ZoneAlarm 2009 Products released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by vijayind, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pseudo

Pseudo Registered Member

I don't believe ZA free was updated.

2. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Ah thats ok, I removed it anyway. Im running Vista Firewall and Threatfire now.

3. fax

fax Registered Member

4. Pseudo

Pseudo Registered Member

5. noway

noway Registered Member

6. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

7. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Is there a direct download link? I've gone over my cap and the download management from the install is screwy.

8. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I downloaded the full install of ZAAV V8 (32382KB) by logging into my account. V8 Picked up the remaining time on my V7 subscription.

And BTW, V8 is running well; no need to fall back to V7.

Attached Files:

9. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

10. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

LOL, yeah... parental control sucks, haven't seen that for a long time from PC Mag. :D :rolleyes:

Other than that, their methodology is still totally FUBARed and best way to produce a malfunctioning install for any security application out there:

I give the guy a credit for being honest at least once:

Meh... :thumbd: to PC Mag yet again.

11. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Neil Rubenking doesn't really understand the products. I don't really look at his reviews except for screenshots.

12. AKAJohnDoe

Wow. I just read the referenced review. I have to completely agree: Neil Rebenking is utterly clueless and an antique himself, apparently.

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Other than that, their methodology is still totally FUBARed and best way to produce a malfunctioning install for any security application out there:

Quote:
    "I install the suite on test systems infested with malware samples of many varieties, including adware, spyware, rookits, Trojans, worms, and rogue antispyware."

I believe the reason he tries this is because it is a common situation in the real world. Users discover their systems are infected and then go buy and try to install security software. It's a real plus if a security application can successfully install on an infected system and clean it up. In my support work I do a lot of PC clean up, so I really appreciate the apps that will install, especially in safe mode which is sometimes the only mode you can get into.

14. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

If you are infected by a couple of specific, identified viruses, then this will usually work. If you infest the system with hundreds of malware specimens and try to do the above, you'll mostly end up with a broken, still heavily infected OS - exactly the ones that run all the botnets and are spamming the hell out of everyone out there.

That's why vendors provide bootable CDs to get the box into somewhat "normal" state first before installing anything else on it. Plus, the reason I'd do all of this on a heavily infected box is to backup vital data in case the user doesn't do regular backups (sadly, mostly the case), then reformat and reinstall the box from scratch.

15. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

I agree with doktornotor, on this one.
    In the real world, when sighted with an highly infected system. Most usually will opt for the Rescue CD approach.

The only thing I view in PCMag review, is the score for proactive protection, leak tests and performance measures, just for GK.
    And yes, Parental Control :D My whole buying/advice decision relys on Parental Control..... ;) How could life on earth, go on without it

16. AKAJohnDoe

I am a strong proponent of planned parenthood myself; life would be so much better if one's parents could have been planned.

17. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

It's because the review security software within the same framework as they review all other software where they compare 'features' and price. Just doesn't work like that for security software.

18. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

The sad part is in a recent review and maybe a reason why Norton moved Pcontrole to a Add on. is simply people normally don't use it. and frankly seems to be a waste of time. as even Norton has found out. its sad that they put so much review on a part of a program that the general population could careless about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.