ZoneAlarm Email Settings

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trouthunter1, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trouthunter1

trouthunter1 Registered Member

Have configured my ZA 7.0 email settings (Outlook03) for jun email. I am puzzled however by what I find in the configuration section. Some junk email addresses find their way into the "people allowed" section and I often see numbers such as 1024, 1536, etc which I think indicates a message has been sent/received. Is this correct? Does this really mean that a spammer has accessed my addresses and sent that many messages? Or is this a quirk of the program?
    thanks.

2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi Hunter:

Best to ask Fax here or in their forum on that anonmoly and any other ZA subject.

I have removed ZA now. When I set it up in the past I disabled the ZA email scanners. ZA Pro was weak in that area so to get strong email scanning and avoid double scanning I used my AV program for that function.

It depends on your view of the limits of FW's should they be "pure" and just monitor in and out packets or as in a suite do everything for the user?

3. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

If you are talking about the email protection tab in ZAP, all it is doing is monitoring your email for attachments of a possibly dangerous character. To do that it simply looks at the extention and quarantines it if it could be a worm.

There is no question of scanning email for dangers, it is just looking at the attachment type, so you can choose to take precautions when/if you open it. The help file explains all this clearly. You can configure the extention types being monitored.

Really it is just to prevent accidental opening of a possibly dangerous file - it does not mean the file IS dangerous, just that it could be.

4. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi Topper:

That' s no doubt the case for all email scanners, I wanted the OP to be aware of the duplication in scanning emails with more than one security product.

But we are OT here, I'm hoping Fax or some other expert can answer the OP question about a quirk in the program.

"Some junk email addresses find their way into the "people allowed" section and I often see numbers such as 1024, 1536, etc which I think indicates a message has been sent/received. Is this correct? Does this really mean that a spammer has accessed my addresses and sent that many messages? Or is this a quirk of the program? thanks."

5. fax

fax Registered Member

Hi!
    if he/she has the ZA antispam installed it means he/she is using ZASS with antivirus and antispyware... and I assume not running any other antivirus realtime...

Never experienced any spam e-mail in my allowed address book... so I have no idea why. The only possibility I can think of is that you have spam e-mails in your various 'sent' or 'inbox' folders and those e-mails have been added by the spam filter automatically (white list database)

The best is to search for that specific e-mail addresses and see if you find them in your mailboxes...

On the other problem, try to post a message at ZA forum... or even better: write to ZA technical support, its free for licensed user as well as trial users (in the 15 days).

Cheers,
    Fax

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.