Zonealarm free firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by The Red Moon, Mar 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itman

itman Registered Member

Where did you download from? The Zonealarm web site?

I find it hard to beleive our CNet commenter would actually download something from Cnet download.com? But since his posting was on the CNet web site, I have to assume he is totally clueless as to CNet inserting their own download wrappers around software they are hosting. I beleive that is how the vendors are getting around the forced scumware install issues. This way CNet takes the heat and gets a nice kickback from the software vendor.

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, I downloaded the most recent build from the Zonealarm web site because Fax provided a link in this thread. Typically I'll DL installers from Majorgeeks and Softpedia, neither of which add their own wrapper - I avoid Cnet precisely because they do.

3. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Well what browser you use? Check your pc for hidden toolbar from zone alarm. I suggest you use a program like freefixer and others and search the registry and pc for zonealarm extras even-though you opted out. You will be surprised.

Also try and uninstall and then check for traces and left-overs and you will be surprised.

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Oh well I thought when you said "the people at CNet" you meant an official review or whatever that CNet had done on the product (they usually don't mention anything about what may come together with the download afaik). But if the info comes from a user in the comments section then it makes more sense :)

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I have checked my browsers and am certain there are no hidden toolbars.

6. zip

zip Registered Member

I got my copy of ZA from filehippo

7. rrrh1

rrrh1 Registered Member

Zip

That one is the older one with the force field components that causes problems wit my machine.

*** ZoneAlarm Free 11.0.000.504 ***

The current version is only available via the web down-loader...

--hxxp://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-pc-security-free-firewall.htm--

--zafwSetupWeb.exe-- is the proper file for only the firewall.

ZoneAlarm has released to all users of Paid and Free products 11.0.768.000

What has changed:

New: Updated AV Engine.

New: Web scanner - blocks web threats before they reach your browser or hard drive.

New: Forcefield removed, replaced with new and improved Site Check technology and security toolbar.

New: Latest version of Firefox is supported.

Improved: Stability and performance enhancements.

From their website...

rrrh1 (arch1)

8. rrrh1

rrrh1 Registered Member

File Hippo now has the 11.0.768.000 version...
    --http://filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/--

It's much smaller !!

File size: 38.21MB (40,062,152 bytes)

Must have really cut something out.

rrrh1 (arch1)

9. fax

fax Registered Member

Always download directly from ZA, under the support section of the ZA website you will find a KB with links to full size installers. :)

Looking for the latest version?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  10. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

hey, thanks fax for the page.

11. fax

fax Registered Member

You're welcome! :thumb:

12. itman

itman Registered Member

Finally got around to trying ZA free.

Have an issue with SMTP port 25. Both Shields Up and PCFlack show that this post is closed but not stealth. Both firewall settings are set to "max."

Anyone know how to stealth this port? Also can you access expert firewall rule settings in this free version?

13. fax

fax Registered Member

Assuming your ZA is facing directly the internet and not something else then you need to identify which software is keeping your port 25 busy. An e-mail client should not do that normally unless you checked your ports while having your e-mail client active. Once identified you can try to block the "inbound Internet" (ZA application control).

Trusted Zone should be set to MEDIUM not high. While in the ZA firewall zones you can decide how to setup your network (trusted or public). If you are facing the internet you should set it as "public".

No, Sorry. Only paid line offer program/firewall expert rules.

14. itman

itman Registered Member

Never had an issue on this WIN 7 x64 box with SMTP on any 3rd party or the WIN 7 firewall prior to this.

Also I see a connection for system TCP port 1234 listening. That sure doesn't look right to me?

15. fax

fax Registered Member

No idea sorry, I guess ZA is not good for your system. :)

16. itman

itman Registered Member

I am somewhat confident that the TCP port 1234 connection was a backdoor ZA Free installed.

Tried to uninstall this piece of dung and that was a disaster.

This garbage is off my PC. I restored using an image I created prior to installing ZA.

17. fax

fax Registered Member

Lol... I heard this before .... :D
    ZA is listening to all of your connection, it's a firewall. It does not need to listen to localhost for spying on you.
    But don't worry with your magic thin foil you will be safe.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  18. itman

itman Registered Member

Nope - no tin foil hat(not thin!) here. Just many years of professional IT experience.

Info on TCP port 1234: http://www.auditmypc.com/tcp-port-1234.asp.

I have never previously seen a connection to port 1234. The fact that it was system that was listening makes it that much worse. Again this software is garbarge.

19. fax

fax Registered Member

Itman as already said about your paranoia on Trusteer unless you come up with some hard evidence about software spying on you without a good reason... you are just another supposedly clever ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ trying to discrete it a reputable company without any proof.

Companies invest money and resources on developing software and if you are really serious professional as you say you are the last thing you would do is to come here posting this kind of BS. ;)

Unfortunately not all users can filter BS from reality and a simple post like this can make a lot of damage without any reason.

Oh well, I must be used to this. Every one or two years I see this nonsense posted here about ZA and every single time no proof is provided (unless we go back to a bug around 7 years ago). As usual I am forced to leave this thread and refrain from posting just not to fuel the trolling. Sad but true.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2013
  20. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

@ itman

Why don´t you just tell ZA to stop listening to port 1243? :D

I really don´t know what to think of it, I´ve also read in the past that ZA is spying on us, but I never noticed anything strange on my system.

21. itman

itman Registered Member

No way to access expert firewall rules in the free version. Also it's port 1234.

22. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

well their AV sucks but the firewall is good, not good enough but just good.
    It used to be better but ZoneAlarm firewall has lost it, it doesnt protect you as well as Before.

This new version - latest version does not include strong HIPS

I am using Zone free without AV.

23. SweX

SweX Registered Member

You don't want Kaspersky for free? :D

24. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

it has a behavior based HIPS, so it doesn't ask you about every process (unlike a classic/full HIPS), but will stop and ask about processes that behave suspiciously like trying to modify the boot menu. personally i think this is a strength since I get fewer pop-ups (and I assume the processes it doesn't ask about are harmless), but of course if it fails to stop something malicious then i'll change my mind.

25. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

I am not a beliver in russian product's - so no thanks :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.