Zone Alarm Version 3?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Trooper, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Hi All,

I had a colleague of mine last night tell me about Zone Alarm version 3.x. He told me he still uses it, and its pretty good (as it suits his needs).

I am curious as to your thoughts on this.

How is the protection?
    Where can I get it?
    Does it still give satisfactory security for Outbound events, dll injection etc?

Thanks in advance for any/all replies.

Regards,

Jag

2. Arup

Arup Guest

You are better off using the latest version which features far more protection including protection from keyloggers etc.

3. Trooper

Arup,

I have heard the latest version is bloatware however, is this true?

Thanks for your reply,

Jag

4. Arup

Arup Guest

On most systems, the free version consumes 14mb and the pro around 17mb if you turn off all the other stuff apart from firewall, I would say it is pretty much average consumption unless you put in Kerio 2.15 or LnS in the equation or even NetVeda.

5. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hello Jaguar,

You can get 2.6 - the last version that this site has:
    http://www.oldversion.com/

The latest version is is like a lot of current software, bigger than it used to be. I would get something that is up to date, if not ZA, Sygate - version 5.5.0.2710 - with the added bonus of advanced rule making in the free version. Has satisfactory security for Outbound events, dll injection.

The very latest Sygate 5.6 is still problematic for some.

Regards - Charles

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Jaguar - I have found many of the older versions by going to the ZoneLabs site and looking up the specific version numbers in their release history and then Googling for them. Have found several version 2.x, 3.x and 4.x. They're not hard to find.

The older versions are ok, however, there have been security updates since the 3.x versions, so you might be better off with the newer releases. Anything from 4.5 and up should be good.

7. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Check the release history at the ZA site and then make your decision based on what was fixed in each version only you can decide if the listed items in each version are of concern when picking your version. Hope that was of help, as I am a little tired this evening. :doubt: Link below for quicker access to info.

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory.html

8. zcv

zcv Registered Member

With the exceptions of v5.0 and 5.1 - if you do any research on those two versions, you'll find they gave ZL a black eye. Really bad.

Regards - Charles

9. Trooper

Here is the thing. I can purchase version 3.0 for pretty cheap. So I wonder if I purchase it, will I be able to upgrade to the newest version?

I mean what is so special about the new version vs the old 3.0? Sometimes newer is not always better. ;)

Im mainly just looking for application control as I have a Linksys BEFSX41 router in my home setup.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Regards,

Jag

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Even IF you can upgrade from 3 to 5.5, the upgrade will still cost you $20 I think. So you might as well just buy 5.5 to begin with. Also, I don't know what improvements have been made to the app control stuff from 3 to 5.5 but I would imagine that it is better in 5.5 since 3 is a few years old now.

11. Trooper

Kerodo,

Some very good points. However I still think if I get the 3 version and have to spend 20 bucks, Im still ahead of the game (cost wise).

I have tested the new version and did not care for it much. It's become more bloated (like other apps/firewalls) as time has progressed.

I appreciate your info as always. :D

Regards,

Jag

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I agree that there are several unnecessary (to me anyway) features in the newer versions.. So you should go with what you like best...

13. Trooper

I hear you Kerodo. I still have not purchased it yet. ;)

I think Im gonna check some more firewalls out on Virtual PC since I just did a fresh insall of Windows yesterday, dont want to clog up my finely tuned beast now with uwanted bloat or registry entries. :p

Jag

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.