Zone Alarm Question

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by jnibori, Aug 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnibori

jnibori Registered Member

I use the freeware version of Zone Alarm. I have the security settings maxed out. I leave my computer on during the day, even when I am away.

Is there any reason to use the locking program, which prevents data from entering or leaving my system, via the internet. Or, am I secure enough without it.

The reason I ask is because I usually have to re-boot after I disable the locking option to use Outlook Express again.

Thank-you for taking the time to review this.

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

jnibori - Welcome!

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/znalmGeneralFAQ.jsp#14general is about all I can find on that from ZA, but when I used to use it and read about it a lot, often I would read that people would suffer various weirdnesses from leaving the internet lock on for long periods when they weren't on the Internet, too.

If the program is properly configured, it should be enough to protect your computer while it's un-attended without the use of the Internet lock, although why people want to leave their machines live on the Internet unattended is really quite beyond me. HTH Pete

3. marti

marti Registered Member

I have always felt that the system was secure without the locking system. I don't use the locks.

4. jnibori

jnibori Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.

I have posted this elsewhere too, and I have not received one answer telling me I should use it. I guess what made me ask the question was the feature that allows the lock to be enabled after a pre-selected time period during on-line inactivity. It almost infers to use it.

I close my browser when I am finished, but I leave my system booted during the day, with cable. I thought I was always 'on-line". I have even heard stories about how there are capabilities to enter your computer, via the back door, even if it's off, but you are still connected using cable. That's way beyond me, and I am not that paranoid - yet.

Again, thanks for the replies.

5. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

When I'm not using my computer, I turn it off - mainly because I can see no reason to leave it on and eating up electricity, but also because WinMe doesn't do well when left on continuously.

If there's an exploit out there that can harm/hack my computer while it's turned off (regardless of the fact that the modem itself is still on) , I haven't heard of it.

You're quite welcome.
    Pete

6. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Gents,

Could it be, the "lock function" is merely used in emergency cases while on line, in effect using your system? (SYN) Floods, etc.

regards.

paul

7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Paul - yes, that's what I've always thought. And not only as a defense against inbound, but OUTbound also.

Of course, since they did away with the DeskBand.... Pete

8. Paul Wilders

Pete,

I'm with you here.

ahh..perhaps the time has come to switch? LnS and Kerio are doing quite nicely over here - time between them equally divided ;)

regards.

paul

9. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Personally,
    I use the "lock" when away from my PC. I turn off my PC at night. (it has to rest too !)LOL
    But when I'm away from my machine, nothing in or out !!
    That's just me !!
    regards,
    bill ;)

10. Paul Wilders

Hi Bill,

If you don't encounter any probs in doing so (others have reported probs): good decision! ;)

regards.

paul

11. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

<g> Switched a long time ago.

Time equally divided between L'n'S and OutPost. Pete

12. Paul Wilders

LOL! Now, why is it, I'm not surprised? :D

regards.

paul

13. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Paul,
    never had any problems whatsoever !!
    With XP running, you WANT to keep track of the "outbound" connections !!

bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.