ZoneAlarm Pro Toolbar Problem

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by oma53, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oma53

oma53 Registered Member

Hello,
    Below is an email that I am trying to get to the Zonealarm forum, but I am unable to post it there and I am getting a little frustrated with trying to fix this toolbar issue, so I thought I would post it here to see if anyone might have an idea.

Hello,
    I have installed version 10.0.240.000 of ZA Pro and I cannot install without the toolbar.

History to date:

1st attempt at install
    Download new version
    Uncheck “load at startup”
    Restart system
    Uninstalled Zonealarm and restarted system
    Ran CCleaner
    Defrag system
    Install new version and uncheck “Install Zonealarm Security Toolbar” ( the two others were unchecked)
    Next screen shows at the bottom “Installing Zonealarm Security Toolbar”

After the install I confirmed that the toolbar is installed in Firefox and IE.

2nd attempt at install
    Download new version again (just to be sure it’s not corrupted)
    Download the clean up tool (current one, “clean.exe”)
    Uncheck “load at startup”
    Restart system
    Uninstalled Zonealarm and restarted system
    Ran “clean.exe” and restarted system
    Ran CCleaner
    Defrag system
    Searched system for “Zonealarm” and “Checkpoint” folders and removed them
    Searched registry for “Zonealarm” and “Checkpoint” and removed if it pertained to this install
    Install new version and uncheck “Install Zonealarm Security Toolbar”
    Next screen shows at the bottom “Installing Zonealarm Security Toolbar”

After the install I again confirmed that the toolbar is installed in Firefox and IE.

3rd attempt at install
    Basically the same as the second attempt except for the following.
    I checked all three boxes for the toolbar and unchecked them.
    After the install I again confirmed that the toolbar is installed in Firefox and IE.

4th attempt at install
    Basically the same as the second attempt except for the following.
    I checked all three boxes for the toolbar and left them checked just to see what would happen.

5th attempt at install
    The same as the second attempt except for the following.
    I made sure there was no mention of the toolbar in Firefox and IE before I tried to reinstall.

OK, at this point I assumed there was something I did wrong and talked a friend into installing Pro onto his system and he got the same results. On his system and mine there is no way to uninstall the toolbar except to uninstall the whole program.

I have contacted tech support and after telling them my history, then stated the fix is to uninstall and reinstall again.

Any ideas would be appreciated as this is starting to get a little aggravating.

Thank you.

ZoneAlarm version: 10.0.240.000
    vsmon version: 10.0.240.000
    Driver version: 10.0.240.000
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.310.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.5.310.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database: 1.2.104.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database: 04.155

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      64.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      68.7 KB
      Views:
  2. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

3. oma53

oma53 Registered Member

I just received a reply from the ZoneAlarm forum.

“”This is a known bug. Its is created and reproduced when your installing and the install fails or the install is stopped for some reason.
    Then subsequent installs will not honor the option of the toolbar not being installed.
    No eta when this will get fixed.
    So you will just have to use the toolbar for now.””

Wished I would of know that after all those attempts…….

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Is that "toolbar" one powered by ask.com? It's hard to believe why a paid security product would come bundled with adware, but that's checkpoint for you. Maybe you can completely uninstall ZoneAlarm and try a fresh install? I would imagine you would need to use some special registry cleaner as I have heard ZA does not uninstall cleanly. But if you ever got all that off your computer it would be a good time to just try a different firewall altogether. Hopefully you did not waste any money on that ZA software.

5. fax

fax Registered Member

No, its not ask.com, no adware or spyware included.
    May be its good to check before jumping to fast conclusions. :)

The only way to fix the issue is to go back to a restore point before any installation of ZA 10 even betas (this works on WIN7 not sure in XP) or re-imagining with a previous backup (if you have it) or wait for the next bug fix build as suggested by ZA directly.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

so ZA switched from ask to conduit?

7. fax

fax Registered Member

8. oma53

oma53 Registered Member

acr1965,
    Thank you for your reply, but I feel I need to defend ZA.

“Hopefully you did not waste any money on that ZA software.”

I use a CAD program that requires me to open certain ports for conferencing. Approx 5 years ago I was faced with trying to find a software firewall that would allow a novice to configure for this. I do not remember what firewalls I tried, but ZA was the only one at that time I could get to work.

Yes, I did pay for the program. ZA did finally tell me how to get rid of the toolbar, but this was after everything that I did above and a few more calls to tech support. The new version is running well on my system and now that the toolbar is gone, I have no complaints.
    I wish toolbars would be banned but the reality is that it seems that a lot of companies are going this route. If this toolbar is “pushed” any more than it currently is, I will definitely be checking out other firewalls, but for now I am satisfied with ZA.

Please understand that I am not trying to start an argument, but I am just defending a product that has been a good choice for my system and has overall worked well for me all these years.
    Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.