Anyone tried XeroBank (formerly Torrify)

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Genady Prishnikov, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bababooey

bababooey Registered Member

im looking for a anon vpn that will allow me to browse WITH java/javascript and yahoo or msn messenger. would the XB-Machine option of xerobank work for this?

2. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

bababooey,

You can use xB Pro for this. It is a VPN that will allow pretty much all internet access.

Regarding xB Machine, a development pre-release will be available for download on August 3rd.

I will also be at DefCon in Las Vegas at the beginning of August, giving a presentation on Portable Privacy. So if anyone wants to attend or quiz me in person, I'll be available.

In the presentation, we will also be releasing some comparisons of commercial anonymity networks, and some of their enormous security flaws. Yes, these are the big ones, folks.

3. SteveTX

4. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

You are doing good so far :)

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Hey Steve, I've been reading about the German privacy problems with new legislation. I saw your servers are with Hentzner in Germany. Do you have plans to move your servers? (I hope!)

You have a great thing going!

6. Jim Verard

Jim Verard Registered Member

Steve, could you please explain (I am quoting your explanation to see if there's some relation to my question) how your IPSpy works?

This is the main page which is open when Firefox/Xerobank starts (you may change later):

http://support.xerobank.com/IPSpy

Today I was looking, and these informations were sent by him:

PASSED (GREEN GIF PICTURE)

Anonymity Network:

TOR GIF
    Tor - The Onion Router Network
    Tor exit node name: {{ANONYMITY_EXIT_NODE}}

IP ADDRESS / HOSTNAME: 193.111.87.20

I was using XeroBank when I access that page.

However, before this time, I was using XeroBank and my true IP was also hidden (let's say my ISP address is 290.300.400.11 and TOR IP was 88.200.11.4).

My Outpost firewall is blocking further attempts to my xB browser to access web without Paranoid2000 rules (it is not possible to make any connections without accessing my proxy, and passing by 127.0.0.1 address). This is not the point.

The point is, your ISPy was saying WARNING (RED GIF PICTURE) before and there was no indication of this IP was related to TOR, like the first example:

Anonymity Network:

TOR GIF
    Tor - The Onion Router Network
    Tor exit node name: {{ANONYMITY_EXIT_NODE}}

My anonymity network at this time was some different name, not TOR. So, what's the big deal here? If you're saying there's nothing to worry about, why there are two different signs regarding our IP?

I was wondering if the "WARNING" advice was some kind of vulnerable proxy address since, from what I understand, XeroBank always uses TOR and TOR is the only network reliable or unbreakable in terms of security/privacy, according to your explanation of how our ISPs can't see all websites we are accessing, only encrypted data, while using XeroBank? (correct me if I am wrong).

OK, this is one example:

WARNING - RED GIF PICTURE

IP ADDRESS: 212.202.233.2

HOSTNAME: port-212-202-233-2.static.qsc.de

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  7. SteveTX

Jim,

The short answer is the page is incomplete. Warning doesn't mean we *know* you aren't protected, we just can't verify that the IP address you are using comes from the Tor network. Our script updates the tor node list every x minutes/hours etc. So if you are using a node that isn't verified against our most recent list of active tor exit nodes, you get the "Warning" displayed.

Steve

8. Jim Verard

Steve, about my previous question:

Since there are many Firefox translated versions available, it should be somehow easy for you just pick up each one of them (brazilian portuguese, spanish, italian, and others) in order to make all of them available on Xerobank's browser download area. Right?

I didn't realize at the time of my question, XeroBank was in fact the english Firefox modified (in my thoughts he was a unique browser). And I was thinking all translated versions were using some add-on to do the translation. That's wrong, they are already translated from the very beginning. So, you don't need to translate XB to all languages - at least, the Firefox functions.

9. SteveTX

Jim,

The translations were for the version of the website. For translated versions of the browser, you simply download a mozilla language pack and install it as a plugin, then select it as your language with the quick locale switcher addon.

10. Jim Verard

Thanks, Steve! Now I am able to change the language like you said!

Hey, Firefox has been updated today into 2.0.0.5 version.

