Zonealarm Pro and Outpost Free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by cet, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

I am using the ZAP which I got from a promotion a few months ago.I do not have a network at home I am the only user of my PC.I am thinking to uninstall ZAP and install Outpost free.The only reason is that the ZAP uses too many resources.Is it safe to do this ? ZAP has many features but I am only using the firewall.I do not have any rules,it is set by default.
    I know that Outpost free scores more on Matousec,but since I only use the firewalls with (nearly) the default configuration If I uninstall ZAP does that mean I loosen my security?
    Advices Please.

2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Forget about Matousec.

If you want to harden your security via these FW's it is possible to do it. BUT you will need to move away from default rules in both products. You may not have seen or made FW rules in ZA Pro but believe me they are there.

There are many threads here at Wilder's including stickies on FW rules and on these specific products. Browse through them.

If you replace ZAP with another FW you don't loosen security necessarily, it would mean you replaced one set of default outof the box settings with another. But if you paid for ZAP why change at this point? Given you aren't into hardening rules.

Good luck

3. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I would have to say that OPF will serve you better. It runs considerably lighter, and has better built-in HIPS (Host Protection in OPF). You may run into a small learning curve as far as setting up rules goes, but nothing mind numbing! I would recommend that you push the host protection to 'Advanced', and carefully respond to the prompts. Avira Free and SAS Pro will run great with it. I set it up on my wife's machine with similar anti-malware that you're running, and all has been well for days.

4. vizhip

vizhip Registered Member

I found ZA to be a bit more of a pain and not functioning as well as I expected to after the company was purchased... okies... a couple releases later... so... I deinstalled ZA and moved on... and yes, I added a few rules and modified some of the rules they had in place...

While I prefer Online Armor, I don't think you will go wrong with Outpost... but then... that is just my opinion and not necessarily one that you will want to listen to... )))

Regards -
    -Bob

5. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

ZA Pro or Outpost Free? why not Outpost Pro
    by far a better choice, if funds are a problem
    then OP free for sure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.