Blue screen after restore XP to new computer

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by curt504, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curt504

curt504 Registered Member

TI 9 backup of old computer to external USB drive image. Use bootable TI 9 CD to restore to new computer's empty disk from backup image on the external USB drive. I used all automatic settings on backup and restore. Left the new disk partitioning default (maximizes C: to 100% of free space) and restore completed successfully.

Boot imediately after a very brief flash of the XP logo into Blue Screen. Shut down due to virus etc etc.

I suspect XP's new hardware detection is in play here. I thought doing a backup set the source disk / OS to recapture the hardware signature when booting the restored system. Or is this the function of clone disk?

Thanks for help, curt

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

When restorin an Image to a different computer, you have to use the Universal Restore feature - it is a separate add-on to True Image Workstation.

Sometimes this works without needing UR. Before you make an Image of the drive on the old system, change the display to a generic type. Then make the Image and do the restore to the other computer. Of course you then have to install drivers for all the devices in the other computer, including the video card.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You can try a repair with the XP CD and using the drivers that are apppropirate for the new machine. Trying to move an OS form one machine to another with accomoadting the change in hardware drivers is very likely to fail with BSOD.

4. curt504

Tnx for the UR tip for workstation! Maybe I can save some off the $79 price of WS for an upgrade from 9.0 home?

My misconception of the Windows kernel was that the kernel did a HW inspection on boot and loaded needed drivers dynamically which allows (I thought) for easy moving to new hardware. Maybe this was once possible, but the above is saying XP is no longer this flexible. I guess no mater, some amount up to $79 and another day of time and I'll get done what I need. I still have the old system running.

Think about this folks, Acronis was bought with disaster recovery in mind. This thread is saying that your DR insurance policy is buying less than you may think. But Universal recovery seems to fill this gap.

Thanks to all at Acronis!!

curt

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Actually, you want to do a "in-place upgrade" of Windows XP to get the new hardware recognized. Here's the MS KB article link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

6. curt504

Tnx alot for the MS link.

I still get the BOS (check for viruses etc) UI with the MS XP cd and also with a Dell MS XP install CD.

HW: brand new Dell E520

What would cause BOS (check for virus) on new HW, no devices / controller cards, reverted to the simple VGA built into the mother board?

tnx curt

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you are seeing.

When do you get this BIOS check for viruses? Is it at boot up before the Windows splash screen?

Go into the BIOS setup and see if the virus checking is enabled. If it is, disable it and then boot. If that fixes the problem, try re-enabling the virus check.

8. curt504

I'll create a new thread so others can find this easier:

Blue screen on boot, right after the XP (blue scrolling) logo, but before the login screen.

Restore from IDE/PATA system to SATA (newer) you'll typically find that the mother board / SATA controller will by default place the SATA drive in RAID mode even though you have only one disk.

The old OS doesn't know about RAID or the driver. Go into the BIOS and change the SATA configuration to ATA (or IDE which ever your BIOS says), just not RAID.

Your restore should at least get past the XP logo on boot up. Your next problem will be whether your old windows system has a driver for the new system's VGA controller and can figure this out on boot up. Some say here that if you set your old system down to VGA mode you might come up on the new system.

good luck, curt

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello curt504,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that you can find detailed description and instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation with Acronis Universal Restore in the respective User's Guide.
    You can purchase an upgrade from Acronis True Image 9.0 Home to Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation. Please notice that Acronis Universal Restore add-on has to be purchased separately.
    Please use the following link to purchase the upgrade:
    Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation Upgrade

As for transferring your operating system from IDE to SATA hard drives, please take a look at this article.

Also this post can be useful

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

10. curt504

Tnx re the UR links.

Can WS 9.1 + UR restore from a non WS backup? IE Home 9.0?

There's been some fuzzy description of UR's usefulness here, where nothings automatic on the restore side. Where I have to have all my drivers for the new HW on a separate CD/floppy. UR does not pull the drivers out of c:\i386 (assuming all that is needed is there)? The UR link you gave made it seem like UR does pull the needed drivers out of the backup's c:\i386?

I still need a acronis removal tool. I have Home9.0 and Disk Director that are partially removed an are damaging the WS9.1 install leaving it with damaged USB drivers so it's recovery CD can't see USB drives. I need to scrub my system clean to get WS9.1 to install properly?

Any help with a removal tool?

tnx alot, curt

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello curt504,

Please note that you can use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation in conjunction with Acronis Universal Restore to restore the image archives created with Home version of Acronis True Image as well. However, please be aware that Acronis Universal Restore add-on does not support Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Server, NT 4.0 Workstation, 98, or Me.

In addition to Marat's description would like to add that Acronis Universal Restore itself does not have any drivers included except of the so-called HAL drivers for the corresponding type of machine, i.e. machine you restore a disk\partition image to. Acronis Universal Restore uses three sources for drivers search: the list of user-specified (enforced) drivers, driver repository, and the Windows default driver storage folders (in the image being restored). The program will find the most suitable drivers of all available and install them into the restored system. However, the user-defined drivers will have the priority. They will be installed, with appropriate warning, even if the program finds the better driver.

Please also be aware that the primary goal of Acronis Universal Restore is to boot the restored system. The current version of this product handles only HAL and mass storage device drivers and does not install drivers for other devices (sound cards, network adapters, video cards etc.). All other drivers will be installed by Windows operating system at first boot on the new hardware.

As for complete uninstallation of Acronis Products, please have a look at this post to find the instructions on how to uninstall products of Acronis True Image Family manually. Check this post for the instructions on how to uninstall Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 manually.

However, please note that the issue with USB hard drive, which are not recognized in the standalone version of Acronis True Image most likely related to the Linux environment, which uses in the full variant of the standalone version of Acronis True Image. Thus, to solve the issue we would recommend that you collect the information requested in this previous post of mine and then submit a request for technical support so we could investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.
    Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.