I have a question: I was trying to update XeroBank 2.0.0.4b and the first attempt has not been sucessfull. XB was downloading 700 KB and tried to update Firefox, and failed. Now he is downloading 7 MB. Am I crazy or he is trying to download the entire Firefox in order to perform this update? 7 Megabytes? Too much to be just a small update.

If new versions of XeroBank free browser were being released, how could you perform an update without lose any configurations previously saved? Just replace the former .exe file?

For instance, let's say you have updated XeroBank into 2.0.0.4c (I am not talking about the Firefox update 2.0.0.5 itself, let's say you have implemented a new tool inside XeroBank, not just one of extensions, like Noscript). What I have to do in order to save my old configs and update XeroBank?

I hope my update works in the next minutes. :)

11. Jim Verard

Owg! This stupid update reset all my Firefox and Noscript configurations (I don't know the way they were configured before, specially Noscript).

All of them (even the way Firefox is connecting to the internet, he changes to "Direct Connection"), only my passwords and perhaps form informations were untouched and not reseted (that's an improvement over the crash between the former Torpark and Firefox while someone was trying to open both at the same time). When Torpark was crashing, even passwords and forms were reseted. That's why XB, for security reasons, can't be used while Firefox is running.

It was necessary (in my case) reinstall XeroBank, and download once again from xerobank.com. Because this "Firefox update" mess up with all my configs!!!!!!!!! :ouch:

AdBlock Plus was not affected. That's strange.

Oh, now I see you have updated XeroBank into 2.0.0.5a version. I should see that coming.

I left this advice, don't try to update directly Firefox if you're using XeroBank.

XB 2.0.0.5a instaled on my Hard drive as I send this message to Wilders Security. I am adjusting my preferences now.

12. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

13. SteveTX

Jim, did you force an update of firefox through xB Browser? Updates should be turned off by default. I think to keep this from happening, I'll cripple it and include a plugin to port over your prior settings from over version of xB Browser to the next. Or... I could make the first time you run it ask if you are upgrading from a prior version...

14. Jim Verard

Well, all updates were turned off after I install XeroBank for the first time (or they were turned off by default, I can't remember now).

It's all my fault, I just clicked on Firefox help menu to see if they were releasing a new Firefox version. And Firefox just answer me: there is a 2.0.0.5 version! Click here to update. Great coincidence.

So, I did this update manually, and the first attempt has failed. Please someone confirm if this update requires 700 KB or 7 MB.

XB refuses to update the 700 KB download, and then, tells me to try again, the first attempt failed. So, 7 Megabytes were downloaded (o_O?), and Firefox (from XeroBank) was affected the way I explained to you.

There's another thing. When I was adjusting my Outpost firewall, according to Paranoid2000 member explanations to avoid direct connections from the browser (all of them are now going through 127.0.0.1), I blocked XeroBank.exe from connecting to internet, and released Tor.exe and Firefox.exe (both from XB directories).

So, everything is fine here. The strange thing is, after Tor.exe connects you, Xerobank.exe tries to connect to update.xerobank.com after firefox.exe is opened. This attempt is blocked every time.

I was thinking, maybe Steve adjusted a default connection to xerobank.com servers through Xerobank.exe which warns everyone a new update is available (from Xerobank, not Firefox).

You need to include this information on your FAQ, because most of Xerobank users will try to update their browsers (the Firefox modified) manually, and could experience the same problems. And how we may update one XeroBank to another without lose any configurations?

This firefox extension you suggested is really necessary, in order to avoid these problems (I don't know the reason behind my configs reseted).

15. Jim Verard

Quote from Steve posted here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=179101

Today, after I reinstall Xerobank (because of Firefox update problem), I was trying to change my default theme to Winestripe.

So I did one research on Mozilla's website, and download this file (winestripe.jar) to my Hard drive. (Note: Java Console was updated to 1.6.2 version).

I did this because I don't like the default theme. For instance, the old Torpark theme was much better.

I tried to open inside and outside Xerobank this Winestripe JAR file. Windows tells me it's an invalid or corrupt file. So I figured: perhaps this is an old version of this theme and needs to be updated like Firefox.

I tried again, this time by moving the icon of this file directly to Firefox themes window.

Now it works - he asks me to install, and restart my browser.

