Zone Alarm ISS Probs Installing

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Albinoni, Oct 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

I dont know what the heck has gone wrong here but last night I tried installing the trial version of ZA Internet Security Suite. Anyhow during the installation I got this error message: Setup is unable to log into the TrueVector service. Install cannot continue without logging into the TrueVector service. Please use the service manager to shutdown the TrueVector service and then restart the install program.

I'm using Win XP Pro.

Also whats the service manager ? is this in Win XP ?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

u can access the Services windows by going to your start menu > control panel > administrative tools > services. u can also use the run command (Windows key + R) and type in "services.msc".

3. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

I've gone into the above as what you said and into the True Vector Internet Monitor section, double clicked it etc. Now I cannot seem to Stop the process as the Stop button is ghosted.

How about Ctrl, Alt Del Processes can you think of any processes in here thats link to ZA.

4. TonyDownUnder

TonyDownUnder Registered Member

Albinoni you'll need to head over to the Zonelabs Forum accessible from that site. Go to the Installation thread and look for the uninstall/install instructions.
    Unfortunately as you will see, WSFusers helpful suggestion is not likely to work as the whole install was corrupted and has failed.

I was a very long term user of ZoneAlarm but as you will see the 6.5.XXX versions are very dodgy. This has been occuring since June this year and the issues continue. I have given up on it completely and found better alternatives as a result.

If you clean your system of this menace and for some reason want to try installing it again look for the instructions on how to do a clean install which probably involves a Safe Mode boot! Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I just did a clean uninstall of ZASS. You don't want to do it in safe mode unless you have problems, which you shouldn't. Go to the ZA forum, and in the install/uninstall section, start a post and address it to a Guru named Slyfox. Ask him to give you the instructions to do a clean uninstall/reinstall. Following the directions to the letter, you can purge your computer of this menace. If you have a registry cleaner on your PC, you can get a few remnants that may have escaped. My advice is to pick a day when you have an hour to take your time and go through each step. It's not hard, it's just nerve racking, knowing how other people have attempted it and screwed up. Just do EXACTLY what the directions say. After your computer is free of it, your bootups will take half as long, your shutdowns will take half as long, and some of your apps will run crisper. I downloaded a Firewall called Comodo after agonizing over whether it was too complicated or not, and investivating it for a month. All my concerns vanished when I installed it. It is light on its feet, and automatic as you want it to be. It's also free. It's like ZA was in 1998, only with 2006 stats.

6. maddad

maddad Registered Member

it seems to me that you are having the same probs with zone as i did,the only way i got rid was to go in to my instald programs on c drive and completly delete the zone file then reboot,and found a great file wall ,ie..ashampoo file wall its free and as good if not better than zone alarms free version..hope this helps.

7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Slightly off topic perhaps:

OK, I tried to do a clean install of ZA Pro but zclient.exe won´t load correctly (I do not have access to the GUI, drivers and everything do seem to be installed correctly. But I get an "acess denied/do not have enough rights" message when trying to manually start zclient.exe. I followed all the steps in this thread but I guess something must have gone wrong when uninstalling stuff? Does anyone have a clue? :blink:

I really think it´s a shame that ZA can´t uninstall itself completely all by itself. I still think it´s a cool firewall though, the reason why I upgraded was because you can now turnoff the OS firewall, very cool.

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If you follow the clean uninstall instructions, being careful not to miss anything, it should uninstall. Don't forget to delete all those files using the search on your menu. zl.client has to be deleted too. You can go to the ZA forum and explain your problem. Someone will help you, as they have repeated the answer to your question hundreds of times. This is one of the reasons folks are leaving ZA to find a more user friendly, stable firewall. May I suggest Comodo firewall. :isay:

9. Rasheed187

Well this really sucks, never would have thought that this would be the end for ZA Pro on my system, I´ve tried to install it again, and I get exactly the same problem, zclient.exe can´t load correctly. This is really pathetic, I mean drivers and everything else install correctly so what´s up with zclient.exe?

The funny thing is that the first time that you load ZA Pro everything works correctly, but the trouble starts when restarting, I really do not know what the problem is, I believe I uninstalled it correctly (removed files in safe mode). The only thing that I can come up with is that perhaps my other HIPS are the problem, but I doubt this since I only have problems with zclient.exe, and the firewall is actually functioning OK. o_O

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I don't have an answer for you, but I know they don't want you to uninstall it in safe mode. Did you do what I suggested? When you did the clean uninstall did you delete zclient.exe in the process? This is one reason ZA sucks. If you don't do everything perfect during the uninstall, your chances of coming out OK aren't good. Can you imagine a newbie trying this?

11. Rasheed187

Hi,

I have already posted my question on the ZA forum, and I´m glad to see that it´s not a problem only on my system, a lot of people have the exact same problem, looks like ZoneLabs messed up with v6.5, ridiculous. I sure hope that they will fix this in the new v7.

And yes, I uninstalled ZA exactly the way that they described on the ZA forum, not in safe mode of course, but sometimes certain files are locked. I even deleted a couple of registry keys, but I´m not sure if it was the right thing to do though. Because, the problem is that all of a sudden after uninstalling v6.5, I´m not able to install v6.1 at all, I get an error message, this however does seem to be a problem related to my system. :blink:

12. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

Although many ZoneAlarm users are able to install the latest ZA versions without using any special instructions I have some extra suggestions to help avoid problems when installing or upgrading to any version of ZA.

