Zone Alarm/Nod 32/IM Conflict

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by David S, Nov 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David S

David S Registered Member

Apparently Zone Alarm has a new addon for instant messaging (IM Secure). I have a older zone alarm which I have always resubscribed for the updates but a friend of mine has a newer version (I presume it's a suite) which has Instant Messaging Security built in. Anyways, I was on MSN Messenger yesterday with this friend and while we could chat we couldn't play games because his zone alarm wouldn't allow it because my computer didn't have IM security-(I have everything else-my pc is very secure) anyways I went to Zone Alarm and downloaded their IM secure but I couldn't install it because I received alerts that it conflicts with NOD32.

Is anyone familiar with this conflict? I'm not going to give up NOD32 and like I said my pc is very secure so I'm not worried about not having IM security except I would like to play some games. Any suggestions?

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Is this IM part of ZA Pro?

Cheers :D

3. David S

It's part of a suite or can be bought seperate, I was unfamiliar with it until now, I went to their site and found out about it.
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_ims.jsp?lid=nav_fim
    I don't believe that Zone Alarm would or even legally could make a product that works with instant messaging that would force other people to use it in order to play games on MSN Messenger with other people that had their product. So I figure there must be a workaround or my friend is doing something wrong, which now that I think about is very likely lol.

(Just for information-when I mentioned I had an older version of Zone Alarm I was referring to when I bought it-I have the current version:5.5.062.000 but the IM secure can come bundled with it now which wasn't an option before)

I personally don't mind extra security so for me I didn't mind getting it but the fact that it conflicted with NOD32 made it unusable for me. I like my NOD32.

This may be more of an issue with Zone Alarm then NOD32 but I figure that NOD32 users are much more informed about security and would be more help. (I also just posted on Zone Alarms board that it conflicted so if I get anything there I'll let you know.)

4. Blackspear

Greatly appreciated, as we all learn that way...

5. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

This is a known issue with IM secure not working with nod...there have been quite a few complaints about it. Zonelabs did say they would look into it and that was over a year ago, they must have changed their minds.

6. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Yes there is no known workaround, the only option is not to use IM Secure and the email checking part of ZAP, disable IMON in NOD or use a different AV product. Disabling IM Secure and Email checking in ZAP is not really a big deal as IMON and AMON both cover you better than ZAP does anyway IMHO.

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

David, try the following scenario:
    - uninstall IM Secure
    - disable the automatic detection of changes in network settings option in the Miscellaneous tab of IMON setup
    - install IM Secure

Let us know how ya go.

8. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Marcos I had this problem a month or two ago, it seems to be related to a protected LSP from NOD that will not allow Zone Alarm to modify the same LSP. The result is the same whether ZAP is installed first or NOD is. I never tried disabling auto network changes detection however. That may do the trick. I just gave up, kept NOD and switched to Sygate.

9. David S

Thanks for the help, I tried disabling the automatic network changes detection settings but still received the alert.

Abbreviated version of the alert: "IMsecure installations detected incompatable software-NOD32 Antivirus-conflict can cause system crashes and loss of internet access."

It is possible that changing the settings would work as the alert came because it detected NOD32 and not because it necessarily found a conflict. I didn't try it yet but I may as I do have system backups if it causes any major problems,it's just getting to late tonight.

So far I haven't gotten a response from the Zone Alarm board and then I also emailed their support. I'll let you know....

Thanks everyone

10. David S

Thanks everyone for the replies and I apologize for the length of time from my origional post and this followup-life got real hectic around here. Anyways, I received a letter back from Zone Alarm suggesting I uninstall Nod32 and then install the Zone Alarm IM Secure and then reinstall NOD32. I did that about a week ago and so far everything seems to be working fine.

Still can't get a checker game with my buddy though-I'm pretty sure after all of this the problem is on his computer lol.

Thanks again

11. Blackspear

Thanks for keeping us up to date David, we all learn this way...

12. jmc777

jmc777 Registered Member

Would you mind carrying out another small experiment? Uninstall NOD32 and reboot, then try to play checkers with your friend - does it work?

13. David S

I tried shutting down NOD32 while on MSN IM and we still couldn't play checkers but I'm really hesitant to be on the internet for an extended time without my antivirus running.

Thinking about it, I presume my firewall would protect me from intrusions and if I didn't download anything (or go to sites with malicious script) I would be ok but to be honest I'm not sure. As this is way off this topic, I'm going to post a new thread asking about this because it got me curious.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=59501

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.