NOD32 and Samsung Magictune freeze my PC

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by LV426, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LV426

LV426 Registered Member

I've been using latest NOD32 trial version without problems, however I recently bought a Samsung 970P LCD monitor, which has no physical controls (buttons) and all settings are performed through software, Samsung Magictune.

When this utility is running it works normally for less than a minute, and then my PC freezes EVERY time. The reason is NOD, with all of types of protection enabled (when i uninstall NOD no such problems occur).

As there is no alternative to Magictune and I really like NOD, is there a way to fix the problem?

Thanks

2. jim28277

jim28277 Registered Member

Are you using the latest version of magictunes (3.6 I think). I have been using magictunes and NOD32 along side each other for several months with no problems.

3. BJStone

BJStone Registered Member

I'm using the 173P and NOD32 without problems, but I use the DVI input.

4. LV426

LV426 Registered Member

It seems I've solved the problem, it was caused by IMON. I had to add all of Magictune .exe files to the IMON exclusion list, and freezes are gone.
    BTW, I'm using Magictune 3.6 and the DVI input.

5. BJStone

Great you solved it.! Thanks for the heads up.
    BTW: I don't have Magic Tune installed, don't need it. YMMV.

6. alglove

alglove Registered Member

The IMON exclusion list or the AMON exclusion list? I would have expected AMON. o_O

7. LV426

LV426 Registered Member

I was also surprised, but it is IMON. It took me quite some time to figure it out, but when I disabled it for the first time, the freezes were gone. With AMON enabled there were no problems.

8. mikkl

mikkl Guest

Is Magictune trying to phone home when you load it? That may be why IMON picks it up. In which case I would be either checking to see where it is connecting or setting my firewall to prevent the contact.

mikkl

9. bogd

bogd Registered Member

I've been having the same problem as the original poster (BTW - thank you for giving me a hint about the cause of the problem!) I will try adding the executables to the exception list, and I hope that will solve the issue.

@mikkl: According to my firewall, there was no attempt from MagicTune to connect to the Internet.

@BJStone: you said that you don't use MagicTune. May I ask what you use instead? Does anyone else here know of a potential alternative to MagicTune? (my monitor -Samsung 960BF- does not have any manual controls whatsoever, so I'm forced to use their utility)

Thank you,

10. bogd

bogd Registered Member

Here is a pretty good description of the issue, and why it is happening: http://www.geocities.com/icecow88/magictune.html . It seems that MagicTune tries to report to the server configured in AssetID (and since I have no server configured, that is probably why my firewall ignores it).

11. BJStone

I use the DVI input on the monitor attached to the DVI-output of the graphics card.The driver I use is from the supplied cd.No magicTune or Natural Color installed, the driver only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.