ZoneAlarm alert bug

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by StevieO, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Hi

Running ZoneAlarm version:8.0.298.000 on Vista

Can't get rid of that bugging daily alert. Any ideas on how to ?

TIA

Attached Files:

• za.png
      za.png
      File size:
      4.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

set updates on manual? Otherwise, if on auto, tick not to be alerted

3. StevieO

Cudni

Hi, yes updates are on manual.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

5. StevieO

From the link you kindly provided.

-

there are many services that need to contact ZA servers.
    What is the exact message?

Have you turned OFF smartadvisor? Also smartdefense should be turned OFF.
    Also AV/AS updates need to contact ZA servers and you will need to turn OFF them also.

In summary: to avoid ZA making contacts you should turn OFF 80% of the functionality of your security tool.

-

It's the free version i'm using, which doesn't have those features.

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

report it to ZA although they might think of it as feature rather than nuisance. Else, tick yes to not to be bothered while it check daily.

7. StevieO

They probably would think that, but it's a nuisance rather than feature for me. Previous versions didn't do this !

Don't like auto updates on anything.

If nobody can offer a solution to prevent this loading, i'll look for an earlier version, if there is one for Vista ?

Thanx for your time

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I had the same problem with v8.0.298.000 and ZoneAlarm Pro. It had not existed until I upgraded to that version. Tech support did not want to admit it was a bug. I was advised to re-install because of corrupted files. I tolerated it until v8.0.400.020 was released in early June. I then uninstalled the old and installed the new. The problem went away... but I don't really know if it was the new version or the uninstall that fixed it. I think you are probably running the most current version of the free firewall. Good luck.

9. StevieO

Page42

So it's not just me who suffers this. Good to hear your upgrade killed it.

I'm searching now for a previous version/s. ZA had these on their www before, but i can't see the link now ?

10. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

11. StevieO

act8192

Thanx for the link.

As far as i'm aware ALL version 7's and earlier are NOT Vista compatable. The only other 8 on there is v8.0.065.000 which i'm presuming will have the same bugger included !

Might try Outpost instead and see what it's like. I know it's Very good, but it must be easy to configure/monitor etc, and not frighten regular users with confusing alerts etc.

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

When you think about it, all you really have to do is click Do Not Send once a day. Eventually ZA free will come out in v8.0.400.020 and that may fix the bug, as was the case for me. It's a bit easier than installing a new FW. But then again, there's a moment with any software when you pass the point of no return, and it's clearly time to yank it off your computer and go with something else. This is why I have two OA licenses waiting for me... I'm getting a bit tired of little nagging ZAP issues, and I intend to try OA one day soon. Good luck to you. :)

13. StevieO

Page42

Yes i suppose it's no biggy once a day, but i'm not the only one using this particular PC. I'm afraid the others are a bit trigger happy, plus they find even that prompt ambiguous.

Eventually and may, 2 words but who knows when ?

There are some other things that are also dissapointing in v8 compared to much earlier versions - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=247396

I've got OA free on an XP PC, and it's an excellent App. I recommend you try it out ASAP, you won't be dissapointed, i'm sure.

Regards

S

14. fax

fax Registered Member

Wait for ZA 9 retail line (currently in beta), stability and usability are the priority for this version :D
    In general, ZAfree line is not anymore up to the competition in terms of functionality. If you mind outbound leaks than OA, Oupost or Comodo will do the job. Just a matter of trying them and see which one you like most!

Usually ZA free version is offered 3 week after the release of the retails version but may be version 9 got priority.

Fax

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.