ZoneAlarm Security Suite start up delay - why?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by PhoenixWeb, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhoenixWeb

PhoenixWeb Registered Member

I am trialling the new ZoneAlarm Security Suite. Like others I have noticed a big delay in the start up time of my system.

Does anyone know what causes this?

Also I don't really need everything in the security suite, and I could make do with the ZoneAlarm with antivirus option instead. Is the ZoneAlarm with antivirus also likely to suffer from delayed start up problems too, or is this one generally better?

2. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

yup! its mainly because of huge memory consumption by a process called"scanningprocess.exe"....
    It has two instances running at start-up alongside vsmon.exe which takes arounf 58,000k of memory and thus cause delay...
    This "scanningprocess.exe" is a process used by zonealarm's av component and hence za with antivirus will also cause delays...

3. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

This might be the startup scan that KAV(the AV that ZA uses) usually does, by default. I know you can turn it off in the actually Kasperky version of KAV, but I dunno what options are available in ZA's version of it.

4. Legendkiller

maybe...but i m sure there's no option to disable/enable start-up scan in zonealarm

5. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I tried both ZASS and ZoneAlarm with antivirus, and they both caused a delay in start up time on my PC. It could be the antivirus portion, but I think it has to do with the ZA firewall. I've run ZA free, and it causes a slight delay in start up time compared to other software firewalls I've tried.

6. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Kasperky's start-up scan is very thorough but very sloooooooow! It's almost certainly the cause of the delay. If you have the option to disable it (and I mean specifically disabling the scan of start-up objects - not disabling realtime protection itself), you should be able to confirm this.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It might be both KAV scan plus ZA firewall loading!

8. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I can only offer 3 points:

1) I use ZA Pro 7 and the start up delay is minimal, removal os SS 5.3 helped as well!
    2) Pro's vsmon.exe takes 24,308K RAM 35,832 K Maximum memory
    3) ZA Vista compatibility is delayed ETA Unknown! Here is a partial post from their own forum:

"The Forum Moderators have indicated that there was a print error and some mistaken information in internet articles about the ZA Vista product releases.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=inst&message.id=62792

There are no current ZA products that support Vista but there are Vista products in the works. There is no ETA on those Vista compatible ZA product releases until it is announced by Checkpoint on the main ZA web site."

9. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Theres only one sure fire way to get rid of this Delay for good, and thats to do the following:

1: Uninstall any ZoneAlarm Product from 6.5 Upwards
    2: Download and install an earlier version (6.1 is a good choice)
    3: After you have configured the earlier version to your liking, go to Zone Alarm website,and Download the trial for version 7, and install it over the 6.1,and when it asks you if you want to upgrade or clean install, choose upgrade
    4: Reboot as normal, and you will see a huge increase in startup speed :D

This is beacause of the Architexture of 6.5 and upwards slowed things down dramatically, but upgrading from 6.1 or earlier bypasses the delay.

I guarentee this will worl 100% I have had the same problem myself,and I followed this proceedure myself,and the startup speed was normal again :shifty:

11. Legendkiller

u mean to say that we should upgrade from version:6.1 to 7.xxxx for it to work....

12. Escalader

Hi DVD+R, Legendkiller, Topperid:

What do the gurus at the ZA user forum say about this? When I link it is blocked!

I guess they don't like my questions anymore!
    But one of you guys might be able to probe there? for the benefit of all!

I use ZA Pro which doesn't have this loading time issue. But then again I only use it as a firewall (for now)

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

The best remedy for your slow down is to do a clean uninstall, install NOD32 AV and Comodo free firewall, and eliminate the problem for good. The only way to attempt to solve problems with ZA is to disable features or revert to the ver.6.1 and tweek from there.

14. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

If you want to get rid of the slow startup times yes, its the only way it will work, as I say, I had the same problem,untill I went back to 6.1 then got curious as to what would happen when I upgraded from 6.1, and the Answer was, Normal Startup times again :)

15. henryg

henryg Registered Member

Of course not. If it is a legitimate issue and they do not want to acknowledge it, they will then quickly delete the entire thread…. Most of the time without any explanation. This was also my experience there as well....I've tried asking the same question myself.

16. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I installed the suite onto a VM.

ZA used to connect out to a number of addresses after an internet connection was made. It is now connecting out while (on XP) the blue "Welcome" screen is up, which is causing a delay. If there is no internet access available there is a wait while many DNS lookups are attempted. If internet access is available then a connection to cm2.zonelabs.com is made on HTTPS. The OS then continues to load.

I am also seeing an error in the system logs for "Kl1 service failed to start"

17. Legendkiller

thanks to dvd+r,the start-up slowness is gone...but i think its too much of an effort to get a security suite working...and i find myself losing confidence in check point by every passing day..

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Legendkiller -My sentements exactly. If any company puts together an app and offers it to the public for sale or free, you should be able to install it, learn how it works from the help menu and use it as advertized. There's positively no excuse for a company to release version after version to subscribers who are then forced to outwit the software to make it work. (if they can) Look at the replies in this thread alone. In order to get ver. 7 to load correctly you have to revert to ver.6.1 and then upgrade to 7.0. The thing that amazes me is that there are still loyal subscibers who will put themselves through this just to continue to use their ZA. There's stuff out there just as good with no bugs.

19. PhoenixWeb

PhoenixWeb Registered Member

Since starting this thread, I for one (see signature) have since ditched the ZoneAlarm Security Suite due to this start up issue.

It's a shame really because I believe that fixing this issue would make the ZoneAlarm Security Suite one of the best around, together with Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0.

Oh well, maybe they'll fix the issue in the near future...

20. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Seems to have done the trick on the Wifes PC. Thanks much. :thumb:

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Off topic post removed. Let's stay focused on thread topics and avoid attacking each other.

22. Escalader

Thanks, Ron!

23. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Glad to have helped Legendkiller & ThunderZ but Yes! it really is a problem that Check Point should address, if they at all care :ninja:

24. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

It really did the trick for me too.
    DVD are you a ZoneAlarm wizzard? I'm having soem other problems as well maybe you can help?
    Can't find serious solution on their forum.
    1. Hourly update is not always working
    2. Can't get Mailfrontier working on my Outlook 2007( it should be)

25. WraithTDK

WraithTDK Registered Member

This solution is all well and good (well, actually it's incredibly frustrating that we should have to do that instead of just installing it and having it work right, but I digress), but it begs the question "where can I download ZA ISS 6.1?"

I'll tell you what would be nice, if ZA would offer a custom install with the ISS like most other products offer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.