Well, at some point I was restarting Xerobank/Firefox and that popup was showed (and before you ask me, I am talking about XB/Firefox modified). My regular browser was not touched by all means:

*** It appers Firefox is already started. Shutdown Firefox and start Xerobank? :)

So, I say no to this pop-up and XB was started.

And here's my tragedy. All previous configs were RESETED AGAIN! :mad:

Only passwords, form informations and favorites were not affected.

Noscript, once again, was modified (and was not protected this time, like Steve configured).

So, in order to buy me some time (and a lot of work writing passwords and favorites again), I started Torpark and look into Noscript configurations, only to see how Steve configured.

The problem is, this crash has affected the way XB/Firefox was connecting to internet.

I look into Torpark configurations, and it was exactly this way:

localhost, 9050
    Sock5
    No host for: localhost, 127.0.0.1

XB has the same configuration.

However, XB was different after this theme crash.

(PrefBar shows a strange pop-up saying he was updated and asking me if my database can be rebuild, I don't remember, but I am sure I say no). And there's no update of PrefBar. It was only a theme!

XB/Firefox was modified to connect into some 8118 port, perhaps others.

I change it back to the way Torpark was configured.

No use. XB was still unable to connect to internet.

So, I remove the entire XB from my directory and reinstall (the second time in one day!).

And before I do anything, I tried to install this Winestripe theme.

And it WORKED! I am using this theme now! :eek:

*** Steve, you have to recompile XB again, and remove the option of start him anyway. (option "No").

You really have to modify XB to shutdown (option YES) without our permission.

You see, I refuse to do that, and my configs were erased. You can't allow Xerobank to harm himself.

Windows crashes XeroBank sometimes (while he is starting, however, there's nothing wrong about that, it's just a DLL message, perhaps because you're running another process at the same time, I see that kind of error always while I am running some computer game who uses a lot of CPU), and Tor.exe was still in his cache memory (type Control + Alt + Dell after this DLL error and see Tor.exe process, even after XB is closed for minutes.).

That's probably the reason for the pop-up being showed for the first place. It was not my fault or my regular Firefox browser being used.

As for the update.xerobank.com connection, related on my previous post, this is just a pop-up warning that there's another version of Xerobank available.

I see that warning after my Torpark was opened. What brings me the question of doing a critical update of XB/Firefox without losing anything, or messing with advanced configurations.

Note 2: All automatic updates related to Firefox are disabled by default on XB.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  16. anon6565

anon6565 Registered Member

What is the release date for version 2.0.0.5a and where is the changelog? I could not find any info on xerobank.com.

Has anyone got it (or previous versions) running under wine in Ubuntu/Kubuntu 7.04?

I agree that the forum should be brought back.

The website does not render properly in Firefox in Linux:
    http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1191/xerobanksk0.png

17. SteveTX

2.0.0.5a was released. 2.0.0.6a will be out pretty soon. I haven't been publishing changelogs, but I guess I could. It is almost all little code changes but you're right. I'll soon start making changelogs and posting old copies for download.

Good news. We are going to bring the forum back. I've talked to some friends and I will do public support at the privacy forum they are starting up.

Okay Jim, you get all the bad luck. Yes, update.xerobank.com points to the updates. We currently don't use the mozilla updater because it is spoofable. I'll cripple it shortly. And I think.... that I'll hard encode the xerobank settings via the user.js, and allow user settings to stay only on the prefs.js. That should keep the anonymity settings hard, but your profile prefs soft and changable.

However that gives me an idea... like a "save profile settings" button. I'll think about that for a while. There may be a better way.

18. anon6565

anon6565 Registered Member

Yes, I know, but could you tell me the release date anyway, I like to archive my files together with the original release date. I'm very glad to hear that the forums are coming back and that you will be posting changelogs!

19. SteveTX

Well lets see. I uploaded it on the 19th, I think it became available on the 21st.

20. Jim Verard

There are some points you must consider. :)

The idea of saving all Firefox settings is excelent, and apply these settings to another Xerobank already installed on some different machine, and our own if it's necessary. And even prevent these crashes related by myself.

However, the crash related before also affects NoScript, the most important extension of XeroBank.

I tried to change him back to the way Steve have configured before, and I wasn't sure what was activated inside him, or not.