Download the latest ZA version and have your license key on hand if you are using a ZA paid version. If you are running another security suite or antivirus program such as Norton or McAfee and you are installing ZASS (ZA Security Suite) then completely and properly uninstall that software before continuing. Uninstall any previous product version of ZA if you install a different ZA product (i.e. if you had the ZA Free installed and are now installing the paid or trial version of the ZASS product). Just to be safe temporarily turn off your internet connection (especially important if you don't have a router). In the ZA program Un-Check the load ZA at startup option under Overview > Preferences, then reboot your machine. This is done to make sure that the ZA firewall including TrueVector Service is not running before you install the new version. If you are upgrading from a ZA v6.x or later then running the latest version (as of this post version 6.5.737.000) should install over the top just fine. If you have file or registry remnants from older ZA versions especially v4.5x or earlier then it would be highly advised to run the ZA uninstall program first before installing the new version (from the Windows desktop, Start > All Programs > Zone Labs, Uninstall ZoneLabs Security).

If you have run into previous difficulties during any ZA un-install or install procedures then use the recommended uninstall instructions provided in the ZA user forum. There is a simple set of uninstall instructions posted under the Helpful Hints and Links area. If you still are having problems you can post for more help and try using a different set of instructions if they are provided by some of the more experienced ZA user forum contributors.

Finally, it is advised to temporarily turn off the auto startup option for any real time antivirus or antispyware software you are running (then reboot) to avoid conflicts with the ZA installation or to prevent those security programs from blocking any changes required for ZA to install correctly. Run the ZA installation program and choose the Clean Install option when asked during the ZA program installation phase. After a successful ZA installation then re-enable your internet connection. It is recommended to let ZA auto configure itself by default and let ZA download and install any updates for its components. For the best results I would not recommend importing the configuration or settings from your previously installed version of ZA. You can manually make any customizations or changes to your ZA program configuration later. After all ZA updates are finished then re-enable your other security programs (re-enable their load at startup options and reboot) one at a time to test for compatibility and to allow any required ZA firewall permissions that pop up for those programs.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  13. Rasheed187

Thanks for the help but I have already followed all the instructions found on the ZA forum and like I said before, looks like ZoneLabs screwed up bigtime, because I ain´t the only one with serious problems with v6.5.

I at least hope that I will be able to install the older v6.1, because at the moment I´m getting an error message, very strange, I do not know what´s causing this, I will try to fix it but this all is really starting to get on my nerves, why can´t ZoneLabs build a good uninstaller? Come one we´re living in 2006. :gack:

14. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Here is a clean uninstall procedure that has worked for me everytime. You have to follow the directions exactly as it says. If it doesn't work for you, you missed a step.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=142228
    I use the newest version of ZA Pro and yes it does have it's quirks of instabilities.

The one poster SoCalReview, he is right about unchecking the "start with windows" and turn off everything in the program: email protection, program control, identity protection, antispyware and reboot. Then perform the "clean uninstall".

I'm sorry you guys are having problems with ZA.

I first installed ZA 9 months ago and the only conflict I have had was losing my winsock. I had to reinstall windows soooo many times until I could find the problem. The problem was after ZA was installed and I rebooted, I lost the winsock.

I took the time to track it down cuz it's been the easiest for me to learn. I'm not an advanced user where I can use Jetico, Tiny, etc.

I discovered the whole culprit was that damn spyware module. So I leave it off because I have a dedicated AnitSpyware program I run anyway. The spyware module does not get a long with Nod32 on my system.

To prove this on the next clean install I left the spyware module off and rebooted and everything has been fine since. So to me it was worth it.

I had been playing around for 21/2 years with suites and different stand alone products and I finally found what not only protects my system very well, but what I understand the easiest. Now that I've found it I will continue to stick with it.

Also, a lot of people install ZA with out properly removing the previous FW and then these people walk away on a sour note with this program when it wasn't it's fault in the first place. But they don't realize that.

Another common, a lot of people try to install this program with all their other programs running, they all need to be shut down so there is no interference.

Good luck too all of you.

15. Rasheed187

Well I never really had serious problems with ZA either (before this) and it´s still my favorite firewall, that´s why all of this is so annoying.

And at the ZA forum they told me to also clean the "Temp Folder", so I might have missed that, but it wasn´t mentioned in the removal instruction guide. Oh btw, I now see that I didn´t add the "/clean" parameter, so I hope it will fix things, thanks for the help. :)

16. Rilla927

Rasheed don't forget the space /clean, then clean temp files, then do a search for internet logs and delete.

I did forget to mention I found one file from ZA in Windows, so take a look and delete it.

Hope this helps!

17. Rasheed187

Yes I hope it will help but you know what´s funny, ever since I do not load zclient.exe on startup anymore, my PC boots up a lot faster, so it actually does have an advantage running a half crippled ZA. :D

18. Rilla927

I know ZA is a bit heavy.

Did the uninstall work for you?

19. Rasheed187

No, I haven´t tried yet, I was a bit lazy the last couple of days, and besides, I have to prepare myself mentally :D, I don´t think I can handle another failure. o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.