Something's wrong with my PC after installing NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by jackieng, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackieng

jackieng Registered Member

I installed NOD32 trial today. After installing, I restarted Windows, then I found something strange occured on my system. After I was logged in Windows, only background was shown, all the icons and task bar below disappeared! And now, I can do nothing upon my system! What should I do? Please help.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi jackieng, welcome to Wilders.

What previous antivirus software was on that system?

Cheers :D

3. jackieng

I used McAFee Virus Scan before and didn't uninstall it before installing NOD32 trial. Does it lead to the problem?

4. Blackspear

Yes, that is the problem, please use the McAfee removal tool available through the following link: http://www.eset.com/download/av-uninstallers.php

After the above please uninstall and reinstall a FRESH copy of NOD32 and your system should be set to go... don't forget there is a very comprehensive NOD32 Tutorial located HERE that has simple step by step pictures.

5. jackieng

Thanks for your help. But, I still have one more question. Now, I can only see the background after logging into Windows. So, how can I download and then run that Antivirus uninstaller?

6. Blackspear

I would try uninstalling NOD32 in "Safe Mode", then reboot, after this download the McAfee uninstaller and then follow the instructions above for reinstalling NOD32.

7. jackieng

You mean that I would only manage to uninstall NOD32 before reinstalling in Safe Mode? I'm poor in computing, so I would like to ask how to enter Safe Mode when system starts up? Apart from McAfee antivirus software, would all other antivirus, antispyware and firewall softwares affect NOD32? Thanks in advance.

8. Blackspear

Hi there, to get your system back to stability and to a point where your desktop is displayed correctly, reboot your system into Safe Mode by turning the computer off and as it powers back on start tapping F8 on the top row of your keyboard, until you are prompted to enter Safe Mode as well as other choices. Use your keyboard arrows to scroll up to Safe Mode and then press Enter on your keyboard.

Once in Safe Mode, go to the Windows Control Panel> Add or Remove Programs and uninstall NOD32.

Reboot the system so it starts normally.

Download a FRESH copy of NOD32 as per the instructions in the Tutorial, HOWEVER, do NOT install it at this point.

Download the McAfee removal tool, SAVE it and then run it.

Reboot your computer.

Uninstall any other antivirus program.

If your have ever had Norton installed on that machine, then download, SAVE and then run the Norton Removal Tool.

Reboot the system again.

Install the FRESH copy of NOD32 that you downloaded above.

Reboot the system.

Continue with the NOD32 Tutorial.

Let us know how you go...

9. jackieng

Many thanks. I'm now trying according to your instructions. I'll tell you how I've gone later.

10. jackieng

My problem is still unsolved. I tried to enter Safe Mode but failed. When the system went to the blue screen where I was going to log into Windows, a dialog appeared, asking me either to click Yes to continue going into Safe Mode or No to start the system properly. I clicked Yes, then the system stopped at a black screen where the word "Safe Mode" was shown at every corner on the screen. Did I fail to enter Safe Mode?

11. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

No. That is the screen u see just before your logon screen to enter in safe mode.

snowbound

12. Blackspear

Did you see a form of your desktop, it sounds like it. At this point you then click on Start> Control Panel> Add or Remove Programs.

13. jackieng

It stopped at that screen for a long time. Is it normal or it crashed?

14. Blackspear

Did it continue on to a form of your desktop, icons would have been larger and not in their usual place. Was there still hard drive activity?

If no to the above, please try again.

15. jackieng

Only "Safe Mode" was seen at every corner on the screen and the background was black in colour. It stopped there for a long time and the PC seemed not busy or working.

16. Blackspear

Did you have the taskbar available at the bottom of the screen?

17. jackieng

No. Neither icons nor taskbar is seen. It seems that my PC is unable to cure.

18. Blackspear

Try booting back into normal mode, and then back into safe mode. We only need it to go into either mode once in order to remove NOD32.

19. Blackspear

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.