DEEP FREEZE ON GAMING MACHINES - I HAVE A PROBLEM, PLS HELP ME =(

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Jonil, Aug 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonil

Jonil Registered Member

Friends, I installed Deep Freeze in single partitioned drive... If a user saves MS Office Files and the likes, yes, he/she can do many ways that i learned from other experts, like saving them from mapped network drive, or another partition from another hard drive, or by using the thawspace feature of the new deep freeze. But the scenario is, i have a little cyber cafe with 8 computers running, and most users/clients are into offline gaming, and they couldnt save their game scenario/stage development into the drive because it is freezed up... after reboot, the progress stages of the offline games they played and saved went gone o_O :( and i always freeze/activate deep freeze to prevent bad users to do no good on the computers like deleting & chaging programs, games and the likes, and to have less maintenance on the computers... and im confused how can I find ways to solve this one :'( because some offline games have their game progress saving path located in their owned installed data files folder.... Not like Command & Conquer Generals, NBA Live 2005, and some that their game progress save folder is customizable to another path upon installation of the games... Please help me find ways to solve this problem because im only an ordinary computer user whom knows only few knowledge, and not a programmer or a computer expert. Please help me friends... I know someone here knows how to make way in this kind... Please help...

Sincerely,
    Jonil

2. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Either Partition your C:\ drive or install a second harddrive. Then install your games to the D:\ drive

I don't think there's any other way around it.

This will keep your C:\ drive clean of nasties (which is the really important drive)...keep your computer settings etc the same. But it won't effect your games, and people will be able to save games.

Bit of work, but likely worth it in the long run.

3. Jonil

Jonil Registered Member

But my main purpose also of installing the game programs in the freezed partition/drive is to prevent it from those bad programs like virus and spywares, etc...and even from bad user deletions or uninstallation... and if ill do your advice sir by making another partition in the drive, and put all the game programs in that unfreezed partition may not still help, i guess, cos the drive c: is where the windows folder located, and also registry located , and as i understand that deep freeze makes no changes also in the registry so if someone saves game, so as there is a change in the registry, then it will still be gone upon reboot, if im not mistaken sir o_O cos as what i understand sir, in that case, as a partitioned drive, drive c: is handling the drive d in its registry, i guess..so any changes in drive d: will affect drive c: also in its registry where the windows folder is located...but im not sure sir, i just guess... o_O

4. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

I think Vikorr is correct. I install my games on the unfrozen partition and the progress is saved with no problems.

5. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Ah, I see your source of confusion.

Spyware, Trojans and worms want to install almost exclusively to C:\ drive (to allow them both to hide, and to autostart). Most of them also require access to the registry. All of this is of course protected by DF

All online games that I know of do NOT store saved games to the registry, but they do store the location of the games executable in the registry. Therefore, after installation, you shouldn't need to make any changes to the registry in relation to saved games. I use ShadowUser - similar to DF on my computer, and my games are in SU's excluded folders list <similar to D:\ drive on a DeepFreeze'd machine>. None of them, including an online game, make changes to the registry.

An actual virus doesn't care which executable it attaches itself to (so the drive is irrelevant to a virus), which is the only reason I'd keep an AV running also (or at least run the occasional scan with one)

As for preventing installation/deletion I would create user accounts with limited priveleges, and log each computer on as a user account with those limited priveleges (can't install or delete software)

6. Jonil

Jonil Registered Member

I see! I got it now sir! :D Ill just install the offline games to the unfreezed drive/partition (for DF), or excluded folder (for SU) so that any changes, e.g. game progress that is made by the user will be saved and not affected by the security measure of the said programs ;) So, even though i will buy and install such DF and SU, still i need to buy and install AV and Anti spy also cos as u advised me, these bad programs dont care where to attached in the drive...and there is a possibility that it or these bad programs will go to the unfreezed drive or partition (for DF), or excluded folders (for SU) ;) And here is the actions of these AV and AS thingy (but not as frequent as w/o DF or SU) :D And as for the accounts (in XP u mean sir?), it depends on me on how will I configure it for the users :) Thank you so much Vikkor ;) Your a BIG help friend :) now I got additional knowledge :) Ill try it.

-Jonil :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.