Zonealarm Pro Beta 6.0.591.002....

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by dja2k, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I found another bug in this beta. I have a built in cmi audio card and to access the controls via control panel or startup, it has to run a .dll file that gives you the screen for settings though the zonealarm pro beta blocks it and there is no way to add it to the list because it only allows exe files. I also noticed a high MB usage of VSMON using shareaza as high as 20 MB, never saw it that high with version 5.5.

dja2k

Last edited: Jun 19, 2005
  2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I also noticed vsmon running high (around 20mb) with just normal usage, no p2p.

3. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Have you noticed any other problems besides the crazy pop-ups?

dja2k

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

No, not really, but I only ran it for a short time. If there are new betas out, I may try them again. I only tried 6.0.591.000 so far.

5. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

So what were you using before? If you were using za 5.5, how did you go by uninstalling and backwarding to 5.5?

What does everyone else think of this new version of zonealarm - Promising or not? Do you think it is more stable and the extra features are worth the upgrade from 5.5? Do people like us that use Kaspersky AV, ProcessGuard, and Regdefend need the extra features?

dja2k

Last edited: Jun 19, 2005
  6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Prior to ZAP 6 I was using CHX-I. I also use ZAP from time to time too, sometimes 5.5 and sometimes Plus 4.0. I change things frequently here.

My take on the new features is that they're fine as long as you can turn them all off if desired. But overall, I am a little afraid that they're just introducing even more bloat to ZAP that ever before. I think the higher memory usage is just one more negative. Up to this point, ZAP has been reasonable on memory use, but now it's getting up there with Kerio 4 and others.

My hope is that 6 will turn out ok and ZAP will still be a good firewall, but I am far from confident about that at this point..

7. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Just installed .002, running like a pig compared to 5.5. and the first beta .000. Looks like ZA took 1 step forward and 2 back.

Good news is that it seems to be much quieter than .000.

8. Alec

Alec Registered Member

I'm not running the 6.0.x ZA Beta, but does the new code continuously update that crazy "tvDebug.log" file?? Man I wish Zone Labs would get rid of that. Anyone know of a way to disable that constant log writing? I've been told that it is simply for diagnostic purposes in case you have troubles, but if so: 1) why does it continually grow to unreasonable sizes, and 2) why isn't there any easy way to disable it if you aren't experiencing any troubles? Anyone know the real scoop on tvDebug.log and ZA?

9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.