Zonealarm problems

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by purpledragon, Aug 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. purpledragon

purpledragon Registered Member

I have recently tried installing the free firewall from zone alarm on my dads pc, running xp sp2. Once installed, the internet connection coneects, but no pages will open on IE. I have a feeling that there is something easy causing this problem, but we couldnt work out what.

I had to uninstall it to get the connection working again. Now he only has the microsoft security centre firewall.

can someone offer some ideas?

thanks
    stan

2. purpledragon

3. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

You can look in your ZA Firewall-Zones and see if your network has access or being blocked. Also look in IE`s internet connections to see if they are OK. That`s all I can suggest right now. Someone else should be around soon.

4. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

Hi Stan

As Beetlejuice suggests I think Zone Alarm may have changed your internet connection settings. Make a note of your setting then reinstall and see if they have been changed. (If you reinstall make sure you turn off the Microsoft Firewall)

Tex

5. purpledragon

the thing is, it connects to the net fine, it just wont display any web pages. All the connections seem to stay the same. o_Oo_Oo_O?

6. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

If you open up Program Control on the Zone Alarm main page You have a choice of 3 options MAIN...PROGRAMS...COMPONENTS. open Programs and you will be able to check that Internet Explorer is ticked under the Access-Trusted-Internet section.
    If you open MAIN you will be able to set the firewall to off - Low - Medium or high security
    If you open Firewall on main page you can switch Internet and trusted zones from off to high security.

I suggest you switch all off and then try different settings to see when the problem arises.

Hope this helps
    Tex

7. JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld Registered Member

Just for clarity: ZA free (which Purpledragon referred to) has just the two tabs in Program control, main and programs. Also, on program control main tab, the High option is not available in ZA free.

8. toploader

toploader Registered Member

having just installed it i found it appeared to have locked access to the internet as a default (without telling you) -in my case it would not allow me to connect at all?
    i switched the lock off

9. New User

New User Guest

My wife and I had the same problem. We have a Dell Dimension 2300 and runnning Windows XP. Tried to open IE and got a blank page. After about three hours, I did a SYSTEM RESTORE. Once that was done, I uninstalled ZA, deleted all files referencing ZA, and evem went into REGEDIT and removed any reference to it there. Rebooted and our machine runs absolutely perfect. I wil not be loading it agina. I will use the Fire Wall I have now until I can find one better. What a NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. rawr

rawr Registered Member

Yet another ZoneAlarm problem..what a surprise. :D Ditch ZoneAlarm and try Filseclab's Firewall.

http://www.filseclab.com/eng/

..it's free and its GUI is simple..just like ZoneAlarm. :D

11. Tyreman

Tyreman Registered Member

Well you once uninstall get it all out remove all parts in registry to. :D
    http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646/CompleteUninstallNonNT.html
    read the article and make special note of the files,dlls to search for and remove them,have show hidden files and files with extension to show first.
    delete all those, empty the recylce bin.
    http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm Reg Seeker free
    when done manually just check...
    in RegSeeker run the clean the registry see if any za in there, then look in histories old start menu items.
    :D

12. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Before trying to access the net open ZA program control and remove generic host process and IE.Now connect to the net and when prompted reallow IE and generic host process to connect.May help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.