Zorin OS 12 Beta - Flat white, no sugar

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I've written a review of Zorin OS 12 beta 64-bit version, a Ubuntu-based distribution with a customized Gnome 3 desktop, tested on a laptop with UEFI, Secure Boot, GPT, 16 partitions, and a multi-boot setup with Linux and Windows, covering live session, installation, and post-install use, including look & feel, networking - Wireless, Bluetooth, Samba printing and sharing, multimedia support - MP3 and HD video, smartphone support - iPhone, Ubuntu Phone and Windows Phone, partitioning, software management and updates, applications, webcam, resource utilization, performance, responsiveness, hardware compatibility, suspend & resume, battery usage, many problems and glitches like display issues, Skype microphone issues, Rhythmbox regressions, broken search, and more. Enjoy.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/zorin-os-12.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

It looks like a data mining distro.

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I tested Lightning Linux with its customized GNOME Classic environment. Liked it enough to keep it, based on Ubuntu LTS after all. Looks Windowsy enough for newbies.

OpenSUSE offers only GNOME Shell. It gets to be like a desktop with three extensions - a Launch button replacing Activities, exposing the overview menu for immediate use, an Applications button with a more conventional GNOME menu and of course the Dash to Dock application that turns Favorites in the Dash into a convenient dock launcher.

Regressions do suck but GNOME Shell is a tameable beast nowadays.

4. taytong888

taytong888 Registered Member

Mrk,

Could you give us a tutorial on GPT-based, 10+ partition multiboot system?

How do I convert an existing MBR system into a GPT one?

My MBR-based Win-Linux system cannot go beyond 6 partitions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.