After this "crash", he was configured to allow very popular websites like hotmail.com (I am not kidding! :D ) and even allowing Java, Javascript, Flash... :gack:

At least, if this "feature" is unable to save NoScript options, you should include in XB's wiki tutorial the best way he may prevent all threats (the way you have configured NoScript in the first place).

Second, I am aware that some programs may be updated from one version to another without any further damage (some P2Ps, for example, asks if some config. files maybe overwrited (the new files maybe saved on the same directory, while you're installing the new version)), like losing any settings saved or messing with advanced configurations (I consider very dangerous the possibility of some crash remove my anonymous cloak device (may I call that?), at any time).

Let's say I was a total newbie and my Tor button was not placed on Xerobank's status bar (Tor enabled/disabled text, not the huge button), and my firewall was not preventing direct connections from Xerobank.

I may keep using Xerobank for a while and even don't be aware that I am not anonymous anymore!!!!!

That's the reason for my sugestion for you to recompile XBBrowser to avoid at all costs the pop-up "It appers Firefox is running. Close Firefox and start running XeroBank?".

It's an unecessary risk to let this question being asked.

If you answer yes, nothing happens. (and XB should force this option to be applied if it's necessary, even without our permission).

If you answer no, there are chances of every settings being lost, and our anonymous cloak device from Xerobank removed after this "crash".

In the past, Torpark was reseting even our usernames/passwords and userforms. I know this pop-up doesn't exist in the former Torpark. However, the crash is not entirely eliminated.

What brings me to this situation stated before:

Let's just say I was a total newbie and my Tor button was not placed on Xerobank's status bar (Tor enabled/disabled), and my firewall was not preventing direct connections from Xerobank.

I may keep using Xerobank for a while and even don't be aware that I am not anonymous anymore.

Like I explained, this situation already happened to me, when:

a) I was forcing Xerobank to run while regular Firefox was running - I know this can't be done for security reasons, like Steve and Wikipedia explained - someone may not be aware and keep trying anyway;

b) Installing some plugin and reseting Xerobank, and facing some Windows memory cache DLL error, who believes XB is still running, even after he is closed, seconds ago - and if XB is still running, XB will believe he is Firefox, and shows that pop-up again (It appers Firefox is running. Close Firefox and start running XeroBank?), confusing anyone;

c) One failed plugin installation (NoScript, once, while I was reseting XB/Firefox and installing the new version, erased all Firefox configs without any explanation - it was not fault of that pop-up "It appers Firefox is running. Close Firefox and start running XeroBank?". He did this alone!);

As for the Firefox 2.0.0.5 update, unfortunatelly it seems there's no way to remove all update functions from Mozilla on XeroBank (internal ones and Help menu "Verify updates" option), unless you may redirect them to xerobank servers, in order to prevent this problem (if you're saying Mozilla's updates are spoofed, a lot of people are not aware of that).

You see, XeroBank (and also some P2Ps) have only a warning that there's a new version available on some website (you have to surf on the developer's website and download the same program all over again).

You should consider the idea of a new Firefox extension who may download and install a new XeroBank version, directly using the browser, only the new modified archives, not the entire XB again (11 MB), if it's possible.

Even if this is not possible, this extension should do this job and keep our configs saved after a XB (and Firefox) critical update, who may be done while a Firefox extension pop-up is being showed your download progress (the same way we do with Windows Update).

That's it (sorry for the long post, I talk too much). :)

Some things I must add to my previous posts from the last pages:

Fishing Expedition: Legal grasping at straws; the use of pre-trial investigation (discovery) or witness questioning in an unfocused attempt to uncover damaging evidence you can use against your adversary.

"An attempt to discover the facts about something by collecting a lot of information, often secretly. The investigators' request for the company's accounts is simply a fishing expedition - they have no real evidence of wrongdoing."

From Xerobank's help FAQ, regarding TOR:

Does the XeroBank network rely on Tor?

No. The XeroBank network is entirely independent of the Tor network.

How can XeroBank offer access to Tor hidden services?

XeroBank network has gateways internal to our network that have mapped the Tor network, and act as entry nodes to it. In addition, xB software is setup to use its own private nameservers. The result of this combination is that when you enter in a .onion address in your browser, XeroBank knows how to reach that address.

