ZoneAlarm vs. ESS Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by lep, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lep

lep Registered Member

Does ESS firewall provide the *same* features as ZA? What about port scans?
    Are you watching all the ports and problems that P2P programs can invoke?

2. appster

appster Registered Member

Compared to ESS' firewall, imho ZA is more mature (and more user-friendly). ZA also provides better outbound control (if that's important to you).

3. Aug

Aug Registered Member

Agreed, ZA ( the paid version) will access a list of known programs so that it doesn't bug you with outbound traffic. On the downside, there is no x64 bit support and in the case of Vista x86, the OS boot time is terribly slow and really not much better in XP. btw, these are from absolute clean images that have never had any form of anti-malware solutions installed before. I really like Outpost 2008 and its program control, but it and NOD32 3.0 do not co-exist well right now. This is a Vista statement as I haven't tried the 2 in XP

4. lep

lep Registered Member

Aug & Appster, are you guys saying that I should re-install ZA? (I uninstalled it).

Maybe ESS will compliment ZA?

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Since ESET has released a firewall with their software, questions about other firewalls or comparisons should go here in the other firewalls forum.

Specific support questions about the ESS firewall can remain in the ESS forum.

6. lep

lep Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion - I actually roomed in college with a cousin of Taunto who was a college hockey player from Six Nations. He said Taunto was a LaCrosse player that actually got a part in the series when he was stopping through LA for a game?

Cheers, L

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Interesting. :)

8. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

ZA firewall was over complicated for me; kept adding components to the firewall list that didn't need inernet access, despite them being turned off.l

9. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I use Zone Alarm & besides the fact that it takes more time to boot there is little difference in performance & it offers far more control than most firewalls. It is a very mature product . ESS works fine but I would not pay for ESS if I had a license for ZA which might be a better firewall. I will leave that for the experts to decide however. If you want a nice free solution that works much like ESS or ZA try PC tools firewall. Very nice firewall & free

10. warlord2000ad

warlord2000ad Registered Member

I've got zone alarm and was wondering the same question. By what responses I've seen here i think ill stick with zone alarm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.