Zonealarm IS 7.0

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jodu, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

Zonealarm security suite involves six processes which can be seen in this screenshot. I have turned off antispam so that does not include mantispm.exe.
    zone4.JPG

2. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

ashishtx

Can you see if the 'Scan System Memory' scan option keeps disabling itself?.

3. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

Yes scan system memory keeps on disabling itself.

4. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

Guys,

Please remember to send any feedback and bug reports to the development team by using the beta feedback form:
    http://www.zonelabs.com/betafeedback

The developers from Zone Labs don't read any forum comments posted here at Wilders, ZL Official forum etc. So if you want to be heard and have the beta improved then do it using the form. The beta is planned to run fror about 6-8 weeks so there is plenty of time to get suggestions added and bugs fixed.

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

It's sure heavy compared to KAV. Of course, it adds a firewall but still...46000k? :(

It screwed up XP files when installing. I got a Windows File Protection popup after it installed and had to insert my XP Pro SP1 CD to have the files fixed. That is not cool!

There is a noticable delay when accessing explorer but I haven't seen other lags. I've only had it a few hours...installed on a virtual machine.

Hmmm...Auto update is NOT working. I had to do a manual update after waiting two and one half hours for KAV update. KAV on my main machine updated at 2:26PM and still no update on the machine that has ZA at 4:02PM until I manually updated. The last update on ZA had been at 1:31PM (after I installed it and updated manually) so it should have picked up the 2:26PM update and did not.

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

With this combo minus the bugs of course, I'll be great! :D

7. unhappy_viewer

Make sure you prepare your system before using the beta by fo0llowing the instructions at the top of the beta page. Don't just straight away install ZASS 7.0. Remember to follow step two if you experience high CPU usage or if things hang (make sure pslist is installed beofre using the beta):
    Don't expect AV updates to come out at exactly the same time as Kaspersky's. It takes some time for Kaspersky's update servers to synchronise with ZL's update servers and send new signature definitions to ZL's servers.

8. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

so is this kaspersky 6.0 cause i know that za used ca vets older engine than the standard version that ca was using

9. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

like people have said b4,i am also a little un-happy with the lack of features in the AV section..
    It seems,we only have the best detection rates with us..

10. unhappy_viewer

I guess if you compare it to KAV 6.0, what you get is File AV and Mail AV. ZA does not need Proactive Defence since it has OSFirewall which does the same thing as Proactive Defence. Web AV is not really an essential feature, you'd still be well protected by file AV. In the end, you have only lost one non-essential feature and still get the great protection of KAV.

11. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

Thats pretty ok with me,i also consider ZA's OS firewall much better than kaspersky's one.(maybe not on performance,but on effective protection+ease of use)

As for,lack of features,i said i was dis-appointed coz i thought it will have more customizable features of kaspersky.like scan new&changed files only,shut-down after scan and many others...

Otherwise,i have said it b4,i think this will be the best suite on release..

12. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Kinda WHITE! Looking isnt it, could need to use shades to use this suite :cool: what happened to the colour scheme on the Interface ? is it going to stay all white like this? cause it looks crap if it is :gack:

13. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I´m only interested in the Pro version, but since it´s using the same firewall I decided to take a look and yes they really should not have changed the GUI (skin), either rebuild the GUI completely or don´t do anything at all. I hope they will reconsider this. Other than this, there is not much new for me, I´ve read that they have improved the HIPS but I have no interest in it. :rolleyes:

14. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

It only updates automatically once every 24 hours not every hour.

15. fax

fax Registered Member

Hi!

it is set to update every 2 hours... at least its what it does here...

Cheers,
    Fax

16. fax

fax Registered Member

uhm, I couldn't download the eicar.com at http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm ZASS popped and quarantined it:blink: . And, yes, you are able to download the zip but not to extract the file...

You mean it will not scan *.exe's??

Cheers,
    Fax

17. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

I must say the suite works fine for me.
    Have been beta testing ever since the beginning but it "feels"very fast and very secure.

18. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

But don't you feel, say compared to KIS 6, that the Antivirus & Antispyware section is really lacking as far as features/options go?.

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

just because the settings aint there, doesnt mean it wont perform the same.

i dont like the GUI of it... looks the same as version 6, but now its all WHITE, hope this all changes in the final.

20. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

You are 'Incorrect'.

It has been proven that the higher frequency you have Kaspersky set to 'Auto Update', the more updates you will receive. This setting to change 'update frequency' is not available in this beta.
    Secondly, for users that prefer to scan their systems daily or many times per week, they will not benefit from the 'scan new and changed files only' setting. Therefore, each scan will taken 1-2 or more hours to complete instead of 10-30 minutes. So performance wise, it is 'Not' the same!.

21. unhappy_viewer

There has to be a certain level of trust between people. ZL wants ZA to be user-friendly and not contain a whole slew of settings that may make it more confusing for the average guy on the street. So ZL trusts Kaspersky's word that the default settings provides the best balance of protection and performance.

I don't see the need to have your system being scanned daily or a few times a week. Not unless you visit a whole bunch of malicious sites every day and download you know what, which you really should not. Either that or you have some psychological problem. For that you'd need to see a psychiatrist. :) Once a week of manual is more than enough, sensible use of computers and you need to trust your AV (Kaspersky or any others) that they will protect your computer in the same you'd trust your local police to protect you.

22. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

Anyway ZASS doesnt have that feature. (KAV/KIS Scan new and changed files) This feature also applies for File-AV (Real-time Virus detection).

23. ink

ink Registered Member

I think the "scan new and changed files only" is the default settings although you can't configurate it.

24. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

No, it is impossible to ZASS to have that, since that options used the two technologies developed by KLabs, iSwift and iChecker, and AFAIK ZASS doesnt include that.

25. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

It is included as part of the Kaspersky OEM integration suite and if someone chooses to use it, it can indeed be used on KAV clones. I believe eScan (commercial edition) uses the iChecker technology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.