SUPERAntiSpyware uninstallation problems...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ChrisBUK, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisBUK

ChrisBUK Registered Member

Hi all.

I have just uninstalled SUPERAntiSpyware free edition but I am having some problems. The actual uninstallation seemed to go well, but after rebooting Windows XP I noticed it left behind a folder in program files - I know this is not unusual, the problem is I cannot delete that folder because I get the error message below;

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7558/superantispywarebp2.jpg
    superantispywarebp2.jpg
    Any idea's why I cannot delete that folder? No SAS processes are running, my disk is not full or write protected either...

The reason for uninstalling SAS Free edition is because I am so pleased with it I want to try the trial of their Professional edition for real-time protection. I realise I probably could have still installed the Professional without uninstalling the free editon, but I wanted to see if it was able to uninstall itself OK. I hate it when programs leave stuff behind!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2007
  2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The threads on the SAS forum referrencing SASCTXMN.DLL and un-install almost all have the below suggestion.

http://forums.superantispyware.com/viewtopic.php?t=714

Bubba

3. ChrisBUK

4. david banner

david banner Registered Member

Why did you uninstall? I am thinking if installing in new PC

5. ChrisBUK

I uninstalled it to use the Professional version as I was so happy with the free version. :cool:

The professional seems to be using 55MB memory usage at the moment though, I was expecting it to be lighter. My antivirus and firewall both use under 15MB. Startup times also seem quite slow... :doubt:

6. david banner

OK will use free now!

7. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Don't worry. The amount of memory used is irrelevant, because SAS uses few resources. Memory consumption will be frankly reduced in version 4.0
    This might be related to "First Chance Prevention". Try disabling it and see if your bootup times improve.

8. david banner

I have version 4 now? 4.0.0.1072 it says in properties?

9. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

Did you download the 4.0 Pre-release from the forum link or the 3.9 version from the SAS homepage ?

10. fcukdat

The next version(4.0) which is still in Pre-release testing phase is using 28.8mb on my setup currently but there is no noticable performance hit from it:D

11. david banner

yes I remember now! Is that safe to install in my new pc

12. fcukdat

Your call ;)

It has been quite stable for sometime now but i know Nick dose not want to release it until it has been thoroughly tested inorder to minimize any new bugs when it is officially released to the mass's.

Fwiw recently quite a few of the ASW softwares have rolled out new software versions prematurely(insufficient testing) to encounter bugs and have to make updates PDQ.I think Nick dose not want to follow that trend:thumb:

13. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Is the 28.8MB that you're seeing from the Windows task manager or process explorer?

Task manager on my XP rigs show 500K. Kernel level memory usage is higher. Regardless, there is virtually zero impact on system performance.

14. fcukdat

ProcessExplorer is reporting that when idle in realtime(28.8-38.9mb during active scan) but as already established these figures don't mean a lot to the more informed folks as reguards how windows swaps out memory allocation in fractions of a second where as TM/PE don't refresh as quick and always report the highest usage figure per their cycle(not actual realtime).

Still as always the best way to assess an impact of any software is what you actually experience when using it:thumb:

Attached Files:

• PE.jpg
      PE.jpg
      File size:
      19 KB
      Views:
  15. ChrisBUK

Startup times seemed to have improved and it is running smoothly now. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.