ZoneAlarm Free Causes Conflict Even When Shut Down

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by vivona, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vivona

vivona Registered Member

I am running MozyHome 2.x on Windows XP, SP3, with all updates. When I have ZoneAlarm Free Firewall 9.x installed and attempt to restore a file I have backed up on the Mozy servers, the restore will terminate after about 10MB to 20MB have downloaded. I don’t know if it is related to amount downloaded, time elapsed, number of disk writes or whatever. It makes no difference which file I download or if it is a group of smaller files. File downloads under 10MB usually restore without problems.

This problem happens even if I shutdown ZoneAlarm from the systray icon. However, if I fully uninstall ZoneAlarm, the Mozy restore process runs without problems. If I reinstall ZoneAlarm, the problem starts up again. And, yes, all Mozy executables have been given Trusted permissions in the ZoneAlarm program list.

This exact problem happens on a second Windows XP, SP3, installation I have on a laptop. In that case, instead of the MozyHome client, I am using the MozyRestoreManager, a standalone application that is only used to restore files from their servers.

Apparently, something about having ZoneAlarm installed, regardless of whether it is running or not, causes the Mozy file restore process to fail.

When the Mozy restore terminates, The Mozy client reports ClientError3 which indicates an issue related to the network connection or to the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) cryptographic network protocol.

All other software on both PCs work fine.

So, this raises the following questions:

1. What is still running when ZoneAlarm is shut down that can affect Mozy?
    2. What does ZoneAlarm do to the system upon install that is undone when you uninstall it?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. vivona

vivona Registered Member

I did try putting the Mozy executables in the ZoneAlarm trusted program list andit didn't help. Even with using just the standalone MozyRestoreManager program to do a restore will crash with ZoneAlarm.

The real thing I am trying to figure out is why I have to fully uninstall ZoneAlarm to get Mozy to work. Why doesn't simply shutting down ZoneAlarm stop it from conflicting with Mozy? The TrueVector service stops and there are no ZoneAlarm executables running in Task Manager, but it still causes a conflict.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Most likely one of the ZoneAlarm services is still running, so even though you shut down the GUI, it's still there. I think there is more than just one service, although it's been a long time since I ran ZA, so I can't remember or tell you what the names are. A complete uninstall would remove the services, and hence your problem disappears. Sometimes just the fact that there are drivers installed can cause problems as well....

Edit: You might try posting your issue on the ZA forums as well....

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  5. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

That does sound familiar as do issues with the free version but it has been a long time since I also had ZA.

Others here are more up to date with ZA so maybe they will help you.

Having backup restore is very important BUT so is having a firewall product properly set up.

So you either need to get this issue fixed with ZA OR replace it. There are other free alternative FW products BUT this thread is not the place to deal with that matter.

The stickies at the top of the other FW's forum provide a starting point.

6. vivona

vivona Registered Member

Thank you for all the great comments.

It would seem to me that proper software design would make it so that shutting it down would shut down all services and functions. I spent an entire week with Mozy support trying all kinds of other fixes because I had thought I had ruled out ZoneAlarm as the problem by shutting it down. It was only when Mozy suggested completely uninstalling ZoneAlarm that I found that it was causing the problem.

I took Escalader's advice and replaced ZoneAlarm with Comodo Free Firewall since Comodo seems to be well regarded in firewall reviews. I have not had any issues with Comodo and Mozy working together and will continue testing to see if Comodo introduces problems with other software on my PCs.

7. zip

zip Registered Member

I have no problem with ZoneAlarm Free.

If Comodo was the only firewall, I would surf the internet without a firewall!

I have no respect for Comodo!!!

8. zip

zip Registered Member

BTW, I had no problems with Mozy & ZA on XP.

I'm using 7 64bit now with Mozy & ZA, no problems.

I suggest you look elsewhere for your problem.

9. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I'm glad your issue is resolved.

But just to be very clear and I know you didn't intend it but I did NOT recommend any specific FW. That would be IMHO off topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.