to right click and run isolated any app you want to. geswall free/paid has been put through many nasty tests and passed them, both from users of this board and from av-comparatives.

not to mention safespace is still in beta form and we don't know what features will remain after the final version is released or if it will even be free for personal use after the full version comes out.

all i'm saying is, if safespace is still free for personal use after the final version comes out (hell even a free version with some features missing) i'd still not hesitate to install it or recommend it to others. i'm LOVING safespace so far and it seems like it's one of 3 programs i'd pay for, the other 2 being geswall and defensewall.

16. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

I have a Dell XPS200 XpProS2 fully patched with returnil installed but disabled and no other software or programs on my box other than what comes with XpProS2. Installation of this program went ok but took awhile to unpack. Rebooted. Program did some initial something then icon was visible in bottom right. Tried using the run as feature by right clicking the icon and tried to run firefox but it didnt launch. I couldnt get fire fox to run at all. Tried launching firefox using the regular .exe couldnt get it to launch. Rebooted again and tried again same result. Bummer I wanted to test this program out on a real live system but no go.

17. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

I could have sworn you can do that for SafeSpace too!

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

License:Free Average User Rating: Be the first to rate this product! Downloads: 507
    Requirements: Windows XP SP2/Vista
    Limitations: No limitations
    Date Added:August 2, 2007

One of these days i'll get around to SP2, probably when SP3 is released. I'm a little slow in catching up with the $M patch jobs. I prefer to piece together where possible my own homemade hole plugs or let security software make up for $M's gross limitations in computer-coding engineering feats.

I am however greatly inspired to find SafeSpace (beta) yet another "NEW" development in this highly popular security arena of Protection and looks like another welcome addition to take serious note of.

Welcome and All The Best For A Successful Run :)

19. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I installed safespace on my Vista 32 bit. Installation went fine but I when I tried to open Internet explorer and Firefox, they just hang, wouldnt load at all, no trace of their processes in the memory. No error messages. I had to do a cold reboot and uninstall Safespace. Could this be because I installed it in a limited account?

20. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

I did not realise this thread was running. I posted this yesterday under Sandboxie Returnil or SafeSpace:

"I tried SafeSpace (I use Sandboxie & Returnil) today for the first time.

Very nice & pleasing GUI. I agree with the comments voiced in other threads that its very similar to BufferZone in concept but (in my view a lot easier to use).

Installation was not good. It hiccupped then stalled in an eggcup freeze. Using task manager appeared to jog it along., but when it installed I got an error message "The connection to SafeSpace agent is down...."

I could not get it to work. Even after a repair install. Uninstallation and then reinstalling it solved the problem.

SafeSpace, DOES NOT WORK WITH KEYSCRAMBLER. So if you do on line banking ARE YOU PRPARED TO GIVE UP KEY SCRAMBLER TO USE SafeSpace.

In my case I think not.

Given GesWall BufferZone and Sandboxie (the latter works with KeyScrambler) it is difficult to see what is on offer with SafeSpace that is really different apart from an attractive GUI. Their web site is full of the usual meaningless hyperbolae.

I am still awaiting a reply from the developers!!

Finally my biggest criticism is reserved for the 35mb download which results in a 6mb install. Absolutely ludicrous.

In my view a half decent product with a lousy start.

Come on SafeSpace developers you can do better"

Terry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.