zonealarm caught phoning home. True or false ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by david in oz, Jan 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david in oz

david in oz Guest

I was reading in a forum a couple of days ago, ( the forum name I can not recall ), I was reading a post about zone alarm & it's apparent phoning home.

The basics of the post are as follows.

Zone Labs have been caught spying & phoning home unchecked
    Tip for users of zonealarm
    Be warned this phones home every session with no apparent way to stop it

Has anybody else heard this?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

No, not really and I've been using ZA for a long time and know a thing or two about it. I don't think it phones home to do any tracking or logging that we should be concerned about. I've used tools like Port Explorer and they don't show anything to be concerned about.

Perhaps if you told us what exactly you are reading, we could look at it and see if it is a real issue.

3. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

it does "phone" home to check for updates, if that is enabled. that's all.
    put a checkmark in the box check for updates manually if that's a problem

4. doug6949

doug6949 Registered Member

They must do some tracking. I stopped receiving ZA spam when I switched to Kerio.

Doug

5. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Doug, no offense intended - but without providing solid proof for such a presumption, that's merely what it is: an unfounded presumption.

regards.

paul

6. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Hi Paul and others

Long time no seen...I have noticed this too on my own puter; Rnaapp.exe has been hijacked by ZA and I only wonder why. Basicly I trust in Steve Gibson he wouldn´t do harm, or would he?

Ari

7. doug6949

doug6949 Registered Member

- but without providing solid proof for such a presumption, that's merely what it is: an unfounded presumption.

"must" was certainly a bad choice of words. And in all fairness Zonelabs does make plain their intention to send offers to users of the free version, which seems reasonable.

I did notice that outbound activity occurred on shutdown with ZA installed.

Doug

8. CompilerBacter

CompilerBacter Registered Member

I have a licenced version of ZA Pro, normally I have 'Automatic Update' set to 'Manual'. Following the install of 4.5.538 as an update, (i.e. preseving the current settings), it over-rode this, turning on the automatic update feature. So, I guess if you updated, then ZAP may appear to 'phone home' when it didn't previously.

9. LowWaterMark

Good to see you again Krusty! :)

That Rnaapp.exe problem is a known bug and it has been discussed at the Zone Labs forum. It's some type of network access issue that appears only on certain system configurations, and I don't believe they've fixed it yet, but they are working on it. In any case, no one has found anything that shows its an attempt to secretly send any information to Zone Labs.

Fire Permit,

Regarding the emails from Zone Labs, if you ever registered the product online or within the user interface, like image below then you could very well get email ads from them. (I've registered mine and I redo that each time I upgrade.) They do have opt-out options available if they are needed.

CompilerBacter,

Yes, the first 4.5 release forced automatic updates to be on all the time and had no option to disable it. The newest release states that they've added back in the ability to set it to manual updates again.

Many people were upset by having automatic updates locked on, so they gave in and allow people to disable it again.

Attached Files:

10. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Quote LowWaterMark:
    Good to see you too LWM!

This Rnaapp is not an issue to me :)
    I wish all the best and prosperous year 2004!

11. Q-baller

Q-baller Guest

Yes it does call home---this is a way to stop it cold

Close ZoneAlarm.
    Open up your registry editor.
    Go to the following key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm
    In the right pane, you will see CfgMain, double click that.
    Use your keyboard's arrow keys to downwards until you reached 0028.
    On line #6 (002:cool:, press the right arrow key 5 times, then hit Backspace.
    After you are done the step above, type 00 on your keyboard.
    Then click OK.
    Restart ZoneAlarm...

12. LowWaterMark

Hi Q-Baller,

The key you are describing is simply the auto-update setting in ZA. The latest release of ZA allows you to set that key to manual without the need to use regedit. That isn't any special phone home, it's just the check for updates option.

13. lycanusmaximus

lycanusmaximus Registered Member

I have the auto-update set to manual.
    I have the latest version, after updating a coule of times, and I have had absolutely no problems.
    I have been as of late fairly paranoid (and after what BI did, I have very good reason), so I am glad to have ZAP.
    I watch very carefully, and NO it does NOT "phone home".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.