Zone Alarm Problem?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by paco101758, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paco101758

paco101758 Registered Member

This is my first post here, but I've been a fan of this site for years. My question concerns some recent behavior that I have not seen before with Zone Alarm. I've had Zone Alarm Pro for a few years, but the new version 5.5.062.004 has been adding a host of programs to the program control list. In the past it had to be something that was asking for internet access (svchost.exe) or when I did a antivirus update (I used NOD32) but lately it seems almost everything is being adding by Zone Alarm to the program control list. Windows Explorer ( I do not use IE for browsing) or NT Logon or even applications that I use without accessing the internet. It may mean nothing, but I'm always a bit suspicious. I hate to think about switching firewall software. Has anyone heard anything about this, and is it anything to be concerned about? Also, any ideas on how to stop it from happening in the first place. Thanks.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Did you just recently enable the program component control? When you do, for some odd reason ZA adds several other programs to the list that don't ordinarly ask for internet access. MS Office programs, NT Logon, Windows Explorer, etc. If you just switched program control to High that might be why...

I don't think it's anything to be concerned about.

3. paco101758

paco101758 Registered Member

No, I didn't change anything, Kerodo. That was a good thought, though. I really appreciate getting a response from someone on this. As I said in the previous post, I've been a fan of this site for a while. That said, it is obvious from other posts, from newbies like myself, that many questions posted in this forum seem to be of little interest to long time members. I'm not sure why? It may be the nature of the questions, or how they're posed, or that they come from someone with little technical knowledge, like myself. Whatever the reason, it is a fact. Just look at some of the post, and response history. No, it's not the majority, but it's there. I can honestly say that the primary reason I posted my question here is my high regard for the knowledgeable membership. I do not mean any of this as a slight to this forum, or any of it's members. In particular I have great respect for Paul Wilders. I just think it's a point that can be forgotten over the long haul, which is probably just human nature.
    What I hope does not happen, and would be a shame, is that this post will probably get more responses than the original post. Then again, maybe that is a good thing. :) Oh by the way, I did end up getting my question answered by picking the brain of our IT guy at work. Happy Holidays to all of you!

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi paco101758

... and welcome to Wilders :)

A couple of discussions on this behavior:
    Changes with the new version of ZA!
    Weird items being added to program list after update

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.