ZoneAlarm for Windows Vista Released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ronjor, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Brian Krebs

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Guess they were able to produce a Vista compatible version before the other vendors. Victory usually goes to the swiftest (of course, if the program is not full of bugs). :D

3. fax

fax Registered Member

4. Neoxellos

Neoxellos Registered Member

Can't seem to find if it also includes Vista 64?

5. fax

fax Registered Member

Nope... I think only VISTA 32.
    64bit is not supported by ZA in any OS.

Fax

6. henryg

henryg Registered Member

That was the main reason as to why many Z.A. users have not updated Zone Alarm since ver.6.1.744.001.:D

Now... lets see what the Vista version is comprised of.;)

7. fax

fax Registered Member

Actually it works absolutely fine here... and still using the latest beta for VISTA. :D

Fax

8. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I can't seem to find a download link at the ZA site. They say June 14th is the day, but no download. Perhaps tomorrow.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Free Version is there. Not sure what they are doing on the other versions.

10. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

When did Norton Suite deploy their suite?

Some months ago I think, so it is incorrect to think/claim ZA was first, they were late.

11. Gren

Gren Registered Member

Download links are now on the front page at Zonelabs. Trouble is that the only versions available are the full suite, the AV version and the free version. No sign of the Pro or anti-spyware (one I was interested in) versions.

Free is, according to most sources, not much use and I already use NOD32 so the other two are no use to me at the moment both having AV components.

Anyone know if the Pro/AS versions are on there way?

12. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

i think nod32 and norton were the first to release vista compatible updates......and if memory serves me correctly both of them did so in january...

13. Gren

Gren Registered Member

NOD's firewall (ESS) is still in early stages of Beta though. Think this was was the comment was aimed at?

14. fax

fax Registered Member

May be the first to release a firewall using native Vista's Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) API. I think most vendors are still using the old TDI (Transport Device Interface)...

Fax

15. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Don't know about when Norton made their suite available. The news item did not say that ZA was first. Only that there is a dearth of two way firewalls made for Vista at the current time. If ZA is late, what does that imply about the other firewall programs? Are they super late? ;) :p

It appears that Norton was released on January 29.
    http://www.computerworld.com/action...do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9008378

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  16. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I downloaded both the free and ZASS versions. No ZAP as yet. Word has it that XP ZASS keys will not work.

Both versions are somewhat less bloated than the XP stuff, especially the free one that no longer contains a trial of ZASS.

The free version should be much easier to work with than running the built in Vista FW with outbound filtering (I have tried that, its hard). However, I don't know if it will be any better than the built in FW.

Boot and shutdown times seemed longer with ZASS running as a 15 day trial.

The good news is now there is another choice.

17. Escalader

I wasn't responding the news release but to these words: "Guess they were able to produce a Vista compatible version before the other vendors".

Since Norton was ahead then they (ZA) were not able to produce a Vista version before the other vendors...;) but it doesn't matter really does it?

What matters is the effectiveness and efficiency of suites compared to a designed layered tools approach.

That is a story still being written, we need an AV_Comparatives Report on these Vista suites so users who want a suite can use objective comparisons to select them before laying down their $. Vendor advocates and vendor detractors aren't going to help with decision making

For the record, I don't use ZA or Norton at this time.

18. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Ok, then I should revise my statement to say "ZA was able to produce a Vista compatible version before MOST of the other vendors." Satisfied? ;)

Yes, I agree that a comparative report for Vista suites will be needed. But as my PC use history has progressed, at least for me, the information will be of no relevance until about 5 years from now. :cool:

19. Escalader

Hi ccsito

I am thinking of the many users not in forums like Wilder's etc who will never have a sophisticated set up like yours ( mine is simpler, much to learn still for sure) they will take the "easy" route because they have no possible way to do otherwise. They will take a suite not 5 years from now but like today!

It would be interesting to have an idea how many pc users not in wilders but on a broad sample have no security other than what came with the PC, how many want a one stop solution and how many have more complex set ups like yours? ( or even mine for that matter)

Take it easy...:thumb:

20. fax

fax Registered Member

They seem to offer a 6 months extension for displeased users of ZAPRO...

See here: http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=gen&message.id=43487#M43487

Cheers,
    Fax

21. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

Sophisticated or paranoid? :eek:

22. Escalader

Well it is possible to overload on security software. They can/do crash into each other if the selection process is haphazard.

But I wouldn't say any thing about paranoia. These days all it takes is 1 virus or Trojan to get by your screen and or scanners and HIPS you can be in serious trouble.

If you have never experienced one great, but once is enough to turn anybody super defensive.

23. Cold Pizza

Cold Pizza Guest

Yes I agree with you Escalader. You can have all the great security programs either Free or Paid versions installed on your computer, but it will not do you any good when ONLY 1 trojan or whatever gets into your computer. Either piggybacking on a update from any of the security programs or whatever. With all the total nonsense going on in the internet, you need to be PARANOID and be on your guard all the time while operating your computer. Only other solution is to reach down, pull the plug from the outlet, box up your computer, and find some other way of communications.

Have a nice day!

24. Diver

Diver Registered Member

You can have all sorts of security programs, but if you run as other than a limited rights user on XP, or with UAC turned off on Vista, your computer is not secure. And I mean that with no exceptions.

25. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

I agree and that's why I'm running Vista Home Premium with UAC "on", plus surfing the net as a standard account user, and two security packages (Antivir free, Windows Defender).

Shifted to IE 7 in "protected mode" from FF 2 though FF 2 is a good product. Been thinking about buying DefenseWall, but not sure yet. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.