Is XeroBank using donated Tor network bandwidth for commercial gain?

No. However, we do provide access to Tor hidden services from the XeroBank network. What this essentially does is lighten the burden on the Tor network by shifting some of the load from the Tor network, to the XeroBank network.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  21. Jim Verard

Regarding this unknown error, here are some details from the Windows XP pop-up. It represents nothing more than a warning.

Sometimes is showed, many times not. XB keeps running after this warning without any problems. I don't know what he represents, someone may explain to me?

My computer, and internet connection, are very fast. Perhaps Windows XP can't deal with his memory cache and always shows this error? After that happens I need to close this pop-up manually. In the past, this error forces any software to be closed without our permission. Did you remember the blue screen of death?

I was considering the possibility of this pop-up being showed if, while you're starting Xerobank (and trying to establish a connection), keep running another software at the same time, however, not only the same time, but typing alt + Tab (or not) and choosing to see his window, instead of Xerobank's.

There's a option used by some programs called "Always on Top". Maybe this DLL error is somehow related to this feature. However, every time this pop-up is showed I am not using this function.

What I am trying to explain is, the chances of this kind of error shows up are much often if you choose to use or view another window/software instead of "Xerobank's trying to connect" startup window.

Maybe this operation (XB trying to stablish his network) is sensitive or requires more CPU's attention and needs you to be focused and not doing other things on your computer at the same time.

Perhaps this explains why Firefox can't be started more faster than Internet Explorer. IE is already part of the OS, and can be started in one second, imediatelly. Firefox takes at least 2-3 seconds.

Maybe Firefox is responsible, since the pop-up error is showed after XBBrowser.exe tries to open Firefox.exe.

After this pop-up error is showed, TOR.exe process can be seen after you type Control + Alt + Del even after Xerobank/Firefox are closed (he stays there, like a ghost!). I always finish Tor.exe process manually, after this error, while acessing control + alt + del. He uses 13.912K from memory.

Pop-up error messages:

XB Browser finds a problem and needs to be closed.

If you were working on some operation, the informations you sent maybe lost.

Details:

AppName: xbbrowser.exe AppVer: 2.0.0.5 ModName: unknown
    ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00aa123d

This report error will be included
    :

appcompat.txt

This file was downloaded on Rapidshare by me, if someone understands what means (I don't have a clue), check it out:

http://rapidshare.com/files/45511940/appcompat.txt.html

22. SteveTX

I will take a look at these problems Jim. The whole profile/settings system needs to be re-evaluated, IMO. The issue you are experiencing with the pop-up, Jim, is simply a failure int he program from acting the way that it should I'll take a look at the way the xB Browser shutdown is running and that should also solve the profile issue once we decide how to handle it.

23. Jim Verard

Thanks, Torrify! I hope you can fix these problems.

Just correcting myself:

This is without a doubt the source of this Windows memory cache error related on my last post.

Firefox.exe is too heavy compared with IExplorer.exe.

When XBBrowser.exe tries to open Firefox.exe this pop-up is showed (and not before, I am almost sure).

So, perhaps he is making more effort than usual to open the browser, and this is what causing this Windows failure. I don't like IE but no one can deny he is more faster than Firefox.

As for the NoScript configurations being erased/reseted along with Firefox itself after these crashes, I found the explanation on Noscript.net FAQ:

Q: Where's the NoScript whitelist stored? How can I backup / migrate it? How can I erase it?

A: Your NoScript whitelist is stored with all your Firefox preferences, inside your profile folder (prefs.js file). If you backup your profile, you are saving NoScript configuration as well.

If you want a copy of your whitelist as a text file, which you can transfer to other profiles or computers, you can use the Export and Import commands from NoScript Options|Whitelist.

If you want to erase your whitelist you can either use the NoScript Options user interface (recommended option) or manually remove from the aforementioned prefs.js all the preference entries whose name starts with "capability.policy.maonoscript".

http://noscript.net/faq

24. genuser3948

genuser3948 Registered Member

Does any user of this forum have an email address for Steve the developer or one of the developers relating to Tor/Zerobank?
    Thankyou

Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  25. Jim Verard

Try this one:

arrakistor
    @
    gmail.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.