Zone Alarm Pro Installation disaster! Help needed.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by CompilerBacter, Aug 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CompilerBacter

CompilerBacter Registered Member

Well, it was renewal time, so I paid up, and may as well download the latest version while I'm at it, right? (Oh dear).

I'm on Win98 and selected "clean install".
    The install failed with a message about not being able to close some file related to VSMON, (sorry I don't remember the detail here).
    Came to re-boot, and got Missing DLL error, SSLEAY32.DLL.
    Tried a few more installs/re-boots, no good.
    Tried to restore the situation by re-installing ZAP previous version, (V5.5), no good, still get DLL error.
    Downloaded missing DLL, cured DLL error but still can't install any version of ZAP!
    ZAP V6 install gives "can't log into VSMON" error message.
    ZAP V5.5 install just stops without any message.

Other things I tried:
    Deleting the ZoneLabs directory.
    Removing VSMON from the startup list.
    Re-downloaded ZAP V6 installation file.

I had a quick look in this forum and didn't see any similar looking posts so I would be very grateful if anyone knows what is going wrong here.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Don't know what the problem is, but I do know there are some instructions on the ZoneLabs site for completely removing ZA from your system. I would recommend searching their site for those instructions, then following them, and try to remove all traces of ZA. Then reboot, and attempt a clean install once again. If that doesn't work, then you may have other problems on your Win98 system.

3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

4. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Hello, Compilebacter.

I am a user of ZA Pro myself, who had horrendous probs with the ZA Pro 6 release (computer hanging at the log-in page and only responding to mains switch-off; very slow performance when I was ever able to actually log-in; squashing of McAfee AV; some Admin user accounts not being able to log in), and have now reverted to ZA Pro 5.5.094.000.

I would recommend that you follow the instructions on the page at the link below, if you are still having problems, and might want to go back to ZA Pro 5. The info is particularly useful as there are links to previous versions of ZA Pro, which you can download to your desktop, before completely uninstalling ZA Pro 6.

In fairness to the ZA people, I ought to say that they seem to be saying on the ZA Users Forum, that they believe that ZA Pro 6 problems may have been caused by Upgrades to ZA Pro 6, rather than completely new installs of it. I just didn't fancy going through the headaches again.

Good Luck!

http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646/CompleteUninstallNonNT.html

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  5. CompilerBacter

CompilerBacter Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.

I tried the uninstall procedure but it had no effect.

Eventually I took the cowardly option and restored the system. This was followed however, by the not-so-cowardly option of trying to install V6 again, this time it was fine!

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.