Media Sharing in Vista

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Kielty, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

I have noticed that ESS blocks media sharing in vista (default firewall settings).

How do i configure the firewall to allow media sharing between pc's on a home network?

2. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

Has no one using vista had this problem?

3. sjgore

sjgore Registered Member

This sounds like a similar (if not identical) problem to trying to connect a PC and an XBox 360 to use Vista Media Center, which doesn't seem to work using ESS Beta 1 or Beta 1a.

The other thread that mentions this (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=170825) never got a reply from anybody from ESS.

Steve.

4. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

Similar, in vista you have the option to share media (audio and video) within Windows Media Player 11 on other PC's running WMP11 across your home network. ESS is blocking this.

Removing ESS everything works as it should. There are no pop ups or warning messages.

Anyone any idea how to resolve this issue?? is it a known bug?

Anyone from eset want to comment?

5. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

I would assume that the workaround is to use Interactive Mode, allowing permissions - in the trusted zone I assume - when requested. Either that or add WMP manually to the trusted zone? I don't use Vista so I'm guessing a bit here...

6. GhostMan

GhostMan Eset Staff Account

Hi Kielty

Do it this way.
    Set ESS firewall to interactive mode and delete all existinig rules (if any). Then try to share your media (send or access) and ESS windows should appear, asking you to allow or deny communication. Select allow and mark "save as a rule". Hope it will works :).

Regards.

7. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

...is what I had in mind...

8. GhostMan

GhostMan Eset Staff Account

Hi Jeremy

sorry for that, I was in hurry and maybe I don't read your notice carefuly :).
    Anyway, still better when more people answers as when nobody do, right?

Cheers.

9. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

thanks, tried that still not working correctly...

10. sjgore

sjgore Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

I tried it too, but it still doesn't work here either.

In Windows Vista Firewall, there are many rules relating to Media Center Extenders and Windows Media Player. I've tried manually re-creating these in ESS (using the correct port numbers and .exe's, etc) but still no success.

As Kielty said, removing ESS makes everything work again.

Steve.

11. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

Digging this one back up. I was trying to get my Directv HR-20 to see my media folders, over the weekend, using WMP11. Even tho I gave full access to WMP11, as well as it's network share program, I could not get the HR-20 to see it. However, after disabling filtering in ESS, the HR-20 could see my folders and play music/view pics just fine. I believe it has to do with some inbound/oubound TCP/UDP requests that are being auto blocked somewhere. I know having uninstalling ESS and then trying PCTools firewall, I could see the requests happening. PCTools firewall auto blocked them as well, but had an easy option where I could click on the block record in the log and it would ask if I wanted to create a rule, to allow it. I did this for a few blocked requests and the HR-20 was then able to connect on a consistent basis.

On ESS, I saw nothing in the log files, about anything being blocked, so I had no way of knowing what to do.

12. sjgore

sjgore Registered Member

Yes, it's definitely a problem with ESS. Both the vista-compatible final versions of Zone Alarm Security Suite 7.1 and Kaspersky Internet Security 7 can handle such traffic, and both suites actually prompt to create a rule when they detect it (no digging through logs!).

However, it is ESS that I want to use as my security suite, and not either of the above, so I'm hoping that Eset can fix this issue.

Steve.

13. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

I agree. I have used KIS6/7 and no bother but it is ESS i want to use...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.