FDISR & ProcessGuard

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by ErikAlbert, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I have been playing with ProcessGuard again and the bottom line is that ProcessGuard must be DISABLED, before you copy/update a snapshot, even removal of a snapshot can cause errors.
    So my assumption is that you can work with ProcessGuard and FDISR, but you have to disable ProcessGuard during any FDISR-activity. But that is old news.

While the removal of a snapshot, with ProcessGuard=Enabled, caused real errors in the lower part of the processing screen, there is something very strange with copying a snapshot to a new snapshot, while ProcessGuard=Enabled.
    There were 3 errors after copying, but those errors where mentioned in the upper part and not in the lower part of the processing screen

According the Activity Log, these are the 3 errors
    Error #1
    07/28/2006 21:48:07 Error - DCF::SetFileAttributes: Access is denied. (followed by this line)
    07/28/2006 21:48:07 Windows error number 0x5

Error #2
    07/28/2006 21:48:27 Error - DCF::SetFileAttributes: Access is denied. (followed by this line)
    07/28/2006 21:48:27 Windows error number 0x5

Error #3
    07/28/2006 21:48:27 Error - DCF::SetFileAttributes: Access is denied. (followed by this line)
    07/28/2006 21:48:27 Windows error number 0x5

This is the last line of the Activity Log and this is also the message you get in the UPPER part of the processing screen, when the copy/update is finished.
    07/28/2006 21:48:54 Copied 3.03 Gb (27209 files, 2471 dirs); Errors 3; 00:06:30.797

However in the LOWER part of the processing screen it says : Errors=0

Why didn't the lower part displayed : Errors=3 ?

Are there two kind of messages : UPPER error messages and LOWER error messages ?
    And this has nothing to do with ProcessGuard, this is about FDISR.

2. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Erik,
    Here's my take; of course I could be wrong.

0x5 is "file Locked or Access Denied" error. I read somewhere that windows re-director flushes the contents of this file.

That's why you see it up top/processing screen (where it's happening) and not on the bottom since the copied/secondary snapshot never sees the flushed contents of the primary snapshot. I think it's more of a "windows issue" than a FD-ISR. If it were FD-ISR you would see some mention of it in one of the side tables "data added / data replaced / data removed"
    Check Event Viewer for Event ID:26

...screamer

3. ErikAlbert

You might be right. Of course these UPPER errors aren't striking and you don't expect to see errors there. The LOWER errors are striking, even when you don't read them, because FDISR will display an extra popup error message on top to warn you.

Another question. Whatever the reason may be, would you trust such a snapshot, with errors in the upper part and no errors in the lower part ?

For ProcessGuard & FDISR-users :
    These errors only occured when ProcessGuard was ENABLED.
    These errors didn't occur when ProcessGuard was DISABLED.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

When I had ProcessGuard on my system, I found you absolutely had to disable it or the "dat" files of ProcessGuard weren't copied and of course PG would be messed up in the destination snapshot.

Worse still I discovered even when I disabled PG i was seeing errors copying to Archives. Those didn't stop until I uninstalled PG. Once I realized that, it was bye bye PG. There are now better solutions to the job PG does then PG.

Pete

5. screamer

Normally I -think I might trust that situation. However since you have PG on your system, I certainly wouldn't trust the snapshot. I think the errors you are getting are unique. The types of errors I was getting W/ PG & FD-ISR are more reminicient to Petes. Therefore like Pete I canned PG Pronto!!

On my Laptop I get at least one error every night:
    "Wrong date or filesize" "C:\Windows\Debug\Passwd.log"
    The date always coresponds to todays date and filesize is 0kb
    Last night I got 4 errors. Something to do w/ "Wrong Attributes" I'm too lazy to go down and look at the Laptop. I'll post these later for a solution.

...screamer

6. ErikAlbert

For the record, I don't use ProcessGuard, I only installed it for one day to do tests, which is too short to get a complete picture of PG.
    When ProcessGuard was DISABLED, I didn't have any problems with creating new snapshots or removal of snapshots.
    I don't like ProcessGuard, so I wasn't planning to keep it.
    It was an opportunity for me to restore my system with ATI again, unfortunately the restoration was successfull.

I was more surprised by the UPPER errors, which I saw for the very first time.
    Now I have to look for errors at two places on the processing screen.

7. screamer

I know, you've made that crystal clear ;)

I'm suprised by the fact that you do not get the customary errors associated w/ ProcessGuardo_O
    I reveived errors whether or not ProcessGuard was enabled or disabled. Prehaps not as many when disabled, but none the less many more (and different) errors than you got.

8. ErikAlbert

Maybe I will get more errors like you, when I become a long time user of ProcessGuard. After all I used it just one day.
    Or my total system likes ProcessGuard more than yours. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.