can i install acronis on several computers?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by spider_darth, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spider_darth

spider_darth Registered Member

If i have acronis 7.0 (the free full version), can i install it on several computers? does having 1 serial number means that i am only entitled to install it on one computer? or.. does it has unlimited licenses?

so, if i were to use acronis 7.0 on another computer, do i have to 1st uninstall acronis from the current computer and install it on the computer i want. or.. can i install it on an external HDD, and run it from the external HDD whenever i need to create an image?

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You can read the End User License Agreement. It's basically one machine installation per license. You can use the BootCD on whatever machine you want.

3. aggronix

aggronix Registered Member

We asked Acronis the same question and we've got other information. We had to buy a license per computer from which we want to make a backup - even we use only the boot cd (rescue media) and we have installed TI nowhere (we had only installed one license temporairly to produce one rescue media cd).

Therefore we had to buy >30 licenses of TI Home 10 although we use only one rescue media cd to backup about 30 standalone PCs.

We got one Box and 30 license keys. Quite fair, I think.

regards aggronix.

4. spider_darth

in other words.. i cannot uninstall Acronis from one computer and install it onto another computer to use, am i right?

because should the previous computer which i uninstalled Acronis from crashes or sth... i won't be able to use Acronis Bootable CD to boot that comp up as Acronis is not installed it in.

please advise.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello spider_darth,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

According to Acronis License Policy, you need one license of a product to manage one computer. If you completely stop managing a particular computer using the given Acronis Product, you can use the license to manage another computer.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Cannot is not the same as "not included in the license". You can do a lot of things not covered by the licensing. The moral issues are something you need to dea with. :)

7. spider_darth

which means that effectively, i can transfer my license to another computer if my previous computer is not using Acronis anymore. and, it's legal.

so, what i'm interested to know is whether the old image i created using Acronis can be restored onto a computer which no longer runs Acronis? is this answer: no?

8. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

I have pointed this out to schieber at least twice in the last couple of months... but his ears are shut.

F.

9. aggronix

aggronix Registered Member

What means - if I make an image DVD of one computer an put it in my safe to have the posibility to restore this computer sometimes one license is bound to this particular computer because I have'nt stopped managing it whilst the dvd exists.

Therefore I need one licence for every computer for which I have dvds stored somewhere as long as the dvd exists. If I destroy one image I can use the license to make a new image of another computer.

It does not depend on how many (or even one) computer you have TI actually installed. As a matter of fact we have TI installed nowhere because we work only with those boot cds. However we need about 30 licenses.

This is not my position but the interpretation of the Acronis License Policy we got from the (german) pre sales team.

My position is that it's adequate for a company to buy an amount of licenses according to this interpretation. :isay: But for a private user Acronis should be fair and give users the admission to handle their home office with one licence. It's unrealistic to assume a private user would buy more than one licence for his 2 or 3 machines at home. (Be happy if they buy it instead of getting a key from any serialz server.) :ninja:

Suppliers of antivirus software demonstrate how that can work. At a stretch you might have the permission to use a product free of charge on your private computer if your are user of this product used in your company. :D (sophos antivirus as far as I remember).

aggronix.

10. Doug_B

Doug_B Registered Member

Seems straightforward to me and does not have any conditions associated with what is or is not installed on said PC. If you ever plan on making any (or any more) backups on a given PC or ever intend or invite the possibility to restore an ATI image to the given PC, then you are managing that PC using ATI, and thus you need a unique license for that PC. You can't juggle a license between PCs based on daily / weekly / monthly need, independent of whether or not ATI is installed on the PCs.

Doug

11. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

I don't see any confusion with the license. 1 license one machine.

And I agree with your point about "installation". The wording in the licence is about *use* not installation which is why it does still apply to the CD.

F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.