Zonealarm free firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by The Red Moon, Mar 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Does this firewall have any nagware at all.Some say it does and some say it doesnt with no clear conclusion being made.
    Is it light on resources and easy for a novice.

Thanks.

2. fax

fax Registered Member

As for any other software for some user it's light for some others is not. You want to know exactly how is for you? Rather than asking to others you need to try it yourself. As its behavior will depend on the specific configuration of your system.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=341034

3. The Red Moon

Thank you fax.I intend doing so as its the only firewall i have not experimented with yet,

4. The Red Moon

@fax.

I have just read that thread again and there is still mixed opinions as to whether it contains ads and nags or not.
    At this point in time im not too certain as to whether i want to try the free firewall or not.
    I do not want to be ambushed by an army of advertisement armed nagware warriors thank you.

5. fax

fax Registered Member

If you are not convinced don't try it! There is nothing worst than doubting on a security tool to be installed on your system and start twicking here and there to block it. If you don't trust, stay away form it ;)

6. The Red Moon

Your reply is not very forthcoming with an answer.In your own experience does it contain nags or not..?

Thanks

7. fax

fax Registered Member

You got already several quotes above and if you still doubt about it then you are unlikely to be convinced anytime soon. :D
    If you are happy with what you have no need to change. I am only using retail products, no free one. So, can't help.

8. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

I find this firewall to be quite sufficient. However, the new version will not let you install it without making you change your start page and search engine. Because of this I have gone back to Comodo 5.12.

9. The Red Moon

I notice the download size for the free firewall is 102mb.!.I take it this is downloading the antivirus with it.?
    I think i will pass on this and stick with comodo.

10. zip

zip Registered Member

I'm ok with Za Free fw.

Privatefirewall slowed my boot up down.

Oa was a disaster.

Comodo is something I want to forget.

Za is the only choice, for now.

11. The Red Moon

Okay but is there any ad or nagware.?

12. zip

zip Registered Member

No, there is none.

13. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

There seems to be some ads here or there. I always look on them as the price for free soft ware. The software does seem to use a few resources but if you have good memory it doesn't matter. Yes you do need to allow Zone Alarm to try to change your home page. but if you use Firefox you can disable the add on easily. That being said it seems to work well is well designed. On my computer it works perfectly Windows 7 64bit. There are few adjustments to be made by the user but for the most part its just fine. If you install the free firewall you can add the AV by clicking a button its almost easier than trying to get the web installer for the free suite.

14. zip

zip Registered Member

There is a screen that asks I if you need help with Za.

15. fax

fax Registered Member

do you actually read responses to your posts or just post incorrect information and run away? Lol o_O

You CAN SKIP ALL AT install. THEY DO NOT FORCE YOU TO CHANGE.

May be shouting is the way to go. :D
    https://www.zonealarm.com/forums/sh...e-page-choices-to-install?p=296446#post296446
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=341034&page=3

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  16. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Yep,fax is right on this one.
    Beethoven1770,i think Zonealarm worth a try,believe me.The only "nag" i saw it was once,and it was their promo to buy the full suite,that's all.A click on the "no thanks" made it disappear and didn't came back.;) (in aprox a month anyway)

17. fax

fax Registered Member

You must be in real trouble with your hard disk space. Nowadays you can get a TB HD with less than 50$.

You can opt for the web installer that hopefully can be managed by your system (around 2MB). This will install only the files you need. The offline installer contains all language packages plus 32/64bit components and files for different OSs- all in one. http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/anti-virus-spyware-free-download.htm

Warning: do not expect a comodo like firewall. ZA is much simpler and designed to set and forget. Just doing the work of a firewall without other bloat or special effects. :)

Also always download the installer directly from the producer. Do not trust third party websites. Install with active internet connection and windows firewall ON. This way whatever happens, windows firewall will be turned ON if ZA is turned OFF.

Do you like it? Yes? Good.... No? dumb it and find something else. That's the beauty of free software :D

18. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

The last version I tried did indeed force you to select these changes. Maybe they fixed it due to complaints but it was there recently.

19. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Keep this in mind Beethoven1770

20. Tyrizian

Same here

21. The Red Moon

Thanks RADEON.
    I was considering giving it a go but upon research i have changed my mind.
    Why ruin a good set up which i have now with comodo installed.:cool:

22. fax

fax Registered Member

Looks like I speak a foreign language!
    You can skip all at install in latest version ("SKIP ALL OFFERS")! Must be the fourth time I post the same LoL o_O

Sorry to say, must be the usual trolling... I should abstain next time to post on Zonealarm threads as users seems to post "whatever" and ignore whatever else is written.

skip_all_offers.jpg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  23. The Red Moon

@fax.
    Your english skills are just fine,no problems there.
    Ok later this week i may try this firewall out just to give it my personal benefit of the doubt.
    104mb is quite large for just a firewall so i am suspecting the av is being downloaded also or it is suffering from unneeded bloat.we shall see.
    Thanks.

24. fax

fax Registered Member

:D Already answered above.... I am sweating... LoL

The 104MB is the "offline" installer... the version with AV is more than 200MB.
    Don't try it if you are happy with comodo...;)

25. Tyrizian

I think the setup you have is enough.

But, it doesn't hurt to try something new once and awhile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.